Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:36 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,595,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Oh really? Here's one for ya: Why do many liberals continually vote to increase taxes to fund the overbloated and inefficiently-ran public school districts without questioning how the districts are currently mismanaging the existing funds? The answer: Because they are doing it "FOR THE CHILDREN"
Whoa whoa Connie. I do not know Ms. Connie to get like this. :-P

But seriously, all things considering, can we both agree that BOTH sides are guilty of doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:38 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,801,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I understand this. This is what I think of: those men/women being led to the room, being strapped to that table & then being injected & then their body absorbing the poison as they lay there thinking "What just god would do this to me?" In actuality, I don't believe in god but for those conservatives on here who DO believe in god & also believe in the death penalty, that's why I said it. I also imagine their bodies burning & convulsing w/pain. Now, I'm sure they don't convulse, but that's what I imagine. I also think of: what in the heck are these people thinking of as that poison courses thru their body? Are they thinking of the good times in their life? Are they thinking "goddamit, goddamit to hell that I associated w/that person who put me in this position'? Are they crying? How much pain are they feeling? What are their family members thinking at the moment that is happening? These are the things I think of. Of course, I don't think of this as much as a person who is actually found guilty, but believe it or not, even for those people I think of that. Call me a bleeding heart liberal, I don't care, I can't help the way I think about things.
It's actually very calm and quiet in most cases. My friend has administered injections a few times and she never seems bothered by it that I can tell, she just looks at it as extra pay (they call paramedics to come do the job).

Old 05-28-2009, 09:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,911,733 times
I haven't read the entire thread; I will and then answer the questions that I can. Let's start here:

Quote:
2) Death penalty-I also fail to understand why liberals feel the need to protect the people who raped and kill other people.
I believe that those who commit terrible crimes deserve to die.

I do not, however, believe in giving the state the power over life or death of the individual.

It isn't the people who committed these crimes I have any interest in protecting. It's the rest of us...when the government has carte blanche to execute its citizens, we could concievably end up with with a situation such as occured in Nazi Germany.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
1) Illegal immigrants-I hear about how liberals are against kicking illegal immigrants out. Why is that? Why should we allow these people to come here and demand we adjust to them? I mean, think about it. They give no respect to our country and even fly the Mexican Flag over the United States one. We should we be ok with that? They hardly pay into anything. In fact, I watched a video that was posted in our illegal immigration forum and it ENRAGED me. This Mexican woman came over the border just to give birth and have an anchor baby. Who footed the bill? WE DID.
My concern here is that anyone with dark skin who speaks the Spanish language could be falsely believed to be in this country illegally. The economy has tanked and people are angry and looking for a scapegoat. I would prefer to direct my anger at the American citizens who choose to employ illegal aliens at financial gain to themselves. I find it disturbing that some in the illegal immigration forum seem to harp on subject such as "white culture" and find personal affronts in Spanish being spoken in the context of private conversations in public places.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
3) Welfare- You have no freakin idea how much abuse I have witnessed ever since I started working in retail. People try to buy all sorts of things on the Michigan Bridge Card and then yell at me when it does not go through. Well-DUH! I think you know you cannot buy nail polish or magazines on the card, right? I am standing here working for eight hours making $7.57 an hour for people like you? Don't talk to me like that and don't get angry like that when I am the one who is giving you all these benefits. I am for welfare BUT to a point. I am for welfare when someone can PROVE that they are indeed looking for a job and have hit hard times. Not because they don't want to work anymore (if they EVEN have worked before).
It's my understanding that things in Michigan are so bad that people are living in their cars, etc. I don't know what the welfare laws there are like but if they are anything likek here, it isn't as easy to get as just being unwilling to work.

In some places there are NO jobs left. I'm lucky; I'm old enough and connected enough so that it hasn't affected me yet, if it ever will. But damn it...unemployment is 20% where I'm presently at. You can't point fingers at people and say they refuse to work when the work just isn't there. In better economic times I would agree with your stance on this.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:51 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,418,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
True that.

It is the whole bringing God into everything and placing Christianity above everything else that gets to me. This whole war in Iraq-the whole denying gay people (who are citizens) their rights, blah blah..you know the rest.

I have been doing a lot of soul searching this week because it was my birthday on Tuesday and I just kept on thinking about how when we get older, we die and about God. I am more and more convinced God cannot be real. Although I completely understand (since I was a believer before) and respect a politicians choice to be any religion they want to be, I do not feel comfortable when they begin to mix religion into their politics. That is exactly what the Republican Party does.

Even with that going on though, I still line up with Liberals more in my beliefs anyways. So I don't know. LOL.
I 100% agree on point that the Republican party mixes politics and religion to the point it becomes highly undesirable. I myself am a Neo-Pagan who draw much of my moral philosophy from eastern thinkers. Even so I believe spiritually it is rare for people to have the same needs and I think it is good that we have as much diversity of belief in America. Unfortunatly lot of the time I tend to see a lot of the religious right's agenda as counter to the very legal and political traditions of tolerance, freedom and respect for the rights of others that our founders invisioned.

I too am quite liberal on several issues particularly social issues so I would not jump to the Republicans blindly, but it would be interesting to see a more secular Republican party.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:54 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,418,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Oh really? Here's one for ya: Why do many liberals continually vote to increase taxes to fund the overbloated and inefficiently-ran public school districts without questioning how the districts are currently mismanaging the existing funds? The answer: Because they are doing it "FOR THE CHILDREN"
Meh...liberals did a rather impressive job running the public school district I went to. Check out Chapel Hill-Carrboro city schools if you are interested.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:02 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,027,757 times
Hey, LV! I stand in line with karfar and cap1717...they both did a good job
explaining the liberal stance on the issues you raised. In this area there are
several different crops grown, and the harvesting is done by migrant workers; don't let anyone tell you that there aren't jobs that whites won't do; here they would rather cook meth than work up a sweat.
As a state senator, President Obama worked closely with Illinois law enforcement officials to pass legislation requiring that interrogations in capital cases be recorded, to protect both police and suspects. It was done with the assistance of former Gov. George Ryan (R-Il) due to the number of inmates in Illinois being exonerated by DNA evidence. Ryan actually imposed a moratorium on executions that is still in place. In rural
areas like this one, prisons and work camps are a large part of the economy. IMHO, the severely mentally ill or drug addicts require treatment
rather than incarceration.
Welfare is tougher, but cap1717 hit most, if not all, of the reasons that there will always be people who genuinely need assistance; it's a fact of life. And there will always be people to abuse it, just as there will always be people willing to abuse the trust of those with less education or less
intellect. When you get frustrated, remind yourself that the person you're
dealing with is probably lacking in either education, intellect or both. You
lack neither, plus you have a good heart...think, "There but for the grace of God go I."

Old 05-28-2009, 10:04 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,067,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Meh...liberals did a rather impressive job running the public school district I went to. Check out Chapel Hill-Carrboro city schools if you are interested.
LAUSD is a mess and everyone knows that liberals run Los Angeles ...

Old 05-28-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Personally, I chose something besides the public school system for my offspring. I'm not saying it isn't good in some places, but my experience was different, and I was lucky enough to have an alternative.

An English teacher accused my son of plagiarism...but the guy couldn't tell who he was ripping off...and this was in the context of a free form writing assignment at the beginning of every class. No books on the table--just kids writing down their thoughts. The teacher couldn't pinpoint it but he felt that my son couldn't have written those exercises on his own.

It gave me great pleasure to e-mail the SOB and inform him that my son had received a writing scholarship to an school that he (the teacher) never had a prayer of getting into in the first place.

Sometimes the public schools are nothing but a haven for mediocre teachers...I agree wthat Chapel Hill is a great place, but please...don't apply their excellent standards to all public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies