Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you fly the flag
Yes, heritage not hate! 65 19.35%
No, I think its a symbol of hate 152 45.24%
No, but I would if I lived elsewhere 12 3.57%
No, I don't fly flags, but I have no problem with it 61 18.15%
Don't care either way 46 13.69%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:54 PM

73,062 posts, read 62,680,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Best reason to fly it - to display our distaste and protest this immoral and oppressive government.
So you would pick a symbol of a territory that rebelled because they wanted to keep slavery.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Yes, we get it. Even those of us in the NORTH who are from states that have ZERO lineage to any slavery or racial oppression whatsoever.

My state Minnesota has no racial past other than displacing Natives, and the descendants of those tribes today get monthly payments.

So this disingenuous propaganda about us owing blacks is pure garbage. As long as it drags on, and I think it will forever, until these groups are entirely separate, which will never happen unless the system of government we live under collapses, will continue to perpetuate racial tension in this country.
No one was talking about Minnesota on this thread. Why do you feel the need to bring that up?

Old 08-26-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I wouldn't say it offends me, it's just low class, redneck-y.
The area where I went to high school, that is often who I see flying that flag. It is those who ascribe to the redneck culture. Occasionally, I've seen middle class people wear the Dixie Outfitter t-shirts. However, much of the people I've seen proudly represent the Confederate flag were often those who had a very "redneck" outlook on life or were part of that culture.

When I went to college, I could count on one hand the number of people who had any kind of connection to the Confederate flag, and I'm not talking about transplants. I'm talking about people who were born and raised in Georgia. Only saw the Confederate flag once or twice when I went to college, but I saw it every single day in high school.

This is what I noticed. The more educated a person was, the less likelihood of seeing that person associated with the Confederate flag.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:45 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,483,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Most Blacks were the enslaved. I am descended from the enslaved. Answer this for me. How many Black people stood up and openly admitted that they were prepared to secede as a means to keep slavery? And how many Black slave owners were there compared to the Black slaves? Creoles were only called Black under the one drop rule. Anywhere else in the Western Hemisphere, they wouldn't be called Black.

I have as much right to hate that flag as other people do to fly that flag. I do have a problem with those who fly it. I have to question their character given the history of why the South wanted to secede.
I believe if you read the very post you quote here you would have read that I don't have an issue with it myself. I have repeatedly stated that I don't fly it nor have I seen it flown anywhere here in Pensacola. In fact, were you to read the posts of others, you would find that most folks who claim they have seen it flown were in New York and in Michigan - not in Florida, If you hate it, that's fine with me. I don't know anything about the Creoles you keep harping about and don't care about them. The links I posted plainly said "Black slave owners". Take the authors of those links and articles on, I didn't verify their validity nor did I write them.

From what you and a whole lot of others on here claim, you all own businesses or have college educations and fantastic jobs. That doesn't sound to me like you are doing so bad or else many of you are simply lying or you are hell-bent on continuing to play your race card which I offer as your real purpose.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
The area where I went to high school, that is often who I see flying that flag. It is those who ascribe to the redneck culture. Occasionally, I've seen middle class people wear the Dixie Outfitter t-shirts. However, much of the people I've seen proudly represent the Confederate flag were often those who had a very "redneck" outlook on life or were part of that culture.

When I went to college, I could count on one hand the number of people who had any kind of connection to the Confederate flag, and I'm not talking about transplants. I'm talking about people who were born and raised in Georgia. Only saw the Confederate flag once or twice when I went to college, but I saw it every single day in high school.

This is what I noticed. The more educated a person was, the less likelihood of seeing that person associated with the Confederate flag.
Then I must assume you are not one of the "more educated" for it is an obsession with you.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
No one was talking about Minnesota on this thread. Why do you feel the need to bring that up?

Why not? New York and Michigan have been brought up. All's fair isn't it? He talked about transplanting Native Americans but I'm not taking his state to task for it. I repeat my previous charge against you: You are a full-time card-carrying racist of the first degree.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
How about a white flag? That's some Confederate history for you right there.
No, I really liked the Jolly Roger. I was into pirate movies as a kid.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:53 PM

25,850 posts, read 16,549,505 times
There was no option for me. I wouldn't fly it because I'm from a Union State and why fly the flag of a vanquished foe? I don't think it represents racism at all, just Southern Heritage more than anything.

But really, they lost the right to fly that flag when they lost the war.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
There was no option for me. I wouldn't fly it because I'm from a Union State and why fly the flag of a vanquished foe? I don't think it represents racism at all, just Southern Heritage more than anything.

But really, they lost the right to fly that flag when they lost the war.
Yes and those that won the war and those that lost the war are all dead and gone a long time ago.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:14 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,358,877 times
As a Southerner, I have flown it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.