Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 05:37 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times

Advertisements

What's new on Capitol Hill? Motherhood - CNN.com

There's an interesting new trend in Congress--motherhood. Several new moms are now serving in Congress. Rep. Linda Sanchez is about to become eighth woman to give birth while in office.

Any thoughts on how this will affect legislation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 05:52 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
How would pregnancy affect legislation?

Old 05-09-2009, 07:43 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times
I know when I had baby, it colored every opinion I held, and affected every aspect of my life. I think that's pretty typical, so why wouldn't it affect members of congress?

My opinions didn't change all that much, but certain things became more important to me, and I saw things from a different perspective. Child care and education issues hit home because you see first hand what the struggles are like. Some women experience sexism for the first time in their life when they have a baby, that's anothing thing that can influence your opinions.

I don't know why, but something about having a baby tends to strengthen your resolve, no matter which side of the political spectrum you're on. For example, sending troops into war hits you much harder when you look at your baby and realize he might have to fight some day. People with the opposite POV would probably feel a stronger resolve that sending troops to war means your baby will grow up in a safe world.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Becoming a mom for the first time certainly does change your perspective. You tend to see more things from the parents perspective. Hopefully, these new moms will be more empathetic to education and health care, two big issues that take up a lot of moms' time.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:41 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Hopefully these mom's will concentrate on what their CONSTITUENTS want them to concentrate on.

Hopefully they can intelligently control their emotions and thoughts.

Afterall, they are NOT the first PARENTS to be in Congress.

To me it's the responsibility of ALL members of Congress to do what is right as far as childcare, education, health care...to relegate these to "women's issues" is a step in the wrong direction (and a step backwards in equality). They are everyone's issues!
To call them "women's" issues will make them, unfortunately, less important is some people's eyes.
It also may alienate MEN who are in Congress who also have children and whose responsibilities in these areas are no less because they are men.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:51 AM

I don't think anyone was saying these are "women's issues". Health care, education, child care tend to be issues that are taken care of by the mom in many, if not most, families. Women who never gave a thought to these issues before having kids often become major advocates afterwards. That is my interpretation of the OPs first post.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:51 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
Gee, I hope that none of those women are democrats --- after all, a point that dems kept bringing up during the election was that Palin was a 'bad' mother for being in politics with small children, and a baby no less!
I'm sure that those dems on these boards who railed against palin based on her motherhood would also be against these congresswomen as well. Surely they wouldn't want to be hypocrites, would they?

Old 05-09-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Gee, I hope that none of those women are democrats --- after all, a point that dems kept bringing up during the election was that Palin was a 'bad' mother for being in politics with small children, and a baby no less!
I'm sure that those dems on these boards who railed against palin based on her motherhood would also be against these congresswomen as well. Surely they wouldn't want to be hypocrites, would they?
Now just who, on the major political scene, not here on CD, said that? Hillary Clinton? I doubt it. Barack Obama? Ditto. Biden, any of the other major players? I don't think so!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:55 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
camping!, Palin is/was a disgrace as a mother, not because she had a job! Unfortunately her stupidity has rubbed off on her daughter, it's like a nasty cycle that only education can stop...

Old 05-09-2009, 09:15 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
Hopefully they won't be introducing legislation to give parents more tax breaks......or trying to force companies to give women paid off maternity leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies