Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:01 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Yeah and that attitude is why things like this keep happening. Those in washignton know they can lie to us and whatever and we will just keep electing them.

Its time we start holding them accountable
Hmm.
When did washington lie to me about this topic?

Heck, even Bush didn't lie about appointing contributors, as far as I know.

What lie?

Look, if you want outrage you are going to have to do better than something that is common practice amongst presidents.

But with the everyday outrage manufactured on these forums constantly, any actual outrage-worthy news item will likely be less outrageous than it would have otherwise been (resistance to outrage).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 12:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Yeah, they should put veterinarians in there.
Do you ever post "constructive" replies ?

Old 05-29-2009, 12:36 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Hmm.
When did washington lie to me about this topic?

Heck, even Bush didn't lie about appointing contributors, as far as I know.

What lie?

Look, if you want outrage you are going to have to do better than something that is common practice amongst presidents.

But with the everyday outrage manufactured on these forums constantly, any actual outrage-worthy news item will likely be less outrageous than it would have otherwise been (resistance to outrage).
I am talking in general about lying to us. Lets not act like they dont just tell us what we want to hear to get elected.

It is really sad that you say you dont agree with it but its ok to allow it to happen.

I dont get people like you I really dont. Reminds me of people that like to complain something is happening but do nothing to prevent it from happening.

Shrugs what can one do.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:44 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I am talking in general about lying to us. Lets not act like they dont just tell us what we want to hear to get elected.

It is really sad that you say you dont agree with it but its ok to allow it to happen.

I dont get people like you I really dont. Reminds me of people that like to complain something is happening but do nothing to prevent it from happening.

Shrugs what can one do.
Ever hear of picking your battles?
This is so far down the list of importance - but hey, everybody needs a cause.

I remind you of people that like to complain?
Hilarious.

I'm sorry, but you are the one complaining.
And are you doing anything to 'prevent it from happening'?
Or just complaining?

Old 05-29-2009, 12:53 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Maybe Obama could consider a "shake up" and appoint someone who is a far-left activist with "empathy", someone with a compelling story, maybe even from the ghetto. Good representation for America don't you think?

Old 05-29-2009, 12:57 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do you consider the ongoing reign of ex-Goldman Sachs employees as heads of the Treasury outrageous ?
I wasn't entirely thrilled with Geithner, but I wasn't outraged, either. I have said on other threads that TARP and subsequent bail-out packages were examples of poor legislation. Rushed legislation is always poor legislation.

I wasn't outraged with Geithner because I realize that in terms of qualifications he had the education, experience and knowledge necessary for a Secretary of the Treasury. He was qualified, even though I don't agree with the strategies and policies he advocates. (And no, I wasn't thrilled with his tax problems, either, but I acknowledge that the tax code is practically designed to create almost unavoidable errors, and that his mistakes were mistakes made so commonly that the IRS regularly offers amnesty to people to correct those errors, so therefore Geithner's errors may not have been purposeful.)

I also recognize that Geithner's performance hasn't been stellar. But part of that is that for a number of reasons the Treasury Department has been understaffed and that Geithner has been spread thin, particularly during a period of financial crisis.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Then we are finally admitting that Obama would not qualify to be appointed Ambassador to anywhere, since he and Michelle have demonstrated that they are not sensitive to other countries' customs and practices?

LOL, not.

They may make mistakes, but you cannot prove they are insensitive.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Maybe Obama could consider a "shake up" and appoint someone who is a far-left activist with "empathy", someone with a compelling story, maybe even from the ghetto. Good representation for America don't you think?

Me! Appoint me! I'm not a far-left activist, I'm more of a centrist, but I can espouse far-left ideas with the best of 'em. I'm empathetic. Big time empathy. My story may not be all that unusual, but I'm certain I could make it seem compelling. I'm not from the ghetto, but from the hills of Arkansas, so no stranger to poverty. Appoint me!

Old 05-29-2009, 01:05 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
The two in the WH are most definitely NOT sensitive to the American people, those to whom you would THINK they represent. Making derogatory remarks about this great nation, apologizing for us "ugly Americans" all over the globe and bowing low to a desert rat are not my idea of "sensitivity", anything but.... That aside, they have made plenty of low-class gaffes toward world leaders, no need to enumerate the long list here, as everyone is no doubt aware.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I wasn't entirely thrilled with Geithner, but I wasn't outraged, either. I have said on other threads that TARP and subsequent bail-out packages were examples of poor legislation. Rushed legislation is always poor legislation.

I wasn't outraged with Geithner because I realize that in terms of qualifications he had the education, experience and knowledge necessary for a Secretary of the Treasury. He was qualified, even though I don't agree with the strategies and policies he advocates. (And no, I wasn't thrilled with his tax problems, either, but I acknowledge that the tax code is practically designed to create almost unavoidable errors, and that his mistakes were mistakes made so commonly that the IRS regularly offers amnesty to people to correct those errors, so therefore Geithner's errors may not have been purposeful.)

I also recognize that Geithner's performance hasn't been stellar. But part of that is that for a number of reasons the Treasury Department has been understaffed and that Geithner has been spread thin, particularly during a period of financial crisis.
I would have prefered to see someone like Volcker come back. His career background is mostly government work. What I don't like are these career switchers that hop back and forth from private to public sector.
Their first priorities may not always lie with the taxpayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies