Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 08:29 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurusx5 View Post
You have a difficult time also, as the above poster does, in appropriately identifying who constitues what group. Again, the european Cubans are not Hispanic. To group them as such would mean that they're no different than dominicans, brazilians and mexicans.
No difficulty on my part. In the North American context, all Cubans, European or other, are Hispanic. Yes, the same as Dominicans and Mexicans, European or not. No different. Why would they be any different? Brazilians, depending on your perspective, are another subject altogether. Or not.

Quote:
As to the dominicans, most identify themselves as anything but black. Yet, they reject the notion that they're semi-derivative of white. They define themselves as a group unto themselves, neither black nor white. But, this definition os wrong since they are a black group.
Believe it or not, I agree with you.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
1. White Cubans ARE NOT hispanic. Again, you're going by american conventions which are falty, you should be going by european standards.
We're not in Europe. We're in America. Cuba is not in Europe. It's in the Caribbean. Why would we go by European standards?

Quote:
2. There are relatively few Hispanics who dislike Blacks. Dominicans tend to dislike blacks, but they reject white culture at the same time, which doesn't make sense. Puertoricans love blacks since they identiy with them and are black-blooded as well. Brazilians like Blacks, except for the european ones.
Did you research this?

Quote:
3. White Cubans tend not to like Blacks, not because of political ties to Batista, but, because they're white europeans.
White Cubans are of European descent. They are not Europeans. Batista was of African and Chinese descent, btw.

Quote:
All in all, you lack some understanding in what contitutes being Hispanic as opposed to who is considered white. Again, you follow non-sensical American values which do not adequetly classify groups.
Classifications in general are nonsensical, be they European or American. We happen to be in America, though.

Hispanic pertains to Spain. Whites are Caucasian Europeans. In America, Hispanics or Latinos are white or mestizo or mulatto or indigenous or black or any other group that has flourished in Latin America. What ambiguity exists in terms of who or what is white? I don't see any. Some whites are Hispanic or Latino, some aren't. Some Hispanics/Latinos are white, most aren't. This goes for Cuba or any other Spanish-speaking country in Latin America.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
The Cubans I know don't like Blacks at all, whether bad or good. They are racists. As to your "black and brown" statement, I don't understand this concept. I never heard about it before.
Damn. Now I know why I'm plagued with self-hatred. I'm Afro-Cuban, therefore I hate myself.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:00 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,456 times
This is why the term "Hispanic" needs to be done away with altogether. It is a stupid term that flies over people's heads and most Americans wont care to understand it anyways. Even many Latinos (I'll use that term since it just refers to a geographical area) are too ignorant to understand what it means. All "Hispanic" is supposed to mean is that you come from a Spanish speaking country. That is it. The problem is that somewhere along the way the term "Hispanic" became racialized. It is now used as a descriptor to mean someone who is mixed race (most likely mestizo). Now we treat spanish speaking ability like a genetic trait. There is no Hispanic race any more than the fact that everyone on this board speaks English makes us all the same "English" race. Just be done with the term and stop using it.

I always point to this page: The Hispanic Myth Home Page

I will add that these little culture categories like "Hispanic" and "Latino" are lame attempts to delay the inevitable. That eventually all of those black Dominicans will just become another subset of black people and those white Cubans will just become a subset of white people. This is a country where people split up by consanguinity and by extension, skin tone. There will come a day when the offspring of both these groups will feel like impostors checking off the term and will no longer do it. "Latino" is a category basically for the sole use of political opportunists. They forget that culture is not genetic. All culture is a propaganda and the longer they get "Latinos" to continue to keep checking off the term the longer those political opportunists will capitalize on it and make us seem like a bigger group than we really are. They use the term "Latino/Hispanic" to bully white and black Americans who are neither none the wiser.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:03 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Damn. Now I know why I'm plagued with self-hatred. I'm Afro-Cuban, therefore I hate myself.
I feel you, Lucario. Being Rican means I have black blood as well as spanish blood. Being Mexican means I have Indian & Spanish blood. Being anglo means I am a total mix. That's the way I like it because I don't fit into any easy category.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I feel you, Lucario. Being Rican means I have black blood as well as spanish blood. Being Mexican means I have Indian & Spanish blood. Being anglo means I am a total mix. That's the way I like it because I don't fit into any easy category.
I think you're figuring it out, and you've got it figured out, hermanito.

I figured my thing out long ago, but it was funny growing up considering myself totally black and totally Latin. African Americans freaked out when they heard me speaking Spanish, PRs and Cubans were surprised that I knew the language because of my gringo name, and Mexicans found themselves quite embarrassed when they would throw all that mayate stuff at me to each other and I would let them go on for minutes and hours before I let on that I understood. That was always funny.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:33 AM

1 posts, read 6,639 times
Every country or island has a pecking order. That pecking order usually consists of lighter being better. The sad part is that a lot of latinos have indian and black blood. They prefer to acknowledge the indian blood and caucasian blood. They tend to marry white americans to remove any traces of indian or black. Cubans will always say that they were not given preferential treatment that they just worked really hard. I guess no one else does. (sarcastic) The reality of the situation is that if Black Americans had not had the Civil Rights Movement most other minorities and immigrants would not be achieving the "American Dream" Whats funny is that a true racist American hates them just as much as they hate blacks asians indians etc. The goal is to be better than a particular group especially blacks. Some of it is survival and some of it is racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Stress View Post
Here's the Real truth: Latin America as whole is Anti Black, and they bring their much of their racism with them from their said countries.

1) Latin America never had a "One Drop Rule" where "one drop" of African Blood makes you a "Black" person socially. Thus Mulattoes don't have to acknowledge there African blood IF they are light enough. So the idea is to graduate to Whiteness by "Whitening" your Bloodline (You figure it out what that means).

2) Also, the social concept of Blackness doesn't really exist. That's why many mixed race latinos are so racist. Being Black by most latinos, even those of African or partial African descent is seen in one way, BAD.

3) Unlike the United States where people of African descent have attempted to rally round Black of being for the purpose of achvieving equal rights, Blacks in Latin American haven't got that far yet. The conditions that many of them live under are like pre civil rights America. So most White/Mestizo/Light Mulattoes feel secure in there racist ways. Also nationality is used over race many times. So issues of racial often get written off push into ambiguity.

4) Combine this with good ol' fashion American prejudice toward all things Black.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:58 AM

1 posts, read 6,379 times
I am Black. . . and I would like to invite all of those that hate me to KISS MY BLACK ASS! Have a nice day.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:23 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blax View Post
I am Black. . . and I would like to invite all of those that hate me to KISS MY BLACK ASS! Have a nice day.
good first post

Just to be clear, are you talking about hate because you're black or hate because of your actions?

Old 03-26-2010, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,375 times
dang i'm mexican and african!!!!!![/color]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies