Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:52 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post
The girl was fourteen years-old. With children of that age, a "relationship"
generally means that a parent may take them to the movies, roller skating, to a sporting event or perhaps a school-sponsored dance. They talk on the telephone and spend time together at school. I didn't mean to imply that they were having a sexual relationship or living together. None of this, however, addresses the issue of violence against females in America, which is the thread topic.

I suppose some posters overlooked this info; I'm amazed that anyone could
blame this girl's parents. As the facts have come out, the young man wanted her to be his girlfriend and she refused, preferring to be with her girlfriends (FRIENDS, not lovers). So he lured her to an empty house to "talk," then shot and killed her. It escapes me how this could be the fault of anyone but the 16 year-old boy and his parents; blaming the victim is reprehensible.
For the record, "relationship" does not denote sexual activity; we all have relationships...friends, family, people like mail carriers that we see regularly.
People have relationships with their teachers, their pastors, priests and rabbis. It's one thing for men to make misogynistic and/or judgmental statements, but to see women do it is sobering; is there an element of self-loathing that would cause one to condemn a young girl who's been murdered? Or her grieving parents? The idea that parents have control over everything that their children do is ridiculous; I'm sure that we could
have an entire thread of testimonials from posters here, admitting some of the things they've "gotten away with."
Clearly, this girl was trying to avoid trouble, not get into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 07:46 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post

I suppose some posters overlooked this info; I'm amazed that anyone could
blame this girl's parents. As the facts have come out, the young man wanted her to be his girlfriend and she refused, preferring to be with her girlfriends (FRIENDS, not lovers). So he lured her to an empty house to "talk," then shot and killed her. It escapes me how this could be the fault of anyone but the 16 year-old boy and his parents; blaming the victim is reprehensible.
For the record, "relationship" does not denote sexual activity; we all have relationships...friends, family, people like mail carriers that we see regularly.
People have relationships with their teachers, their pastors, priests and rabbis. It's one thing for men to make misogynistic and/or judgmental statements, but to see women do it is sobering; is there an element of self-loathing that would cause one to condemn a young girl who's been murdered? Or her grieving parents? The idea that parents have control over everything that their children do is ridiculous; I'm sure that we could
have an entire thread of testimonials from posters here, admitting some of the things they've "gotten away with."
Clearly, this girl was trying to avoid trouble, not get into it.
Yes, well some people will ALWAYS blame the victim, regardless of the circumstances. To say that a girl or boy should not date until they're at least 16 is absurd, I had a "boyfriend" when I was in 3rd grade for god sakes! My first real boyfriend didn't happen until I was 16, but I had lots of boys that I "hung out with". It's realistic, people start developing feelings for the opposite sex a lot younger than 16, parents can do all they can but you can't help what happens on the inside. The guy was a lunatic, no question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies