Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 06:33 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Did someone complain about a post that "doesn't even make sense"?

It makes sense to me. Why attack Pelosi in the first place? It's to take the focus off of the real issue. Guess others here give reps (thank you) to nonsensical ramblings.

When I was a witness in a trial I was warned that, when the defense attorney begins stomping his feet and pounding his fists on the table, it means he has no facts or evidence. I'm not a lawyer, but I think it's a common expression in the field or maybe it's a famous quote, but this is what he said to me.

When lawyers have the facts on their client's side, they pound on the facts.
When they have the law on their side, they pound on the law.
When they have neither the facts nor the law on their side, they pound on the table.

Maybe politicians do the same thing, since there seems to be a lot of table pounding here by the Republicans. Maybe this made it a bit clearer for you or are you still confused?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why everyone is falling for this GOP smokescreen. Whether Pelosi knew anything or not, there are quite a few members of the past administration who were responsible for ginning up documents and applying pressure on key agencies to break the law and use torture.

The worst she can be accused of is knowing the administration was breaking the law (and doing nothing about it). That's a far cry from being part of Cheney's cabal which actually did break the law.
Exactly!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 06:41 PM

157 posts, read 180,558 times
Quote:
If terrorists attack this country again and kill a few thousand more of us, will Nancy Pelosi call another press conference, to apologize to us for sniping at Republicans and trashing government agencies instead of helping to defend the United States of America?
Makes perfect sense to me. She changes with the political winds....no courage in her beliefs.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
It makes sense to me. Why attack Pelosi in the first place? It's to take the focus off of the real issue. Guess others here give reps (thank you) to nonsensical ramblings.

When I was a witness in a trial I was warned that, when the defense attorney begins stomping his feet and pounding his fists on the table, it means he has no facts or evidence. I'm not a lawyer, but I think it's a common expression in the field or maybe it's a famous quote, but this is what he said to me.

When lawyers have the facts on their client's side, they pound on the facts.
When they have the law on their side, they pound on the law.
When they have neither the facts nor the law on their side, they pound on the table.

Maybe politicians do the same thing, since there seems to be a lot of table pounding here by the Republicans. Maybe this made it a bit clearer for you or are you still confused?

Exactly!!
Nancy Pelosi is the only one fist pounding, lol. For the record...I want it all out. I want America to decide if waterboarding equals beheading. I've got faith the average citizen will be able to see through the faux outrage. But hey, if Republicans go down, they're bringing everybody that knew about it with them. Pelosi is just the first. Be careful what you ask for.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:56 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissyK View Post
Nancy Pelosi is the only one fist pounding, lol. For the record...I want it all out. I want America to decide if waterboarding equals beheading. I've got faith the average citizen will be able to see through the faux outrage. But hey, if Republicans go down, they're bringing everybody that knew about it with them. Pelosi is just the first. Be careful what you ask for.
Why are you bringing up beheading? Does this mean you admit that we are on the same level as terrorists? It doesn't matter what another country does or did when it comes to our ethics. We are a nation of laws. Other countries stone women to death for shaming the family. So what? I don't live there, but I do live in the United States of America where we do not condone torture or other crimes against humanity.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:59 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
It's a spin game. Obama and company go after Bush as a diversion and the tables get turned and now Pelosi is the target of a diversion. Have the real truth be told and not just the partisan doubletalk and we'd have both sides marching off to prison. And America would be much better off.
But Pelosi is going under the bus.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Why are you bringing up beheading? Does this mean you admit that we are on the same level as terrorists? It doesn't matter what another country does or did. We are a nation of laws. Other countries stone women to death for shaming the family. So what? I don't live there, but I do live in the United States of America where we do not condone torture or other crimes against humanity.
Notice I said "faux" because it's beyond ridiculous to call waterboarding torture. But rock on...let it all out. Let's put the truth commissions on TV, every station, 8 hours a day. Let Americans decide. I have faith they'll see right through the GAME this administration is playing.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:08 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Pelosi going is long overdue.
She should go and go NOW.
She is as welcome now as a fart in a space suit.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:09 PM

749 posts, read 947,160 times
Quote:
It is clear that Nancy Pelosi was briefed in 2002 on the waterboarding and other techniques being used at the time... and she raised no objections. Only much later, did she begin lambasting President Bush over everything from the Surge to the prisoners at Gitmo... and waterboarding.

It is equally clear that, while she had no problem with the terrorists who planned the 9/11 attacks being waterboarded, she later decided to pretend outrage over that same waterboarding... when she needed to use it as a tool to destroy President Bush.

Here we have the Speaker of the House, leader of the House and third in line for the Presidency, ignoring the importance of serious and careful planning of the war against terrorists, and flip-flopping over it randomly, using it simply for the purpose of destroying her political opponents and furthering her own political agenda in Washington DC.

Is this the Democrat "leadership" the American people deserve, as our enemies who declared war on us continue to plot and attack us all over the world?

Pelosi's behavior, carried on year after year now, is beyond shocking, verging on disgraceful. She clearly considers her personal fight against Republicans, far more important than the fight against terrorists who killed three thousand civilians in New York and elsewhere. And she apparently has no problem bending and twisting her party's efforts into a vendetta against anyone who objects, going so far as to accuse the entire CIA of lying and misleading her when her machinations are brought to light.

What benefits, exactly, are the American people reaping from having this woman in such a responsible position in the American government? Is there any chance she will stop attacking and tearing down our own people, long enough to notice that the country is in severe trouble on many fronts and needs leadership from SOMEONE in Congress?

I think that this is a huge distraction to get the media off track to what is really happening in congress..............I wonder what that could be............we'll have to wait and see.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
It is clear that Nancy Pelosi was briefed in 2002 on the waterboarding and other techniques being used at the time... and she raised no objections. Only much later, did she begin lambasting President Bush over everything from the Surge to the prisoners at Gitmo... and waterboarding.

It is equally clear that, while she had no problem with the terrorists who planned the 9/11 attacks being waterboarded, she later decided to pretend outrage over that same waterboarding... when she needed to use it as a tool to destroy President Bush.

Here we have the Speaker of the House, leader of the House and third in line for the Presidency, ignoring the importance of serious and careful planning of the war against terrorists, and flip-flopping over it randomly, using it simply for the purpose of destroying her political opponents and furthering her own political agenda in Washington DC.

Is this the Democrat "leadership" the American people deserve, as our enemies who declared war on us continue to plot and attack us all over the world?

Pelosi's behavior, carried on year after year now, is beyond shocking, verging on disgraceful. She clearly considers her personal fight against Republicans, far more important than the fight against terrorists who killed three thousand civilians in New York and elsewhere. And she apparently has no problem bending and twisting her party's efforts into a vendetta against anyone who objects, going so far as to accuse the entire CIA of lying and misleading her when her machinations are brought to light.

What benefits, exactly, are the American people reaping from having this woman in such a responsible position in the American government? Is there any chance she will stop attacking and tearing down our own people, long enough to notice that the country is in severe trouble on many fronts and needs leadership from SOMEONE in Congress?
I finally read this post all the way through. It's spot on...I might just post it elsewhere (with your permission, of course).

Old 05-15-2009, 08:37 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Right. This "throat-slashing" of Obama started before he even became President. For 8 years: Bush and Cheney shredded the U.S. Constitution, spied on American citizens, and took our nation to an illegal war--sacrificing young American lives in the process. And managed to bring down the economy at the same time. Not even remotely comparable.

As I said: I don't have to "get used to it." The whole world is watching in disbelief as the Republican party goes down in flames. Soon, there will be nothing to "get used to."
Oh, you forget the little truism that "turnabout is fair play", did you? The "whole world is watching in disbelief" as Obama attempts to dismantle the greatest political and economic system the world has ever known.

Don't continue to be one of his weak little enablers. Sorry that your little feelings are temporarily hurt, or you'd damned better get used to it, because the majority of Americans don't want Obama's dirty little final product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies