Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:47 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,579,803 times

Advertisements

Where are the Republicans crying "WAHHH the government wants to tell me what to do?"

I support banning texting while driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 04:05 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,681,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
so what do you think?? in my opinion it should be illegal!! it takes to much concentration to text while driving and takes your focus off of driving your vehicle. i guess the big question is do you want to die from someone who is just chatting???
While anything that takes your concentration away from the task at hand should be penalized, enforcement would be pretty difficult. No talking to any passengers, no fiddling with the radio, no eating, etc.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:38 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,469,790 times
No I don't think we should have a law against texting while driving.

It's stupid to have a law for every possible distraction that can be encountered while driving. I believe we already have laws regarding driving while distracted, that is enough.

If we insist on making a new law for everything that could distract you we will soon need a building just to house the volumes that will be created. If you are too stupid to know what is a distraction, you are too stupid to drive.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:54 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,739,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
No I don't think we should have a law against texting while driving.

It's stupid to have a law for every possible distraction that can be encountered while driving. I believe we already have laws regarding driving while distracted, that is enough.

If we insist on making a new law for everything that could distract you we will soon need a building just to house the volumes that will be created. If you are too stupid to know what is a distraction, you are too stupid to drive.
i agree with you in some sence of the matter... but some things are way more distracting that others.. it's like everything when enough people die from texting while driveng they will implement laws that make it illegal!!!! would you text if it was a 500 dollar fine..like i said in previous post it's a hundread bucks if you get caught not wearing your seat belt here on st croix... beleave me i wear my seat belt not becase it saves my life i wear it because i dont want to pay a hundred bucks for not wearing it..the way i look at it if it's 100 bucks for not wearing a seat belt it should be 500 for texting while driving..

Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,934,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Where are the Republicans crying "WAHHH the government wants to tell me what to do?"

I support banning texting while driving.
I don't have a cell phone, don't know how to text, and I'm not a republican.

But the government shouldn't be telling me what I am or am not capable of in my own car. I will take responsibility for my actions, which means gauging my abilities against the risks and circumstances. I don't need some stinking politician to do my thinking for me.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:45 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,227,447 times
Default Okay with me

Usually I oppose nanny laws,but this one I agree with,because texting most surely can kill or maim others.A couple of months ago was driving a 4 lane freeway,moderate traffic,moving well at 65-70 mph.All of a sudden traffic slows and becomes erratic,with vehicles making sudden lane changes and/or slowing up ahead.A car in #2 lane doing only 50,drifting from side to side,sometimes into adjacent lanes.As I changed lanes to pass him,glanced over at him into his cabin.Guess what he was doing.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:08 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,469,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i agree with you in some sence of the matter... but some things are way more distracting that others.. it's like everything when enough people die from texting while driveng they will implement laws that make it illegal!!!! would you text if it was a 500 dollar fine..like i said in previous post it's a hundread bucks if you get caught not wearing your seat belt here on st croix... beleave me i wear my seat belt not becase it saves my life i wear it because i dont want to pay a hundred bucks for not wearing it..the way i look at it if it's 100 bucks for not wearing a seat belt it should be 500 for texting while driving..
Personally, I wouldn't text anyway but the people who do, do it even though they stand a higher risk of wrecking than getting a ticket so if getting killed doesn't deter them I don't know if $500 fine would. But, if that does then maybe there is a good reason for a separate law

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
I don't have a cell phone, don't know how to text, and I'm not a republican.

But the government shouldn't be telling me what I am or am not capable of in my own car. I will take responsibility for my actions, which means gauging my abilities against the risks and circumstances. I don't need some stinking politician to do my thinking for me.
You are right, the gubmint shouldn't have to but it seems obvious to me that some are too stupid and need to be told. I'm all for personal rights, that's why I don't much like it when some people think their right to act reckless and negligent out weighs my right to safe travel. I don't have a problem with you taking responsibility for your actions, I just would rather you not think it's OK that taking responsibility for killing me while you do is good enough.

Do you also think you have the right to drive while impaired by drugs or alcohol? What's the difference?

Old 05-21-2009, 01:17 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,934,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
You are right, the gubmint shouldn't have to but it seems obvious to me that some are too stupid and need to be told. I'm all for personal rights, that's why I don't much like it when some people think their right to act reckless and negligent out weighs my right to safe travel. I don't have a problem with you taking responsibility for your actions, I just would rather you not think it's OK that taking responsibility for killing me while you do is good enough.

Do you also think you have the right to drive while impaired by drugs or alcohol? What's the difference?
You don't have a right to safe travel. You have a right to travel, which includes evaluating and accepting the risks that travel carries with it. Rights are essentially personal decisions, not "freedom froms".

Other people do not have the right to attack or damage you and your property and if they do, then you can seek compensation or even some form of retaliation. They have a responsibility to not damage other people or their property. That may or may not include driving under some kind of impairment. I would certainly hope they would not. But even though there is a law, people still do it, so you still must be prepared to deal with it. Your right is decide what measures you will take when traveling to protect yourself.

Note: The way I talk about rights is in the inalienable sense, not in the "granted by law, government, or hoodoo monster" sense.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:19 PM

37,149 posts, read 42,245,999 times
Yes. But there doesn't need to be infinite laws about what you CAN'T do while driving (phone, text, makeup, reading, etc), there need to be just one good law stating that driving requires 100% of your attention.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:24 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,004,791 times
How do you prove that someone is texting? My phone doesnt have an outbox. Once I send a message, there is no record of it. I know I dont trust cops to make that determination. It is just giving cops another excuse to pull people over.

I'm not saying that I think people should be texting while driving but you cant make everything illegal. Some things are just common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies