Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can only Black people be called African Americans?
Yes 82 43.39%
No 97 51.32%
Unsure 7 3.70%
Other 3 1.59%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:52 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,205,756 times

Advertisements

I sense something of a double standard. If an African couple emigrates to Europe and has children, would those children be considered "European"? Many on that continent would find that absurd. Why is it different for the descendents of Europeans who settled in Africa?

Old 03-24-2010, 08:55 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,016,502 times
It all depends on how you look at is...

if you're going to get tehnical about it...then yes

However if you apply it under its intended usage...then no

Keep in mind that African American is NOT a race...but more so a culture. "Blacks" have various cultures all over the world, many who have no genetic or ethnic relation to AAs.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:26 PM

956 posts, read 1,115,089 times
F*** no! Though whites can and have been born in the continent, and though they are more than welcome to call it home, they are not Africans. They are Europeans residents of Africa, and there is nothing more to it. That is like asking if white Australians can be considered Aborigine, or if white Canadians can be considered Native Americans, or if black British folk can be considered European.
If you move a Honda Accord to Ford dealership, can it be considered a Ford Taurus?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:24 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,835,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
'White African-American' Suing N.J. Med School for Discrimination - ABC News

can only black people be called African Americans?

What about the Arabs in the North? The Whites in the South?
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!

arabs are arabs, and everyone in north africa is not an arab some are berbers which are africans too but for the most part they are they're nationality- american same with other ethnic africans too, arabs are not african people.

african american has nothing to do with african immigrants or arabs

Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,212,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
One cannot be African-American without being Black but one could be African-American and not be from Africa. At least according to one definition. African-American has come to mean someone who is Black. Its come to mean a race and not an ethnic group. The theory being that all Blacks came from Africa originally. Of course we all came from Africa originally or so they say.

Blacks came to dislike being called Negroes. I don't know why. So they told us to call them Blacks. I guess Black is still ok but they changed it once again and told us they wanted to be called African-Americans. So we call Black people African-Americans. I don't know how much sense this makes but I say what the heck. Negroes want to be called African-Americans so that's what I'll call them. Mostly I guess I call them Blacks but they're not all Black.

They're not all black and they're not all from African but they are all Negroes.

- Reel
FAIL. I am NOT a Negro.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:11 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,686,882 times
Like a white immigrant from South Africa?

Old 10-07-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Like a white immigrant from South Africa?
Nope, white South Africans are of British, Dutch, or Portuguese descent the majority of the time. They know this themselves and when I lived in South Africa we would celebrate British holidays like Guy Fawkes Day, and we would speak Afrikaans (variation of Dutch). Of course some of their traditions have been altered such as their music which is like African country music lol. Good stuff to listen to when you're drunk. Calling them Africans is bull**** (African diaspora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Old 10-07-2010, 10:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Nope, white South Africans are of British, Dutch, or Portuguese descent the majority of the time. They know this themselves and when I lived in South Africa we would celebrate British holidays like Guy Fawkes Day, and we would speak Afrikaans (variation of Dutch). Of course some of their traditions have been altered such as their music which is like African country music lol. Good stuff to listen to when you're drunk. Calling them Africans is bull**** (African diaspora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
White South Africans are South Africans the same way that white and black Americans are Americans. They were born there. Here in the US we have borrowed most of our holiday traditions from Europe, e.g. Halloween (Ireland), Christmas trees (Germany) and so forth.

I have a friend from S. Africa who is now a US citizen. She likes to call herself an African-American.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
White South Africans are South Africans the same way that white and black Americans are Americans. They were born there. Here in the US we have borrowed most of our holiday traditions from Europe, e.g. Halloween (Ireland), Christmas trees (Germany) and so forth.

I have a friend from S. Africa who is now a US citizen. She likes to call herself an African-American.
From a nationality standpoint, yes they are South Africans. But from an ethnic standpoint, they have nothing in common with their black neighbors. I have black relatives in the UK who have emigrated to the US. Are they European-American to you?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:16 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,686,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
I know about the Boers. But technically, they are from Africa. That's why I never use the term "African-American". I say black if I mean black and white if I mean white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies