Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:19 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Reasons people go from liberal to conservative:

1) experience of a violent attack Nothing like an attack by a thug to make you stop questioning what society and evil capitalism might have done to force unfortunate people to act out in violent ways. An attack can turn you into a law-and-order person real quick.
2) make real money (except in law or government. These two fields are exceptions because they involving using the government to rip people off.) Once you start making money, you become a acutely aware of government on all levels trying to grab it away from you and give it people who sit on their brains all day.
3) have children. I think this has to do with becoming unselfish in a hurry. You realize you aren't here just for yourself anymore. The exception here is leftwing women seeking abortions. They never seem to grow out of their unselfish phase.
4) start a business. This focuses your mind towards efficiency, accountablity, and the bottom line; three things totally absent in any liberal enterprise.
5) mature. Most people grow up, and when they do, they see how things really work and how government truly rips people off.

Most people do mature and become conservative if they were not already. The only old people who are liberals either 1) never grew up; never matured 2) got dementia 3)have always lived a fearful life where they would gladly give up freedom for security.

Reasons people go from conservative to liberal:

1) Hallucinogens. The brain has to be altered in some way for this to happen.
2) Car accident. Same as in #1. The brain has to have been injured or altered in some way
3) Dementia. Same as in #1. Brain trouble.
4) Something they did wrong causes misfortune. They started a business that failed so they blame capitalism; they get a divorce so they blame God or the Catholic Church. In short, they are bitter about their own shortcomings, so they take the easy route to withdraw and blame a conservative entity. This route is the opposite of perseverance and personal responsibility.
Dumbest thread of the day.
First off no one, except a handful of extremists, are actaully conservative or liberal on all the issues, in fact most people are more near the center than either extreme. Curious, where did you pick up the above ramblings from the far side, I know you did not write it so let's see what sort of "source" you are getting your koolaide from.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:21 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
What if you're middle of the road and have been there all your life?

That is actualy where the majority of Americans spend most of their lives.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:26 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
My 19 year old niece at college has just switched from being a liberal (last election, her whole family voted for Obama) to being a conservative. Here is one of her quotes:

Quote:
It's just that my generation and parts of the one before are basically saying that a minority should be able to do whatever they want and stomp all over the majority.
LOL she's really smart and gets "it" long before turning 30 years old!!! I'm so proud of her!!! Of course, my bf and I helped enlighten her.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:48 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
I abandoned tradition conservatism for one simple reason. While I still have a taste for meat, I figured out about the bear traps. Conservative instinct is used against itself with our counterintuitive political economy. Ironically it may come to a point where I will be forced to see more eye to eye with the liberals. After all, a cookie is a cookie.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:28 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:

1) experience of a violent attack Nothing like an attack by a thug to make you stop questioning what society and evil capitalism might have done to force unfortunate people to act out in violent ways. An attack can turn you into a law-and-order person real quick.
2) make real money (except in law or government. These two fields are exceptions because they involving using the government to rip people off.) Once you start making money, you become a acutely aware of government on all levels trying to grab it away from you and give it people who sit on their brains all day.
3) have children. I think this has to do with becoming unselfish in a hurry. You realize you aren't here just for yourself anymore. The exception here is leftwing women seeking abortions. They never seem to grow out of their unselfish phase.
4) start a business. This focuses your mind towards efficiency, accountablity, and the bottom line; three things totally absent in any liberal enterprise.
5) mature. Most people grow up, and when they do, they see how things really work and how government truly rips people off.

Most people do mature and become conservative if they were not already. The only old people who are liberals either 1) never grew up; never matured 2) got dementia 3)have always lived a fearful life where they would gladly give up freedom for security.

2) Car accident. Same as in #1. The brain has to have been injured or altered in some way
4) Something they did wrong causes misfortune. They started a business that failed so they blame capitalism; they get a divorce so they blame God or the Catholic Church. In short, they are bitter about their own shortcomings, so they take the easy route to withdraw and blame a conservative entity. This route is the opposite of perseverance and personal responsibility.
Too bad I can't rep you again

The movement from conservative to liberal is an abandonment of personal responsiblity.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:38 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:

I was wondering how you were going to explain people going from loving freedom and human rights, to becoming a liberal, now i know.

I can see how someone could have been a liberal and then switch to conservatism, once they realized what liberals were about, e.g. tyranny by the master minds in government, oppression by the political elites who the desire to rule over others.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:42 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
That is actualy where the majority of Americans spend most of their lives.
It's a close call whether most Americans are conservative or whisy-washy moderates, but liberals are always dead last. But since liberals, by definition, wish to impose their ideological beliefs on everyone else, they appear to be a larger minority then they are.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:56 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,058 times
Drugs... drugs...more drugs.
Your Mom, daughter and Sister came out of the closet and announced they are fur traders.
You are on BF number 6 of whom you have had your 6th child out of wedlock.
McD's is your occupation of choice.
The only thing you know about guns is the armed robbery you stumbled across in which the only thing you heard was "Yo man...lemme get some money!"
You lost your drivers license in which you take a taxi and pay with change.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:52 PM

537 posts, read 818,984 times
Quote:

Sigh, more unnecessary liberal bashing and blatant stereotyping. I don't know why I expected an honest and intelligent discussion on why people switch political affiliations. I should have known better. This is the political forums. No intelligent discussions here. Just rabidly partisan, foaming at the mouth idiots who ignore reason and set up strawman to beat down in order to feel good about themselves.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:54 PM

537 posts, read 818,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
It's a close call whether most Americans are conservative or whisy-washy moderates, but liberals are always dead last. But since liberals, by definition, wish to impose their ideological beliefs on everyone else, they appear to be a larger minority then they are.
Nice job stereotyping liberals and moderates and being a closed-minded partisan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies