Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Stereotypes True More Often Than Not?
Yes! 54 67.50%
No! 26 32.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 02:49 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
no, not all stereotypes are accurate in the interpretation of it's use. i see you glossed over that point.

please explain how asian women are more subservient than middle-eastern women who can't even show thier frigging face? i don't recall a stereotype conjured up by westerners that 'middle-eastern women are subservient'.

see, stereotypes can be skewed by cultural lens in viewing others.
Huh???

"Right and wrong" can also be skewed by one's cultural lens.....and your point is???......

As far as 'which women are more subservient'?....I'm not sure I agree with your interpretation....whoever said 'women covered in burkhas' aren't subservient? I can't imagine that.

I will agree that Westerners have perhaps seen Asian women as more 'agreeable' to marriage to a westerner than Middle Eastern women (?)...but if true at all, this probably has a lot more to do with religion than with 'subservience'.

Other than that, I'm not sure I get your point....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 02:56 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Huh???

"Right and wrong" can also be skewed by one's cultural lens.....and your point is???......

As far as 'which women are more subservient'?....I'm not sure I agree with your interpretation....whoever said 'women covered in burkhas' aren't subservient? I can't imagine that.

I will agree that Westerners have perhaps seen Asian women as more 'agreeable' to marriage to a westerner than Middle Eastern women (?)...but if true at all, this probably has a lot more to do with religion than with 'subservience'.

Other than that, I'm not sure I get your point....
yes, i'm sure you don't.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 579 times
some people say us country kids always are missing teeth, smell like manure (we usually DONT) always say "Y'all" and that we do NOT know what computers iPods cell phones etc. are dress in overalls and plaid and heave hay in our hair when that USUALLY isn't true although im missing a tooth from losing it and SOMETIMES braid my hair with hay when i'm working on my grandparen'ts farm

Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
I would say for the most part there are some truth in them but they also can become outdated. This is especially true of cities/countries as they can change rapidly from decade to decade. Another danger is expanding a stereotype of a segment of a population to cover the entire group i.e. all Christians and/or Republicans want a theocracy based on the law of Moses. That describes a small but vocal segment of the Christian Right but often gets applied to all conservatives.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:02 PM

26 posts, read 23,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
I agree. It's not a simple yes or no answer. In fact, it is almost a case of: "what came first, the chicken or the egg?" Some stereotypes originate from a grain of truth. That is, a grain of truth about an individual (or small group) that is generalized to a much larger group. However, some stereotypes do not originate from any truth about an individual; rather, they are merely socially constructed. For instance, we can believe that an individual (or society can dictate that an individual) will behave a certain way. Thus, when we interact with that individual, we may interact with them in such a way as to elicit a behavioral confirmation. Oftentimes we believe that this behavioral confirmation is a confirmation that the stereotype was accurate. However, this may really just be a confirmation that our own actions can produce stereotypical behavior in others.

Another point deals with our own perceptions. A famous person once said: "if you define a situation as real, then it is real in its consequences." Thus, if we expect a person to act a certain stereotypical way, then we will indeed see that behavior in that person. Clearly, the stereotype is real in our minds (i.e., our perceptions). But, does that really mean the stereotype is accurate, in general?
The Rooster CAME first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies