Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you fly the flag
Yes, heritage not hate! 65 19.35%
No, I think its a symbol of hate 152 45.24%
No, but I would if I lived elsewhere 12 3.57%
No, I don't fly flags, but I have no problem with it 61 18.15%
Don't care either way 46 13.69%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 02:08 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times

Advertisements

They were traitors in taking up arms against fellow Americans and splitting the country and should not be memorialized.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:29 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Being a dirt poor white tenant farmer starving in some back hollow was better than being a slave. The land owner could take your farm but he could not sell your wife and kids. Not much better but better none the less.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:00 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Being a dirt poor white tenant farmer starving in some back hollow was better than being a slave. The land owner could take your farm but he could not sell your wife and kids. Not much better but better none the less.
And consider this. Being a dirt poor White tenant farmer, you had something: FREEDOM. You could go anywhere you wanted. You were free to do other things for yourself.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:08 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
It a flag of rebels, traitors to the United States.

It's flown by people here in my area of PA but they are nothing more than common racists.
And the American flag is flown by traitors to the British crown.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:14 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I know this is a controversial topic, but I am truly interested.

I live in NY, where I would probably get killed for flying the flag. I honestly think it is a beautiful flag, and I love the history behind it. The symbolism, that an abusive government that punishes certain states can be thrown out, and that states have the right to secede.

So do you fly a Battle Flag, either on your vehicle (could be a bumper sticker), your house (inside or outside).

I am more interested in people who actually fly the flag, why do you do it, and where do you live. I have seen a few in PA, OH, and MANY further South, as well as a few as far west as Arizona. (the only place in the upper South where I don't see them is Northern VA, DC, and Maryland).
I don't fly the Battle Flag unless at at reenactment. I do fly the First National . The 14 star Victoria cross and Bonnie Blue are Battle flags. Since the Klan jacked the 14 star Victoria, flying it sends mixed signals. To many people are ignorant of history, and eager to bash on someone flying a Battle Flag.

However, Bonnie Blue is not familiar to most of these people either. I have a shirt with that flag on it, and outside of my friends, nobody in public has recognized it yet. Most think it is a foreign flag. Same folks would trip out if it was a Blood Banner. Lol.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:30 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
It was the battle flag of Virginia, I could care less.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:34 PM

The Confederacy does not exist anymore. It is now the USA. Flying the flag of a nation that no longer exists does not make sense. It especially is irrational to do so when that non-existent nation rebelled against the nation currently in existence.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
I'm not complaining about my lot in life. I don't really need to read anything about Oklahoma since I've never been there and never intend to go there. As far as Cherokees owning slaves, I could really care less. Since you brought it up though it appears we are adding more and more to the list of slave owners. I wonder if any Chinese owned slaves. We know the whites did, the Cherokees did, and we know some Blacks owned slaves. Must have been quite a market available.

But you go right ahead and dwell on things for which you had no control and could not help nor prevent. I'm 71 years old and am not about to waste what little time I have left worrying about even last week.
I was not complaining about my life either. I was talking specifically about the Confederate flag and why I hate it and will never fly it. It is rooted in history. And if you keep saying "it happened 150 years ago", then I could say the same to southerners who still choose to fly the Confederate flag today "the war happened 150 years ago, the North won, the South lost, it is what it is".

And you brought up Black slave owners first. I believe you did that as a way to derail the conversation.

And let me tell you this. Being poor and free is much better than being poor and enslaved.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:39 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,482,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The Confederacy does not exist anymore. It is now the USA. Flying the flag of a nation that no longer exists does not make sense. It especially is irrational to do so when that non-existent nation rebelled against the nation currently in existence.
Well, did we not rebel against Britain? We were colonists remember?

Old 08-25-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Well, did we not rebel against Britain? We were colonists remember?
One difference. The desire to keep slavery was not the reason for the rebellion. And the USA won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies