Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

You're right Duke. That post should have provided the link to back up what they posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 12:01 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
So, when was Obama at this Town Hall in Albuquerque? I did some searches and listen to quite a bit of news today on the AM. Searched the Chicago Tribune and Suntimes which are both Conservative and Democratic Rags and I see and heard nothing? Even went to my ole reliable Huff Post, nada...
It was on May 14th, 2009.

Quote:
Calling it an historic day in Rio Rancho might be an understatement. The national spotlight was on Rio Rancho Thursday morning, as President Barack Obama came to the City of Vision to host a town hall meeting.
News : Thousands welcome President Obama to Rio Rancho - Rio Rancho Observer
Quote:
RIO RANCHO, New Mexico (Reuters) - President Barack Obama said on Thursday the United States could not keep borrowing from China and other countries and said the U.S. budget deficit and debt situation were unsustainable. Obama says U.S. can't keep borrowing from China | Politics | Reuters
Quote:
Reporting from Rio Rancho, N.M. -- President Obama today called on Congress to send him a bill by Memorial Day that would curb what he described as abusive credit card practices in which lenders raise interest rates and slap consumers with high fees. Obama asks Congress for credit card reform bill - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-obama-newmexico15-2009may15,0,4405949.story - broken link)

Old 05-15-2009, 12:25 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
I'm sure their spirits will remain sky high with the closing of two major auto manufacturers.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:31 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
50% confidence isn't very high. In fact even the economist are how saying the recovery in many areas of the economy could take decades.
Agreed, but the trend line is positive.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Agreed, but the trend line is positive.
positive based on what though ? The government telling them that the economy has turned around ?

Old 05-15-2009, 01:59 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I'm sure their spirits will remain sky high with the closing of two major auto manufacturers.
You know, it's sad to see dealerships close, but people knew it was coming. So I don't think auto closings are going to affect national spirit much (except possibly in places like Detroit).

Old 05-15-2009, 02:02 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
You know, it's sad to see dealerships close, but people knew it was coming. So I don't think auto closings are going to affect national spirit much (except possibly in places like Detroit).
Yeah, I guess the dealerships closing here in NC and other states won't affect the soon to be unemployed (with no real notice) spirits.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:04 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
So are we now in the Orwellian world (George Orwell 1984)?

People are thriving more than in over a year.
Congress passed the Stimulus Bill which cost billions - had to do it quick or the US was going to collapse. Hmmm, but so far only 5% of the money has been released.

Both of these can't be true at the same time.
So are people NOT thriving more than a year ago OR was the urgent need for the Stimulus Bill a hoax?

Over 600,000 people have lost jobs in each of the last 3 months.
How many are getting laid off and owners losing their business cuz of Chrysler severing their ties?

Something just doesn't add up.
Have always had faith in Gallup -- but is this simply a propoganda machine to get people buying again?
Times are swell aren't they? If the poll says so, it must be true

Old 05-15-2009, 02:05 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Quote:
Yeah, I guess the dealerships closing here in NC and other states won't affect the soon to be unemployed (with no real notice) spirits.

Well if the past year's car sales are any indication these people will probably make more from unemployment anyways.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:09 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
No real notice? I guess you mean no notice written on a piece of paper. Anyone working for one of those dealerships had to have known for a long time there was a likely chance it would close. People certainly knew if their jobs were at risk last month. Odds are the same people who were in good spirits last month will still be the same way this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies