Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 03:26 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,361,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Stay tuned! To be continued on Fox News and Rush Limbaugh!
Or you could do your own thinking, for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 03:26 PM

683 posts, read 826,104 times
Affirmative action is a corrupt crock of doo-doo.... Something that may have been needed and started for a good cause at one time has now back fired on society. Just look at certain municipal W/MBE programs.. A hard working American white boy cannot be awarded the contract unless he comes up with 17% to 25% minority participation. In some cases one would have to sub-out work that would typically be self performed to a "qualified minority contractor". In other cases one might have to pay a "pass through" premium on materials in order to show adequate participation... Didn't they used to call that rackateering???

And, as far as one leading by their "feelings", what happens if they are female and your case falls on that certain time of the month??? The supreme court is no place for "feelings"..... How about Constitutional Law??? Oh yeah, I forgot the liberal lefty's are attempting to destroy that every chance they get....

Old 05-04-2009, 03:28 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,978,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Why not decide the pick must be of Native American blood, how many judges are Native Americans?
Actually, I think that would be a great idea. Do you have someone in mind? Keep in mind that first and foremost it has to be someone who's qualified for the job.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Sniper View Post
Affirmative action is a corrupt crock of doo-doo.... Something that may have been needed and started for a good cause at one time has now back fired on society. Just look at certain municipal W/MBE programs.. A hard working American white boy cannot be awarded the contract unless he comes up with 17% to 25% minority participation. In some cases one would have to sub-out work that would typically be self performed to a "qualified minority contractor". In other cases one might have to pay a "pass through" premium on materials in order to show adequate participation... Didn't they used to call that rackateering???

And, as far as one leading by their "feelings", what happens if they are female and your case falls on that certain time of the month??? The supreme court is no place for "feelings"..... How about Constitutional Law??? Oh yeah, I forgot the liberal lefty's are attempting to destroy that every chance they get....
Cheer up, Sniper. Blind people get preference in some areas, you know.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:31 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,250,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Maybe to you politics should be all about choosing a supreme court justice, but not to me. A person's politics, ideology, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, should have nothing to do with nominating a judge.

Personally, I want the justices on the SCOTUS to make decisions based on our Constitution, and protect all our rights, not create new laws out of empathy or personal feelings, at the expense of our rights and the Constitution.

BTW, how many circuit court justices are Hispanic females? Why not decide the pick must be of Native American blood, how many judges are Native Americans? Should we pick an appointee from either of those lists, regardless of other vastly more qualified judges?

Some people are so partisan in everything they look at.
I think in a majority female country, the fact that there is only one female SC Justice is a frigging joke... and the problem here is that they are not elected... they are appointed... so, yes, I think race, gender, etc. have to be considered when you are appointing judges to the highest bench. Obviously you will not choose someone unqualified based on these considerations (unless you are GHWB of course) but it should rightly be a consideration.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Sniper View Post
And, as far as one leading by their "feelings", what happens if they are female and your case falls on that certain time of the month???
Oh please oh please oh PLEASE let that be Rush Limbaugh's argument! Oh, and can we get Boehner to say it too?

I mean c'mon, if they can say dumb things like "I want the president to fail" then surely they can say something just as moronic like this. C'mon Rush, you know you want to. Please, please, if you try hard you can drive a few thousand more out of the GOP.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
I think in a majority female country, the fact that there is only one female SC Justice is a frigging joke... and the problem here is that they are not elected... they are appointed... so, yes, I think race, gender, etc. have to be considered when you are appointing judges to the highest bench. Obviously you will not choose someone unqualified based on these considerations (unless you are GHWB of course) but it should rightly be a consideration.
Last time I checked, Obama was left-handed. Left-handers make up only 10% of the population.

So what is up wth THAT?

Old 05-04-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Last time I checked, Obama was left-handed. Left-handers make up only 10% of the population.

So what is up wth THAT?
You want Obama to serve on the SCOTUS? Doesn't he have enough to do?

Old 05-04-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
You want Obama to serve on the SCOTUS? Doesn't he have enough to do?
Better him than Bubba Clinton.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:40 PM

38,065 posts, read 22,219,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
We are appointing judges, not voting in a beauty contest. The best person for the job - period. This is not position where we placate people feelings with the best special interest, feel good candidate.

Would we dare do this in the NBA, or NFL? Would we demand that the Lakers play Filipino, Hispanic and women players? No, but somehow we would demand this of truly important positions in government, but not a freaking sports team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies