Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 12:10 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
No but even the Arkansas Family Council attributed their success to the fact that they did their campaigning in churches.
They passed out flyers and got pastors to tell their congregations to vote for Initiated Act 1.

Plus Arkansas is not a bastion of gay tolerance anyway so voters are happy to tell all the "*****s" that they aren't welcome in the state.
I wasn't being sarcastic if you thought I was. I would have easily guessed that at least 70% of people in AR go to church almost every Sunday.

In AR, I think the act would have been successful regardless of any group's campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 12:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
They passed out flyers and got pastors to tell their congregations to vote for Initiated Act 1.
So what!!

Old 05-31-2009, 12:16 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I wasn't being sarcastic if you thought I was. I would have easily guessed that at least 70% of people in AR go to church almost every Sunday.

In AR, I think the act would have been successful regardless of any group's campaign.
Yeah, I thought you were being sarcastic.

Tis possible people would have voted for it regardless of the campaign but once people found out that it had to with gays, they were immediately FOR the bill because it would mean gays can't adopt children.

I would rather the ban be on adopting or fostering children in the foster care system.
Second parent adoption should be an option for same-sex couples and both parents should have legal rights to the child(ren) they raise.

Since there is a lawsuit against the act, I would hope there is a compromise that allows same-sex couples have legal rights to children they biologically have and allows parents to name a same-sex couple to take care of their child in the event of their death (which this act overrules as it stands now).

A bigger hope would be that the ban is completely overruled and the court allows same-sex couples to adopt and foster children. But living in AR as a lesbian, I know not to get my hopes up about anything positive for the gay community.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:20 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Yeah, I thought you were being sarcastic.

Tis possible people would have voted for it regardless of the campaign but once people found out that it had to with gays, they were immediately FOR the bill because it would mean gays can't adopt children.

I would rather the ban be on adopting or fostering children in the foster care system.
Second parent adoption should be an option for same-sex couples and both parents should have legal rights to the child(ren) they raise.

Since there is a lawsuit against the act, I would hope there is a compromise that allows same-sex couples have legal rights to children they biologically have and allows parents to name a same-sex couple to take care of their child in the event of their death (which this act overrules as it stands now).

A bigger hope would be that the ban is completely overruled and the court allows same-sex couples to adopt and foster children. But living in AR as a lesbian, I know not to get my hopes up about anything positive for the gay community.
Well, you know I have mixed feelings on the kids issue. Sorry. I'm starting to think through it some more, though, and I without a doubt don't support taking away rights from those who have kids biologically, nor do I support restricting gay couples from legal protections.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:11 PM

271 posts, read 182,131 times
Another state bites the dust.Course this is the same state that allows prostitution so no big surprise...as long as Georgia and South Dakota stay on the correct course.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:19 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
I've been reading about this in the local paper. It seems the Legislature has a shopping list of vetoed bills that it is systematically overriding. IIRC, Gibbons has already broken the record for vetoes.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Well, you know I have mixed feelings on the kids issue. Sorry. I'm starting to think through it some more, though, and I without a doubt don't support taking away rights from those who have kids biologically, nor do I support restricting gay couples from legal protections.
No need to apologize to me. I don't have kids and never will.
At the same time, I know plenty of kids who are affected by the laws that currently stand.

In any case, many children of same-sex couples are just like those raised by heterosexuals/male-female couples. They turn out bad kids just like heterosexuals and they turn out good kids just like heterosexuals.

The quality of the parent is not determined by their sexual orientation.

What exactly are you worried about and I mean this sincerely?

Old 05-31-2009, 06:43 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf88 View Post
Another state bites the dust.Course this is the same state that allows prostitution so no big surprise...as long as Georgia and South Dakota stay on the correct course.
Atlanta will probably legalize gay-marriage pretty soon. The issue was brought up some days ago.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Atlanta will probably legalize gay-marriage pretty soon. The issue was brought up some days ago.
For Atlanta to have marriage equality, all of Georgia will have it.
The only thing I can possibly see in Atlanta is a domestic partnership registry or possible some ordinance banning discrimination based on sexual orientation by public agencies within the city or something to that effect.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:01 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,755 times
Quote:
For Atlanta to have marriage equality, all of Georgia will have it.
The only thing I can possibly see in Atlanta is a domestic partnership registry or possible some ordinance banning discrimination based on sexual orientation by public agencies within the city or something to that effect.
I don't know. I thought cities could legalize gay marriage without state government intervention.

Either way, same-sex marriage will be legalized in Georgia one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies