Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:19 PM

61 posts, read 231,703 times

Advertisements

Green,

Yes, but 20% end up getting back on full welfare and they keep the cars! Do you agree with that?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 09:36 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,145,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
If you are on welfare in MA, you can get a free car. Free insurance, free repairs. Heck, they'll throw in free AAA. It costs the state $400k per year. This is happening in a state that is in a fiscal crisis and is looking at raising the income tax, the sales tax, the gas tax, and/or tolls.

Free cars for poor fuel road rage - BostonHerald.com

What a country!
What? Are you Serious? That is so so so DISGUSTING. Who are these people doing this? If you don't have a JOB, obviously NO MONEY why in the world WOULD YOU HAVE A VEHICLE? But the PEOPLE GIVING them one is even more DISGUSTING to me.

WOW... yeah thank god I don't live there because I would HATE IT so much.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:27 PM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
I don't get it - why do people attack the source?

That's how it's done around here. Path of least resistance, debate-wise.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:31 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
Hmm...this thread seems to be an outlet for hating on the poor.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:05 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barco View Post
Yes, but 20% end up getting back on full welfare and they keep the cars! Do you agree with that?!
No, I don't like that ... but I try to keep things in perspective. They get to keep a car that was donated to charity, and they no longer receive car-related assistance.

Also, a 20% failure rate means that 80% of the people in the program are having some measure of success. To me, that's a glass that's way more than half full.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:52 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
From the link:

Kehoe defended the program, saying the state breaks even by cutting welfare payments to the family - about $6,000 a year.
So MA is laying off cops and firefighters but those welfare recipients should get those cars... In fact, Deval Patrick increased the give-away this year...

Old 05-08-2009, 03:21 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,213,975 times
Quote:
If you are on welfare in MA, you can get a free car. Free insurance, free repairs. Heck, they'll throw in free AAA. It costs the state $400k per year. This is happening in a state that is in a fiscal crisis and is looking at raising the income tax, the sales tax, the gas tax, and/or tolls.

Free cars for poor fuel road rage - BostonHerald.com

What a country!
Misleading thread title........did you read the ENTIRE article? The cars (about 65 per year) actually decrease the cash benefits given to underpriviliged people and those living in poverty.

What's up, Seamush? Would you rather just give people CASH instead of a benefit which could help them get back to work?

FROM THE ARTICLE YOU POSTED:

"The program, which started in 2006, distributes cars donated by non-profit charities such as Good News Garage, a Lutheran charity, which also does the repair work on the car and bills the state.
Kehoe defended the program, saying the state breaks even by cutting welfare payments to the family - about $6,000 a year"

Old 05-08-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
So MA is laying off cops and firefighters but those welfare recipients should get those cars... In fact, Deval Patrick increased the give-away this year...
Ahhhh, so you don't like the LUTHERANS? You don't like what they give to charity?

Would you like to have the Lutherans pay salaries of the cops and firefighters........ah....well, I guess that would be a problem for your local government to have a RELIGIOUS organization paying such salaries.

Maybe you guys who live there should be paying more taxes, or have a local/state hiring freeze on jobs which are not related to life-saving and protection of the citizens, and maybe you could have a tax increase in order not to LOSE critical services like those provided by cops and firefighters.

Did your state take any money from the stimulus package?

Or, Seamush, do you just really not like poor people?

Old 05-08-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
They attack the source because its hard to defend a program that actually provides a free car, gas, and insurance to somebody who was too stupid to pay attention in high school. MA is broke, and they are giving away free cars.

Note: MA has determined that the majority of welfare receipient are unmarried, and have not completed High School. Think back to High School. Its hard for me as I am so darn old. Anyway, remember those dumb-*ss kids who goofed off, refused to study, ditched class and then dropped out when they got pregnant or tired of school? Those are the same ones on welfare. Should we reward that behavior with a free car? Not in my view.
Ahhhhh, so way back then you guys didn't have any students with learning disabilities? No "functionally retarded students" either? You didn't have any students from broken homes who were nutritionally deprived either? No students who had to take care of alcoholic parents, and no students who had to work to help feed their sibblings? So ALL the students who did not succeed in your high school all those years ago were just lazy? AMAZING!

Would you prefer that those cars which were donated to the Lutherans just be donated to the nearest used car lot to be sold for a benefit of the used car salesman/woman?

Old 05-08-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
That is pathetic. I can understand free transit passes but a VEHICLE? I work hard for a living and I cannot afford a vehicle.
Did you read the entire article? There are CONDITIONS which have to be met before someone is given a car. They have to have a job or prove they could get one if they had a car; must be UNABLE to reach work by public transportation; and must be a family on WELFARE WITH CHILDREN!

EXCERPT FROM ARTICLE:

"Applicants for cars must have a job or prove they could get one if they had the car in order to qualify. Once they have the wheels, they must send DTA their pay stubs to prove they are employed.
To get the cars, they must be unable to reach work by public transportation and have a clean driving record. The program is only available to families on welfare with children."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies