Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:20 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,844,527 times

Advertisements

Confidence in our representative government is consistently low so why do we keep this up?
With the internet and so many other avenues for our voices to be heard. Why do we still need to vote for someone to send to our Capital cities.
To me this seems archaic. It goes back to a time when America was a rural nation and the method of electing someone to represent them was the only option for governance.
When will society be able to throw the bums out and not have to replace them.

Every American citizen gets an electronic voter ID and votes on laws and regulations that will regulate our society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 09:59 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
One small glitch: who would create the laws and regulations that regulate our society?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:00 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,902 times
Yea, lets abolish Representative government and make Obama our dictator for life.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:04 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
In the REAL WORLD, we have to have laws and regulations. The fairest way to handle it is by democratically electing representatives to decide what those laws and regulations will be.

Any other system would cause mass anarchy and chaos.

We are a society of laws. Without laws, we would all be less free. I DO believe the government should be less involved in our lives, but abolishing representative government would be a disaster.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:18 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,053,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
In the REAL WORLD, we have to have laws and regulations. The fairest way to handle it is by democratically electing representatives to decide what those laws and regulations will be.

We are a society of laws. Without laws, we would all be less free. I DO believe the government should be less involved in our lives, but abolishing representative government would be a disaster.
The American system deserves our respect. The people in power in the last 2 decades do not.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
The American system deserves our respect. The people in power in the last 2 decades do not.
Right on!

Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,945 times
Quote:

No problem. Elected officials should decide what laws should be brought to the table. BUT... lets have THE PEOPLE vote, not just elected officials. With the communication tech of today the "old" way of doing business needs to change. The world is evolving, why isn't our Gov process ?!

The next argument is going to be that the people are too stupid to handle such a responsibility...

Old 05-04-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
No problem. Elected officials should decide what laws should be brought to the table. BUT... lets have THE PEOPLE vote, not just elected officials. With the communication tech of today the "old" way of doing business needs to change. The world is evolving, why isn't our Gov process ?!

The next argument is going to be that the people are too stupid to handle such a responsibility...
Do you want to have a ballot that consists of thousands of items a year OR to have to go vote several times a month or so?

I should also add that the current system helps to prevent a majority from excessively trampling on the rights of the minority and, while I would hardly call most Americans "stupid", the simple reality is that the average American doesn't have time to evaluate every single detail, potential benefit, and potential consequence of each piece of legislation.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:55 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,945 times
Quote:
Do you want to have a ballot that consists of thousands of items a year OR to have to go vote several times a month or so?
You open and deal with thousands of pieces of electronic mail every year addressed to you don't you ? Probably most of which is junk but you still deal with it. I don't see a problem with the people voting on issues pertaining to their jurisdiction as they come to fruition and don't see them in the thousands for each individual person. Overall there would be thousands but not for individually.

I didn't know being involved with how your county, state and country is run would be such a problem ?! I guess the people are too stupid to be involved with Gov and should just be ruled instead like we currently are...

Old 05-04-2009, 11:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I suspect that TomDot would approve of limiting the franchise to voters with the electronic communication capability. After all anyone without email or a ??? probably is too old, stupid or out of touch to actually vote. Particularly to vote the way TD would approve.

No thanks, I like it the way it is. Now for an actual Democratic majority in the House and Senate.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies