Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do yoy stand on unions
Support unions in all industries 44 47.83%
Think unions have the time and place but should not be everywhere 20 21.74%
Do not support any union 25 27.17%
could care less 3 3.26%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 09:51 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I think it's silly to unionize retail, besides increasing the costs on already slim margins the basic working protection employment protections already given by the government doesn't make sense. It will also take away the incentive to work above the minimum level of service required, since unions are largely based on years of service.

If you have some one who is really very specialized or in a high risk activity that needs protection over the government standards, it makes sense...not for minimum wage slave, little skill service positions. I have worked a number of retail/customer service positions, and I think if it is not a fun job already it is incentive for people to get out of it and move on to bigger and brighter things. If people want more out of life, they need to make it happen.
Part of Costco is unionized, yet that company is doing better than Wal-Mart, which doesn't have a single labor union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 09:55 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-IRISH View Post
If thats the case,maybe we should unionize wall street,and the banks for that matter,and washington itself
Stock brokers and bankers already have contracts.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
For the most part - Unions are in impediment to employees and to business growing.
Then why do unions want to destroy companies that supply their union members with paychecks?

Old 06-21-2014, 10:08 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Every time I worked for a private sector employer I put in more time energy and effort than the job specs required. The response has always been the equivalent of "Good dog. Now do more for the same money." It has never been "Thanks, here is a bonus". I would then figure out just how little I could do without getting fired. It became a game.

When I had a job in Canada managing a project the Union Workers I hired did not have to be taught how to do their job. The guys in the US did and actually cost the company more.
When you can provide them with more than they were expecting, and take less time to accomplish the task than they were expecting, then that is the time for you to go into business for yourself.

Why continue to work for others who are obviously not as good, as their expectations demonstrate? They are holding you back from achieving your potential.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post

I am going to work on a campaign against unions, I have had enough. I am going to call it The Downfall of the Hard working American: How unions destroy business.
Then why haven't labor unions been able to destroy Costco? It's doing better than it's totally non-unionized competitor--Sam's.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then why haven't labor unions been able to destroy Costco? It's doing better than it's totally non-unionized competitor--Sam's.
That is a very low bar indeed you set for CostCo. LOL!

Old 06-21-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
Ah,, yes the old overtime issue. You realize that an employer cannot legally make you work over the scheduled hours that they created.
No, I don't. In my place of work, they had a list to get our name on if you wanted overtime. But there was mandatory overtime sometimes for the people not on the list.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

Unions in government should never be allowed. Unions in government subverts the "will of the people." The representatives of the people no longer represent the people, but rather represent the government labor union instead.
Those people running for city government positions should refuse to take campaign donations from city worker labor unions.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:19 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Every time I worked for a private sector employer I put in more time energy and effort than the job specs required. The response has always been the equivalent of "Good dog. Now do more for the same money." It has never been "Thanks, here is a bonus". I would then figure out just how little I could do without getting fired. It became a game.

When I had a job in Canada managing a project the Union Workers I hired did not have to be taught how to do their job. The guys in the US did and actually cost the company more.
So instead of putting together a presentation on the extra work you did over the last year and then asking for a raise because of it, you were that lazy guy who did the bare minimum to not lose your job?

You really do represent union mentality accurately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Stock brokers and bankers already have contracts.
Not the kind union workers have. I work in financial services, and most of our guys are 100% commission. If they don't make money, they don't get paid a dime. That is the opposite of a union, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Those people running for city government positions should refuse to take campaign donations from city worker labor unions.
That would not be a problem if unions were not allowed in government, at any level. Campaign contributions are the equivalent to free speech, according to the Supreme Court, therefore, it should not be restricted. Campaign contributions should certainly be made public, just not restricted to certain citizens. Everyone has the right to contribute to any political campaign they desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies