Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 01:46 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Yeah.. Texas Rob.. and where are the ACTUAL NUMBERS to back THAT statement up..

Guess what.. there aren't? Because it's absolutely absured. Are there some that chose not to have insurance when they could afford it.. Im' sure there are..
but most just flat out can't afford it!

think that it's becaues they are "young" and don't need it.. well the age groups with the most uninsured are actually over 30..hardly the "we are invincible" age group.. I've posted the stats before and they are all rigth there in the census burea information..

it's what the right wing tells everyone to try and excuse away the actual problems.. yet not ONE PERSON in any debate I have had about that issue has actual posted numbers to PROVE what they say.. and have only pointed to OPINION articles that states an OPINION without FACTUAL NUMBERS to back up that statement..like the one you made.
Here is the thing though...after that speel. You have yet to explain just how and why "health care" is a "natural right".

Smoking is not a natural right either. I grant that. The difference though is that if one chooses to smoke, I don't know that anyone is putting forth the proposition that others are obligated to pay for the habit. A case very much different from the whole concept of guaranteed medical care. Which is what this whole "rights" concept revolves around. Just who and why should others pay for poor life choices?

Which really, as had been pointed out, basic medical care is guaranteed in this country anyway.

Here is something else. Why is it a "problem? Because you define it as such? The biggest "problem" as concerns high medical costs is government programs, lawsuits, and illegals swamping the system...which guarantees they will remain astronomical. But of course, the "solution" to the problem, is always more of the same medicine (pun intended).

Thomas Sowell is the best on all this (even though you might not like it):

http://www.news-record.com/content/2...lth_care_myths

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-09-2009 at 02:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 01:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I have to disagree.

We recently worked with a woman who was admitted to the Cancer Centers of America - a very good cancer treatment facility - and she has no insurance, very little money - and they are treating her like a queen - and doing everything possible to treat her cancer.
I agree that occasional indiviual patients can get help like that, but many more don't get the care they need. Someone has to take an interest in the patient and work on their behalf. A lot of people don't even know where to start with that.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:04 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Here is the thing though...after that speel. You have yet to explain just how and why "health care" is a "natural right".

Smoking is not a natural right either. I grant that. The difference though is that if one chooses to smoke, I don't know that anyone is putting forth the proposition that others are obligated to pay for the habit. A case very much different from the whole concept of guaranteed medical care. Which is what this whole "rights" concept revolves around. Just who and why should others pay for poor life choices?

Which really, as had been pointed out, basic medical care is guaranteed in this country anyway.
Basic carevis then a right bit what about ongoing care for those that needit? Or what about longer morse than basic cancer treatments. Life is what u were born with given by god as is the ability to sustain our lives through medicine? So does the lupus patient deserve to die from an otherwise manageable disease because she or he was denied med insurance bit on her own vann not afford the mess. Do then only the wealthy deserve to live because that is basically what I'd boils down to. The right to live is why we provide care in Ers . But just because we do that does not mean that people aren't dying from lack of access to mess. I think the families of those who have died from lack of access would disagree with you

Old 05-09-2009, 02:09 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Basic carevis then a right bit what about ongoing care for those that needit? Or what about longer morse than basic cancer treatments. Life is what u were born with given by god as is the ability to sustain our lives through medicine? So does the lupus patient deserve to die from an otherwise manageable disease because she or he was denied med insurance bit on her own vann not afford the mess. Do then only the wealthy deserve to live because that is basically what I'd boils down to. The right to live is why we provide care in Ers . But just because we do that does not mean that people aren't dying from lack of access to mess. I think the families of those who have died from lack of access would disagree with you
TM -- the above needs some SERIOUS editing / spell checking

SERIOUS

Old 05-09-2009, 02:14 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
I think you need some orange juice.

Hope you feel better (really!).

Old 05-09-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
TM -- the above needs some SERIOUS editing / spell checking

SERIOUS
I know LOL my keyboard is nbroken it's what happens when liquid meets technology in a way it shouldn't LOL

Old 05-09-2009, 03:02 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
No one wants anybody to die...but everyone dies. There is no getting around it. So just how does a "right to live" exist? This makes less sense than a right to universal health care exists.

And BTW -- name those who have died for lack of medical care?

Some of us just accept certain things as a matter of trade-offs. Which is that in a free-market medical care system, then yes, those who have made wise decisions to prepare for possibilities will naturally get better care. The alternative is socialized medicine where all die equally sans any care nor compassion at all...and to boot? Get no treatment at all. Numbers on a chart somewhere....

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-09-2009 at 03:12 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 03:42 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
6 myth's GOP'ers believe about health care:

1. The US does'nt spend a larger percentage of its GDP then almost every other Western country on Health Care and still get poorer results.

2. People in other countries who save, live prudently and do the right thing can be bankrupted and ruined when they face a catastrophic illness or medical bill just like americans can.

3. Americans are'nt really worried about #2

4. #1 isn't hurting our competitiveness internationally.

5. Their are'nt other models for UHC then Canada's or the UK's

6. Crying "socailism" is a real position in this debate that will actually win votes or be taken seriously.

Last edited by OC Investor2; 05-09-2009 at 03:58 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
No one wants anybody to die...but everyone dies. There is no getting around it. So just how does a "right to live" exist? This makes less sense than a right to universal health care exists.

And BTW -- name those who have died for lack of medical care?

Some of us just accept certain things as a matter of trade-offs. Which is that in a free-market medical care system, then yes, those who have made wise decisions to prepare for possibilities will naturally get better care. The alternative is socialized medicine where all die equally sans any care nor compassion at all...and to boot? Get no treatment at all. Numbers on a chart somewhere....

There aer many.. but I can name one. Go to PBS website and watch Sick Around America.. then come back and tell me that people do not die because of lack of access to affordable healthcare.

And.. people skip meds, skimp on their meds becaue they are uninsured and can't afford their meds.. don't think that is killign them. I'm a diabetic.. I know.

Wise decisions.. you honestly think that access to medical care comes down to wise decisions in this country..LOL.. that's a hoot. Considering that many who have made "wise decisinos" still end up declaring bankruptcy and losing it all because of medical bills.

It shows you truly do not understand nor comprehend what the problems with the system are And so it's pointless even debating it with you if you thinkn it all comes down to someone maker smarter choices over another...

It's funny.. you think you made so many smart choices.. well..watch out.. Karma is a ***** you know.. just when you think you have been so smart and so responsible YOU could very easily end up on the other side of the argument scrathing your head.. life has a way of doing that to you.. and especially when coupled with a messed up system of healthcare like we have in the U.S.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
6 myth's GOP'ers believe about health care:

1. The US does'nt spend a larger percentage of its GDP then almost every other Western country on Health Care and still get poorer results.

2. People in other countries who save, live prudently and do the right thing can be bankrupted and ruined when they face a catastrophic illness or medical bill just like americans can.

3. Americans are'nt really worried about #2

4. #1 isn't hurting our competitiveness internationally.

5. Their are'nt other models for UHC then Canada's or the UK's

6. Crying "socailism" is a real position in this debate that will actually win votes or be taken seriously.

Reps to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies