Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 12:31 PM

40 posts, read 42,476 times

Advertisements

I wouldnt say hispanics in general dislike people. The ones Ive met up north are more friendly probably because theyve been there for many generations and assimilated. The ones here in south florida just recently got off the boat and still hold their racial prejudices from their home countries.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:20 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Stress View Post
I must ask, in the case of the poorer Caribbean "Hispanics" how do people who are mostly mulatto and or tri-racial negotiate and navigate this anti Black bigotry? Especially so many have a Black or mixed phenotype themselves?
Ignorance and self hate...plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Its not that Cubans dislike blacks. They just dont feel that they are special or should get some special treatment.

Quote:
Special Treatment?!?! Do you mean like what the Cubans have been recieving in South Florida for a very long time?
..Thanks for clarifying, and answering the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer24 View Post
I wouldnt say hispanics in general dislike people. The ones Ive met up north are more friendly probably because theyve been there for many generations and assimilated. The ones here in south florida just recently got off the boat and still hold their racial prejudices from their home countries.
True, to the extent of exposure. I didn't see as much nonsense with the young and old latinos and blacks in NYC. The fact that many live in the same areas, go to school together in the city clearly exposes both sides to cultures. There are exceptions. It's not all Kumbaya land, but the ignorance level is not as bad as it is down here.

It's a whole different ballgame up there in many ways. I don't think I agree with the ones who recently got off the boat (solely being the ignorant ones).
The ignorance manifests itself more with those who have been here for much longer. It's a matter of ignorance and arrogance with the ones down here. (Hence the question...why the disdain for blacks?).
I'll say it goes farther than just blacks (as in just African Americans). There are countless issues I notice between Cuban vs Puerto Ricans, Puerto Rican vs Dominican, Columbian vs Venezuelans....etc..It never ends.

Ignorance + Arrogance= Volatile mix.....

Old 09-04-2009, 07:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
You also have to remember that South Florida has a lot of Haitians.
Haiti must be the poorest nation in the world or close to it.

When I lived in S. Florida (years and years ago) both the Cubans and the Haitians were landing and/or washing up on the beaches daily and in great numbers. Both were treated differently by INS and the Haitians had a negative stereotype.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:43 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post

If your around blacks all day, I don't care what color you are, after a while you're not gonna think to fond of them.
So if you can't stand each other, why is it such a crime when other groups want to take "flight"?

Old 09-05-2009, 05:13 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You also have to remember that South Florida has a lot of Haitians.
Haiti must be the poorest nation in the world or close to it.

When I lived in S. Florida (years and years ago) both the Cubans and the Haitians were landing and/or washing up on the beaches daily and in great numbers. Both were treated differently by INS and the Haitians had a negative stereotype.
Just curious, what does that have to do with anything? Again, just asking...

Old 09-05-2009, 05:24 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Special Treatment?!?! Do you mean like what the Cubans have been recieving in South Florida for a very long time?
And what special treatment would that be? My husband is from a cuban family. 1st one born in America from both sides of his family. All of his family came here legally on visas thru Spain. Not one of them came on a raft. They worked their tails off. Never asked for anything but a chance. Worked, retired from their employeer and now own their home.

My husband bust his tail also never asked for anyone to give him something. He never got anything that he didnt earn. So I dont know what special treatment you think hes gotten

Old 09-05-2009, 06:58 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Many (not all but a lot) Hispanics still have a plantation mentality.

The lighter the skin, the more European, thus closer to the master (or basically being at the top of the food chain)

I have Latina friends who will not even date other Latinos. They date White men only because there is a (faulty) belief that it guarantees a better life for themselves(White men=more faithful?!) and their children (lighter complexion)

Old 09-05-2009, 07:10 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Many (not all but a lot) Hispanics still have a plantation mentality.

The lighter the skin, the more European, thus closer to the master (or basically being at the top of the food chain)

I have Latina friends who will not even date other Latinos. They date White men only because there is a (faulty) belief that it guarantees a better life for themselves(White men=more faithful?!) and their children (lighter complexion)
Sad. Seems that no minority is exempt from this mentality.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:39 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
And what special treatment would that be? My husband is from a cuban family. 1st one born in America from both sides of his family. All of his family came here legally on visas thru Spain. Not one of them came on a raft. They worked their tails off. Never asked for anything but a chance. Worked, retired from their employeer and now own their home.

My husband bust his tail also never asked for anyone to give him something. He never got anything that he didnt earn. So I dont know what special treatment you think hes gotten

As someone who is both Cuban and Haitian..........the disparities between the way Cubans are treated when they come to Florida as balseros and Haitians when they come the same way are beyond glaring. You say Cubans never ask for anything but a chance. Most Haitians don't even get that.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:28 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
I never experienced racism from a hispanic until i came to south florida....i just find it odd. Can someone explain it me or break it down to me like a 3 year old....
In Spanish speaking country there's a different type of racism than in the US.
Everybody is mixed and everybody have a black relative.

In most countries, it's very acceptable to make very racist jokes against black people and then everybody laughs about it.
That's not really racism, because they can be seen as "friendly jokes"

The real racism is the fact that it is acceptable to discriminate based on appearance (blonde-blue eyes gets the job, black person doesn't)
It's so bad that sometimes they write on job postings "Good appearance is required" usually that means that the white person will get the job.

Want to see proof of that?
Just watch Spanish TV and count how many black people (not janitors or beggers) they show in 1 day.
I bet you can count them with 1 hand.

Something interesting...
For some reason, politicians that are proud of their black/indian heritage are always called dictators (Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez, Evo Morales, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies