Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 03:42 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Why aren't people more upset with the expansion of government?
Because the denizens of the blue states think they all want to work for the government.

They will be disabused of that notion over the next decade or so, but it will be a painful process. Particularly for the chattering classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 03:51 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Do you have a problem with oversight, or is it just the word "special" that's bugging you?
I have a problem with, from what I have read, that this is a brand new government position. I also read about another new position this morning, Great Lakes Czar. How big does he plan on making our government?
Obama Taps Cameron Davis As Great Lakes Czar

Old 06-05-2009, 04:06 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
If the gubmint hadnt stuck their noses in - even back at the end of the Bush days, when it began to - we'd be in a lot worse trouble than we're in now.
Maybe, we will never really know. But if the gubmint didn't stick their nose in the forcing of lenders to make bad loans maybe they wouldn't have been in that shape to begin with. It always seems to start inside the beltway.

Quote:
The ones who said they were forced to take TARP money -- have you ever wondered why they were forced to, and also why some made a point of broadcasting that they didnt want it?
I don't know, why don't you ask the governors that are being forced to take Barry's...oops, I mean our money?

Quote:
"Hurdles in the way of succeeding." You think the execs at these distressed banks that are in such bad shape they have to be helped by the government to stay alive, those execs should keep receiving the same gigantic salaries, on YOUR DIME. Wow, good doggie....
I never said that any exec should stay on the job or continue to get any compensation.
But remember, you guys were all for the tax cheat to be Treasury Secretary, receiving a gigantic salary, on YOUR DIME affecting YOUR LIFE a lot more than some guy employed by a bank. Put a guy who cheats on his taxes in charge of the IRS, boy you guys would have had a field day if Bush did that. I would too btw, I don't drink kool aide.

Talk about a good doggie, you forum leftist are so hooked on Barry's kool-aide that you let him screw the pooch and ask for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I have concerns that this will spill over into government regulated businesses or companies doing business with the government also. Why aren't people more upset with the expansion of government?
Because that's seems to be the plan, bigger gubmint because they know what's best for us commoners. The happy followers are either too ignorant to see it or too lazy and think it would be easier to have someone else make those nasty decisions for them.

Last edited by coastalrap; 06-05-2009 at 04:19 PM..

Old 06-05-2009, 04:09 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
If the gubmint hadnt stuck their noses in - even back at the end of the Bush days, when it began to - we'd be in a lot worse trouble than we're in now.

The ones who said they were forced to take TARP money -- have you ever wondered why they were forced to, and also why some made a point of broadcasting that they didnt want it?

"Hurdles in the way of succeeding." You think the execs at these distressed banks that are in such bad shape they have to be helped by the government to stay alive, those execs should keep receiving the same gigantic salaries, on YOUR DIME. Wow, good doggie....
You're clueless. We're in this mess BECAUSE the Government set interest rates way too law and other Government agencies and measures (Fannie, Freddie, CRA, etc) were promoting home ownership.

I opposed the TARP and all other bailouts. But, if you're going to loan someone money, you don't control what they do with the money so long as they can meet their obligations to repay you. If they want to keep paying bonuses, that's fine if they can meet their loan obligations. You realize that limiting compensation will result in the loss of the MOST PRODUCTIVE employees at these firms. They'll go to Hedge funds and other firms that are not controlled by TARP.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:10 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Maybe, we will never really know. But if the gubmint didn't stick their nose in the forcing of lenders to make bad loans maybe they wouldn't have been in that shape to begin with. It always seems to start inside the beltway.

I don't know, why don't you ask the governors that are being forced to take Barry's...oops, I mean our money?

I never said that any exec should stay on the job or continue to get any compensation.
But remember, you guys were all for the tax cheat to be Treasury Secretary, receiving a gigantic salary, on YOUR DIME affecting YOUR LIFE a lot more than some guy employed by a bank. Put a guy how cheats on his taxes in charge of the IRS, boy you guys would have had a field day if Bush did that. I would too btw, I don't drink kool aide.

Talk about a good doggie, you forum leftist are so hooked on Barry's kool-aide that you let him screw the pooch and ask for more.

Because that's seems to be the plan, bigger gubmint because they know what's best for us commoners. The happy followers are either too ignorant to see it or too lazy and think it would be easier to have someone else make those nasty decisions for them.

excellent post!

Old 06-05-2009, 04:13 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,358 times
Quote:
Sounds good doesn't it?

Barry decided he needed a Special Master of of Compensation, why a regular Master wouldn't do is is not known.

So for starters, the Special Master for Compensation will rule over companies that received bailout funds...whether they wanted the funds or they were forced to take them.

But who here doesn't think that this is just the beginning for our gubmint. Maybe when the Special Master is done with with his initial task, how about companies that the gubmint feels are "too big to fail", and companies who get gubmint contracts, or tax benifits, or maybe Master will decide your compensation as well.

But I'm sure companies won't take this into consideration when they need to decide where to move or set up shop. This couln't possibly cost us any more jobs to slip through the border.....Nawhhhh
Has there been any reports on whether President Obama like Dungeons and Dragons as a kid?

Old 06-05-2009, 04:18 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
We absolutely can know to a pretty far extent.... Lenders have never been forced to make a loan that they didnt agree to make -- IOW, that wouldnt make them money.

Quote:
Try thinking about it for a minute.

Quote:
Sorry if I misunderstood. I thought you meant compensation by the following. But actually,
But since we know that the gubmint can't do anything right, I do have a problem with them buttlefrucking up the works and placing hurdles in the way of succeeding.
are you actually saying these companies were doing just fine, and then the govt stepped in in its mad quest for control, and messed them all up?

Quote:
But remember, you guys were all for the tax cheat to be Treasury Secretary, receiving a gigantic salary, on YOUR DIME affecting YOUR LIFE a lot more than some guy employed by a bank. Put a guy how cheats on his taxes in charge of the IRS, boy you guys would have had a field day if Bush did that. I would too btw, I don't drink kool aide.
Geithner, huge salary? LOL, what RW blog told that lie?

"The disclosure shows that Geithner, 47, is among the least wealthy U.S. Treasury chiefs of the past decade."

Geithner Takes Salary Cut to Run Treasury, Gets Fed Severance - Bloomberg.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies