Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 03:03 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times

Advertisements

Whether Southerners or Northerners are more racist or not, is a pretty much moot point....they're ALL Americans. And the fact is, that ALL members of 'Secular, post-Protestant, liberal, Western societies'....(which means Western Europe, the USA, Australia, and a few others), are expected...and will ALWAYS be expected...to "pay (and CONTINUE to pay) for the sins of their past".. These sins include slavery, segregation, genocide, mistreatment of the Indians, etc etc etc.

The fact that almost the entire population of the world resides today on lands that were 'taken' by force in the past...that MANY societies practiced slavery, religious intolerance, genocide, 'ethnic cleansing', human sacrifice, cannibalism,racism, colonialism, and various forms of inhumanity (much of it on a far WORSE scale than the US, and some of it continuing on into the present day) does not matter...Blame is assigned to those who will accept it, and 'those who will accept it' are almost entirely limited to Western, secular societies; that describes the USA.

We don't assign 'blame' to those societies without the capacity for self-reflection and guilt...if we did, we'd be wasting our breath. No one talks about 'slavery and racism' in Africa, nor do we speak of the 'intolerance' of the Islamic world, the murderous internecine violence of Afghanistan, nor the 'mistreatment of the poor by the wealthy' in Mexico, nor do we expect the Turks to feel 'shame' over their near-annhilation of the Armenians. Those societies don't have the capacity for guilt; ours does.

Whether the Northern US today is more racist than the Southern US, is debatable....and since only a small portion of the world's population is seen as being capable of 'racism' in the first place, I don't see it as a meaningful question, anyway. It's like asking "where are Mexicans treated worse today?....California?...Arizona?...Ohio?......or Mexico?" Silly question, because we aren't allowed to make valid comparisons. Today, our society is incapable of seeing the difference between the actions of Adolf Hitler in Nazi Germany, and Sherriff Joe Arpaio in Arizona ('they BOTH oppress people') That being the case, we're probably not too well qualified to judge the varying degrees of racism out there.

At least, that's my opinion.

Last edited by macmeal; 08-05-2010 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 03:10 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
Racism exist in the whole country. No lines drawn! Your neighbor the one that makes Tea, might be spitting in your cup.

Just recently AZ wanted to racial profile only Spanish people. That's out West!!!
And there are some tensions between blacks and Latinos in Southern California. And Los Angeles survived 4 deadly riots.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:55 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Like other posters, the only difference I've noticed is that, generally speaking, Southerners are more open about their racist attitudes and Northerners would pretty much never admit in a million years that they're racist.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:36 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Like other posters, the only difference I've noticed is that, generally speaking, Southerners are more open about their racist attitudes and Northerners would pretty much never admit in a million years that they're racist.
Trust me, not everybody in New York is a big liberal like the stereotype. Certain people on Long Island can be very direct about it ... to anyone, including harassing the hated races/ethnicities to their faces.

I have southern family and they act like they are "too classy" to be racist. They also have sneaky ways of being "saccharine sweet" and dissing people. They don't like to be seen as openly hostile. (For example, watch out if a southern lady says, "Well, bless your heart ..." because a veiled insult is usually coming.)

As a kid I used to mock my cousins by sending them tapes/telling them about Howard Stern's occasional crazy racial diatribes with southerners like Daniel Carver (not sure on last name??), a Georgia Klan guy who used to broadcast announcements starting with, "Wake up white people!" and getting nuttier from there.

Of course my cousins still like to mock me back like when one who lives in Houston couldn't wait to call me up "in horror" to tell me how she got a new "tacky" coworker from Long Island and he was dissatisfied that the middle class neighborhoods were mixed races and ethnicities and was asking people in the office where could he afford to live that was "mostly all white with maybe a few asians ..."

Old 08-06-2010, 11:52 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Whether Southerners or Northerners are more racist or not, is a pretty much moot point....they're ALL Americans.
for that matter, they're all humans. they all eat food and breathe air. they all exist within our solar system.

but within this group called "Americans", there are differences in culture, race, geography, and even history.

from my perspective, it is hard to generalize, who is more or less racist. i actually think the number of people who are "racist" is far smaller than people claim, while the number of people who are bigoted is very high. If white Joe Sixpack doesn't want to live in the black neighborhood, is it because of their race, or is it because of their culture? How do you seperate the two?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:58 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
For all the complex legal arguments over today’s blockbuster Voting Rights Act case, the core issue is a pretty simple one: How long does the South have to pay for the sins of its shameful past?

The landmark 1965 legislation passed Congress during one of the darkest chapters in our nation's history.

Are Southerners More Racist than Northerners? - Legalities
I would recommend the Chicago author read the comments at her own editorial.

One of which is, "[In Virginia, the] good-ol' boys riding around in their pickup trucks with confederate flags in the back that live in the woods, are getting over-run by educated blacks, asians and hispanics driving BMW's and Lexuses that live in middle and upper-class neighborhoods. I for one am all too happy to see the changes. That old racist mentality is tired and stupid."

Old 08-06-2010, 11:58 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
for that matter, they're all humans. they all eat food and breathe air. they all exist within our solar system.

but within this group called "Americans", there are differences in culture, race, geography, and even history.

I've only been to Yankeeland once, so I can't comment about
'up' there. I can say, as a child of the 50s', many things have
changed a great deal down here.

There will always be racism, as long as different races exist.
It is human nature. That's why we need laws keeping all of
us 'equal'.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:00 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I've only been to Yankeeland once, so I can't comment about
'up' there. I can say, as a child of the 50s', many things have
changed a great deal.

There will always be racism, as long as different races exist.
It is human nature. That's why we need laws keeping all of
us 'equal'.

equal in the eyes of the law?
or equal opportunity?

you can't choose both.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
unfortunately it does not matter whether they are or not. the accusation is forever and the lust for revenge bottomless.
there is only 1 racism on trial in american---- wasp
only 1/2 of this problem belongs to AA, the other 1/2 belongs to the wasps that have made white guilt our biggest national manufactered product for sale. we manufacter so much of it we export it to haiti.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:08 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
unfortunately it does not matter whether they are or not. the accusation is forever and the lust for revenge bottomless.
there is only 1 racism on trial in american---- wasp
only 1/2 of this problem belongs to AA, the other 1/2 belongs to the wasps that have made white guilt our biggest national manufactered product for sale. we manufacter so much of it we export it to haiti.
You're right.

Maybe that's why my southern relatives are like they are. We're descended from some of the original WASPs to come to this country (early 1600s) and have fought in every war America has participated in, including the Revolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies