Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:12 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,650,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
I see a butterfly.

LOL...I see a squashed crab!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 01:32 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,553,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
It seems to me the political divide between so-called red/blue states is widening...will we ever stop the bickering and put our country "on the same page"? The fundamental difference that I see is that part of the country wants the constitution to be the law of the land, like our forefathers intended. Another swath of the country wants religion to be the law of the land, like in Iran. Maybe we should seriously think of splitting the country into either 2 seperate countries...or 2 seperate autonomous regions that are still in one "commonwealth". What are your views; it seems we are getting nowhere fast on our present path of political discourse.
I have been wondering about this myself.

I have come to believe the differences are not nearly so great as the media would have us think.

For example, I am registered as a Republican. And I live in the South. Demographers seem to assume this means I am a rightwing Conservative. Well, I am not. I am a Jeffersonian, want to see the rule of law interpreted in keeping with our Constitution. I am a fiscal conservative but a centrist on social issues.

I respect everyone's religion and have my own religious beliefs, but I do not think they should affect the laws in this country. Our Constitution and Bill of Rights clearly communicates our rights - including the separation of church and state.

I find it interesting that my friends and family believe these things, too, whether they are registered as DEMS or GOP.

What I have found is that many people (usually younger than I) automatically assume that anyone who is registered as a Republican is anti-abortion, anti-gays, pro War and self-righteous about those beliefs.

This has occurred b/c all the print and air time seems to have gone to the most conservative amongst us. The only national Republicans I can find myself even partially aligned with at this moment in time are Colin Powell and Mike Huckabee. They both are good men and I don't see eye to eye with them on everything, but at least they are not out there insisting that you are a BAD PERSON if you are not marching in front of an abortion clinic or carrying an anti-Gay placard at a rally.

My point is . . . I think most Americans are like me . . . they may not agree with everything their party stands for, but they are turned off by the shrill voices on the far right AND the far left.

I don't think even DEMs - the majority of DEMs - believe that our huge national debt is acceptable, nor do they want their taxes raised. And we all want job outsourcing stopped (at least - the majority of jobs to stay here so we can all go to work and support our families).

But the media only gives air time to the shrill voices (on both sides). That is why we perceive we are so divided. Then the name-calling starts (just like we see on this forum daily). The finger pointing . . . and more division occurs.

I think we need to stop giving any air time to the fringers on BOTH sides, and start a discussion about the things we ALL AGREE ON. Yes, there may be disagreement as to how those issues are best addressed and in some cases, solved. But no one gets to how we are gonna solve issues - cause the discussion always falls apart and gets lost once the finger pointing, blame shifting and name calling gets started.

This "red/blue" state stuff has just further alienated us all and increased the perception that we are so divided. I just don't believe it!!! Show me an American out there who

* isn't concerned about the national debt
* doesn't want a good education for his/her kids
* isn't worried about the unemployment
* thinks healthcare costs are reasonable
* hopes we stay in Iraq forever

SHow me that person - cause I don't think he/she exists. I think we all want the same things - we just have different ideas how to reach those goals of solving the problems our country is facing.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:47 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,477,394 times
Quote:
It seems to me the political divide between so-called red/blue states is widening...will we ever stop the bickering and put our country "on the same page"? The fundamental difference that I see is that part of the country wants the constitution to be the law of the land, like our forefathers intended. Another swath of the country wants religion to be the law of the land, like in Iran. Maybe we should seriously think of splitting the country into either 2 seperate countries...or 2 seperate autonomous regions that are still in one "commonwealth". What are your views; it seems we are getting nowhere fast on our present path of political discourse.
The nation is indeed becoming more divided than ever before. While we often have the same concerns, the approach we take to elevate those concerns could not be more diametrically opposed. One group of people looks upon government as their savior, while the other group of people looks upon government as their enemy. There is no reconciliation between these two opposing viewpoints.

Neither political party has been a very good steward of our constitutionally protected rights. While the right frequently abuses the 1st and 4th Amendments, the left just as frequently abuses the 2nd and 10th Amendments. So there is certainly no moral high-ground that can be claimed by either political party with regard to the US Constitution.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,553,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The nation is indeed becoming more divided than ever before. While we often have the same concerns, the approach we take to elevate those concerns could not be more diametrically opposed. One group of people looks upon government as their savior, while the other group of people looks upon government as their enemy. There is no reconciliation between these two opposing viewpoints.

Neither political party has been a very good steward of our constitutionally protected rights. While the right frequently abuses the 1st and 4th Amendments, the left just as frequently abuses the 2nd and 10th Amendments. So there is certainly no moral high-ground that can be claimed by either political party with regard to the US Constitution.
So then isn't the imperative on us - We the People - to figure out how to get past all the political rhetoric and spin and parsing . . . and demand our leaders have some meaningful dialogue w/ us? I am sick of Paternalistic Politics!!

Isn't every society on the face of this planet divided into the same two camps - those who want something for nothing and those who work to provide the goods? And are there really that many people in this country who truly believe they are owed all sorts of services even tho they are not paying the taxes to cover the costs for what they need/want?

I think there may be a group of "gimmes" out there, but I don't think they amount to half this country!

Am I living in la la land?

Old 07-06-2009, 02:17 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,547,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I think your answer is in the responses thus far.

"A house divided..."
How true...the audacity of so many posters to "read " their own agenda into the thread...I opened the post with Hypothetical...to open a dialogue...but the entrenchment and blame game gets really old really fast! The thread was PURPOSELY based on stereotypes and diametrically oppossing opinions...that is why..."hypothetical scenario".So noone got "mad" or nit picky...another problem that keeps the dialogue closed.

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 07-06-2009 at 02:28 PM..

Old 07-06-2009, 02:19 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,477,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So then isn't the imperative on us - We the People - to figure out how to get past all the political rhetoric and spin and parsing . . . and demand our leaders have some meaningful dialogue w/ us? I am sick of Paternalistic Politics!!

Isn't every society on the face of this planet divided into the same two camps - those who want something for nothing and those who work to provide the goods? And are there really that many people in this country who truly believe they are owed all sorts of services even tho they are not paying the taxes to cover the costs for what they need/want?

I think there may be a group of "gimmes" out there, but I don't think they amount to half this country!

Am I living in la la land?
You apparently missed the part of my post where I said the two opposing viewpoints are not reconciliable, and it has nothing to do with political parties. If one group of people believes government is the solution to all their problems, and another group of people believes government is the cause of all their problems, how do you find a compromising position? There has always been, and will always be, a sharp divide between those who live in cities and expect government to provide solutions for every problem, and those who live in the country and find their own solutions to problems, without government involvement.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
If you see the democrats as "preserving" the constitution of the United States and the republicans as desiring to govern the land with religion, your perception is severely skewed on both accounts.
That was YOUR perception and AGENDA.....I said nor implied anything of the sort...we all know both "blue" and "red" states is just a political icon...allstates are a MIXTURE!!!

Old 07-06-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
divorce? Who is it that benefits most from this alienation? Our wonderful politicians. They will never want to give up the assured power that they hold. If more people would just stop giving blanket approval to some pos because he/she is 'one of theirs' we as a country just might stand a chance.
hypothetical>>>scenario!

Old 07-06-2009, 02:22 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,151,932 times
Quote:
I disagree wholeheartedly that a "swath of the country want religion to be the law of the land, like in Iran." You've taken a disguised cheap shot at conservatives with your Constitution vs Religion argument. In order for your argument to hold any water, you'd have to presume that all liberals have no interest in religion and, conversely, that all conservatives are bible-thumpers - neither of which is true. Because of this, using red states vs. blue states as a barometer of divisiveness is a fallible argument.

Also, to divide the nation into "2 seperate autonomous" regions based on red vs. blue would require every conservative in a blue state and every liberal in a red state to pack up and move to their respective new "region." Silly and unrealistic is the only description I can come up with.

Furthermore, since when do we need to "be on the same page?" Dissent is healthy. Jim Jones' followers were on the "same page." I have no desire to even be in the same book.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:25 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,597,500 times
Reasonable people can compromise..which I think makes up the majority of people in this country. It's just that the fringes always seem to scream the loudest, get the most attention in the press, do the most outrageous, etc. I am still hoping that the majority of Americans are not represented by the "loons". But then again, I never thought that someone with absolutely no credentials and a suspect group of associations, with radical views could ever get elected. Shows how much I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies