Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:27 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times

Advertisements

Yesterday there were a couple of cop cars in front of one of the homes in my neighborhood. As I left my house, I asked a guy who had just walked by them what was going on. He replied, "They went to the house of the black renters. They're probably getting evicted."

What would you have done or said in response?

PS- I've posted my response a couple of posts down. But before you read it, it would be interesting to see what others would do.

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 04-04-2007 at 07:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 07:33 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,144,115 times
Wow! I woulda been stunned at the ignorance! I have really thought a lot about something witty to say back but I'm just so stunned. I guess I woulda just said something like Oh and what basis do you have for making this assumption?? He probably wouldn't of had anything else to say.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:37 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
Hard to say. Were the people the sort of people who might get evicted or was the guy inferring that it was likely because of their race, or is it that the only way guy knew to describe them? Was he a complete stranger to the situation or not? Normally it's the sheriff's dept. who does the evictions, not the regular cops.

If I knew them personally and their name was Jones, I might say, well the Jones are hard working people, I doubt that would happen. Or, no Ms. Jones' son had his bike stolen this morning or whatever.

Now if the guy walking by was a friend of mine I'd get all over his case, but if the guy was a stranger, I'd let it slide.

If he's not a regular neighbor and he's walking around, he might be a psycho stalker and you can't be too careful these days.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:04 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times
Okay, so here's the way it went-

Two sheriff's cars were in front of a neighbor's house and a guy walks by with his dog. He walks by every day and I have waved at him whenever I have seen him.

I ask, "What's going on down there?"

He replies seriously, "They went to the house of the black renters. They're probably getting evicted."

I answer, equally seriously "Oh, the black's house. It must be an eviction then."

Then he smiles really big and nods his head up an down knowingly.

And then I say, "You know, what you said was really racist." And he just turned around and walked away.

AND, by bi-racial grand daughter was with me.

So the next question is- since I see him every day (he's not a neighbor- lives about a half mile away), what do I do from now on when I pass him. Sometimes I am walking my dog when I see him. Do I just wave when I'm driving or say hi when I pass, just consider that he has been corrected?

Old 04-04-2007, 08:05 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
I would only nod.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:19 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,614,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Yesterday there were a couple of cop cars in front of one of the homes in my neighborhood. As I left my house, I asked a guy who had just walked by them what was going on. He replied, "They went to the house of the black renters. They're probably getting evicted."

PS- I've posted my response a couple of posts down. But before you read it, it would be interesting to see what others would do.
I probably would have snapped into my biggest ultra-queen gay character.
If there is anything bigots hate more than black people, it's gay people.

Then I would have started to talk to the guy, called him cute, touched him on the shoulder once or twice and asked for his phone number. Given my size he probably would have said "I'm not gay" instead of trying to hurt me. I would have said "Sorry, my gaydar must be off today. You were sending me all the right signals". "You be sure to let me know if you change your mind cause you sure are a cutie"

....and then walked off with a switch.

Having fun with these idiots is absolutely PARAMOUNT, lol.

Either that or say "Yeah, my wife is black and she can't stand'em either". Depends on how good of an actor you are, and how comfortable you are with your own sexuality, lol.

~T

Old 04-04-2007, 08:46 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,828,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post

Well that depends, if there was more than one black family in the neighborhood, I would of asked , which ones? If not I would have said , Oh! Is this a trick question?

Old 04-04-2007, 09:04 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,098,308 times
Honestly, I think I would have laughed. I smiled just reading this post. It seems so funny and absurd in an Archie Bunker sort of way.

I went to visit family this past weekend in rural PA. My sister's friend, who is in her early 20s, mentioned that she went on a job interview and was interviewed by a black woman. And can you believe it, the black woman hired this young, white girl! The girl was just shocked, that a black woman 1. existed, 2. was in charge, and 3. would hire a white person. It's just plain ignorance on the girl's part; it's very, very white up there. I gently said something along the lines of, "Yes, well, you know in most other areas there are many people of different ethnicities, they do all sorts of jobs and aren't necessarily biased against white people." It was a real learning experience for this girl! lol

Old 04-04-2007, 10:15 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,828,106 times
So the next question is- since I see him every day (he's not a neighbor- lives about a half mile away), what do I do from now on when I pass him. Sometimes I am walking my dog when I see him. Do I just wave when I'm driving or say hi when I pass, just consider that he has been corrected?
I'm sorry but this just seems way to over the top for you to be serious!

Old 04-05-2007, 07:35 AM

1,247 posts, read 927,288 times
Next time you see him, point and laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies