Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:23 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"all you leftists that mock people that did not go to college'

Just the one's who claim: that God created the universe in 7 days,
Is that any more ridiculous than saying that we were once a bunch of monkeys swinging from trees, or that the universe was once one big blob until some "big bang" blew it apart and everything just set into motion??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 09:29 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
But the "ghetto voters" came out in full force to vote for Obama....more than ever.
I realize that's scary

Quote:
Also, the people you're calling "uneducated" that vote republican are more than likely high school graduates that work blue collar jobs are are productive members of society. The average uneducated liberal voter is probably a high school dropout with a criminal record, living off of Section 8/welfare/SSI and contributing nothing to society.
Ah, want to quantify that "probably"?

I'll wait.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Is that any more ridiculous than saying that we were once a bunch of monkeys swinging from trees, or that the universe was once one big blob until some "big bang" blew it apart and everything just set into motion??????
The seven days statement is just that - a flat statement. There's no evidence that it's true and geology, for one example, proves it's not plausible. On the other hand, evidence gives credence to the "big bang" theory.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:43 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
There is a huge 'uneducated' base for both the left and the right. They are the ones swayed by rhetoric and propaganda and shiny things. Unfortunately that makes them more important and powerful than everyone else at election time.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:59 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There is a huge 'uneducated' base for both the left and the right. They are the ones swayed by rhetoric and propaganda and shiny things. Unfortunately that makes them more important and powerful than everyone else at election time.
Could be, except I think the right side usually prefers the REALLY shiny stuff ("Oh boy, a big gas-guzzlin truck!"), and REALLY simple-minded propaganda ("Love it or Leave it!"), and they especially like anything that goes BOOM! (i.e. the military & wars)....

Old 06-05-2009, 10:08 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Well, one derives from centuries of scientific inquiry into human nature and is the most logical and likely conclusion that can be drawn from that inquiry. The other is a belief that derives from no intellectual pursuit, only following a literal interpretation of a book compiled thousands of years ago by a vote of church leaders vying to be considered the "official" dogma.

I'm a very spiritual person, but I'd say there's a huge difference.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:09 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The seven days statement is just that - a flat statement. There's no evidence that it's true and geology, for one example, proves it's not plausible. On the other hand, evidence gives credence to the "big bang" theory.
What evidence is there for a big bang? If so, what caused the "big bang?" Who or what created the huge mass or "blob" that existed before the "big bang?"
Also, as far as the biblical "7 days," it is very possible that the days being referred to may be longer than a "day" as we know it. I'm of the opinion that not all of the Bible should be taken 100% literally, but that some of it is to be taken metaphorically and some of it has to be looked at in the context of the time it was written.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:10 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Out of all of those unemployed today, I wonder how many have college degrees.
In November (a little while ago, but still after the economy began to falter and after layoffs had already begun), the unemployment rate among workers with a college degree or higher reached 3.1 percent. While that figure is modest compared with the national unemployment rate of 6.7 percent -- and nowhere near the 10.5 percent unemployment rate among those without a high school diploma. LINK.

So you're half as likely to be unemployed if you have a college degree over a HS diploma, and 1/3 as likely to be unemployed than someone who never finished HS.

The fact is, nothing makes you sound more idiotic than mocking a college degree when you don't have one. All it sounds like is jealousy. Anyone can afford a college degree (if my father could get a masters' coming from his background, anyone can get at least an undergraduate degree), so the only reason you shouldn't have one is if you're able to achieve success without it. Richard Branson was able to, but chances are if you're not him, you're not likely to be all that successful without college.

Many jobs wont even consider an applicant without a degree, and many others require them. Without a degree you cannot become a doctor, architect, teacher, financial advisor (series 7 requires a degree), a military officer (except in rare cases) or many other PROFESSIONS.

If my kids were to grow up and not go to college, I'd consider myself a failure as a parent unless they were on their way to the Major Leagues or had started a successful business already. Since when is being educated a bad thing? How can you be more of an authority on politics than someone spent 4 years studying it at a school that only accepts the kids who did the best in their high schools? Harvard is NOT just for rich legacies, it's the place where all of the smartest and most accomplished students in the country fight for a chance to STUDY there. Sure, places like San Diego State or some other mediocre state school may not be full of second-rate students, but even they tried a little bit in HS. But mocking Ivy League schools is just pointless because it's obvious you couldn't be accepted to an Ivy League school and the students at those schools are the best and brightest of their generation (aside from those at Stanford, Duke, Cal Tech and a handful of others) and the reason why so many cabinet members come from those schools is because they're smart and they've accomplished a lot.

You can be successful without a college degree, but getting one is an accomplishment that the majority of Americans could not achieve, so mocking one is just a sign of an inferiority complex or simple jealousy.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
What evidence is there for a big bang? If so, what caused the "big bang?" Who or what created the huge mass or "blob" that existed before the "big bang?"
Also, as far as the biblical "7 days," it is very possible that the days being referred to may be longer than a "day" as we know it. I'm of the opinion that not all of the Bible should be taken 100% literally, but that some of it is to be taken metaphorically and some of it has to be looked at in the context of the time it was written.
Another big difference is that the big bang theory is not metaphorical, and doesnt need to be construed as such in order to sentimentalize an earlier, less plausible argument.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:47 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
But you have to understand that the liberals think they are the elite just like the brown shirt in the 40's. I saw a guest on Obermann during tea aprties who said that those people had a brain that pressed aginst their forehead and it was a mebtal defect. I thouhgt what a Nazi. Of course obermann never challeenger her but he sometimes almost looked like he was going to start laughing. But of course they stioll can 't expain why they need so much free governamnt handouts if they are the elite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies