Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 02:33 PM

12 posts, read 52,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Yeah, and I wonder how much she will make off of the book she writes next year ?
I agree that most of the interviews and press conferences were well scripted.The coach along with many many others seized on this for a bit more Tv time.I bet she writes a book so as to fully exploit the situation for the best monetary gain. The comment wasn't even about the coach it was about the players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 02:34 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Do we all remember when Michael Irvin made some racist comments about Tony Romo on ESPN? He basically said that since Romo is white he cant be a good athlete, and that his "great great great grandmother must have gone down to the hood and something went down."

Why not the same reaction over that?

Double standards are what fashionable Reverends are wearing this Spring

Old 04-15-2007, 12:22 AM

46 posts, read 92,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Do we all remember when Michael Irvin made some racist comments about Tony Romo on ESPN? He basically said that since Romo is white he cant be a good athlete, and that his "great great great grandmother must have gone down to the hood and something went down."

Why not the same reaction over that?
Because that would be totally fair and wouldn't be a double standard...I know probably most blacks DON'T feel that way, but the Black Panthers absolutely hate EVERYTHING that whites do or are even associated with. I don't think they speak for a majority of blacks, though, thank goodness. We all bleed the same color of blood.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:48 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,697 times
I think everybody is giving Al Sharpton and Jesse more 'credit' than they deserve in this matter. Imus pissed somebody off and American media brought him down. For 2 days, Anderson Cooper, Wolf Blitzer, Paula Zahn, Larry King (all of these people are white by the way), among other major news anchors milked this story for ratings. All the morning TV shows and radio show had a field day with this story way before Sharpton and Jackson got their hands on it. I've never heard of Imus before this but I know that majority of his audience is caucasian and that's who blew the whistle and alerted the media about his comments since they had slipped through the cracks unnoticed. According to what I've heard, the man has been doing this for 30 years. Now, all of a sudden he's in trouble for this particular incident? I think caucasian public figures should STOP running to Al Sharpton or Jesse everytime they do/say something stupid that is racially charged. Al and Jesse DONT speak for every black person with a brain. The Rutgers team probably accepted his apology from day one as they agreed to meet with him.

Besides, Imus didn't even get fired for the comments. He originally only got suspended. He got fired for losing advertisers. The only important color that matters is green no matter what the issue.

As a black woman, I don't find the term nappy offensive. I've even referred to my own hair as that. I do find ho and jiggaboo very offensive. Which is why I am glad that this happened because hopefully some of these rappers and people who support them will wake up and see the effect of the language they are using. However I must add that I have never heard a rapper use the term jiggaboo. I wonder where Imus picked that one up from?

I also find it interesting that some white people are referring to themselves as "second or third-class" citizens because of this incident. Well, I guess that makes us all brothers and sisters in the struggle now. All I can say is that I hope people will sit down and actually listen to and consider what you feel has been a racial injustice instead of dismissing you and telling you to "just get over it".

Old 04-15-2007, 08:33 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,544 times
My sister's called me worse than what some stranger/radio bigmouth called the ladies for ratings. They are better than him, and they should have known that. Now he'll only get a sweet deal like Howard did from all the hype.

If I sued every time I heard "Irish Drunk", "Italian Mafia Gangster Greazeball" or "Dumb Blonde Joke", I'd buy Bill Gates out.
Wanna hear mean? Ask a Philadelphian about their very own players, particularly baseball, over the years! Imus could hang with them for some material if he goes to Satellite Radio with Stern. It'd get a lot more personal than bashing the group.
Individual targets here. Borders on character defamation.

Case in point: See one Charlie Manuel, Phils' manager. He's a pure country bumpkin who speaks with a southern drawl and is relentlessly made fun of by this media & fans (<--"Hey, YO! This is Philly, man!") more for how he talks and how he phrases things than his game decisions. They call the guy "Elmer Befuddled" (dubbed by a longtime columnist), among other things. Why hasn't he sued anybody?

And Hillary Clinton -- phew. Between the being "not exactly female" barbs and her appearance. Chelsea (sp?)! NO holds barred there. I know they're public figures, but she was just a kid! (NOT a Hillary fan.)

Never listened to DI, but he's known for being Equal Opportunity Insulter - just like Stern. He apparently made his living insulting everyone and everything for the ratings, to get peple fired up.
Now had he named and targeted one or more of the ladies specifically - there'd been a nice juicy lawsuit by the parents!

We'd be better served just ignoring bigmouths like Imus whose purpose in life is to insult & rip if we don't like them. God knows, there's enough around us without even having to turn a radio or TV on. Meet my sister who referred to her 6 year old nephew as a "pigeon toed faggit" because he's more soft spoken & polite than her tough kid, who liked to bully him. It's quite the challenge each day just to avoid her altogether -- and I can't put her on mute!! Who needs Imus, a stranger, busting on other strangers?

Last edited by Travel'r; 04-15-2007 at 08:51 AM..

Old 04-15-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
As a black woman, I don't find the term nappy offensive. I've even referred to my own hair as that. I do find ho and jiggaboo very offensive. Which is why I am glad that this happened because hopefully some of these rappers and people who support them will wake up and see the effect of the language they are using. However I must add that I have never heard a rapper use the term jiggaboo. I wonder where Imus picked that one up from?

I think a good part of what's cranking people up is the hypocrisy and double standards that Sharpton and Jackson can apparently apply at their pleasure, no questions asked. Where was the outrage and calls for action when Jackson referred to Jews as hymies? Read Sharpton's history RE: Tawana Brawley and the Central Park jogger, issues he shot from the hip about yet NEVER displayed any sort of remorse over, let alone an apology yet he says an apology from Imus isn't good enough.

I'm just hoping that as well as Imus being over the line that this time enough people will realize that Sharpton's over the line to bring him down.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:43 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think a good part of what's cranking people up is the hypocrisy and double standards that Sharpton and Jackson can apparently apply at their pleasure, no questions asked. Where was the outrage and calls for action when Jackson referred to Jews as hymies? Read Sharpton's history RE: Tawana Brawley and the Central Park jogger, issues he shot from the hip about yet NEVER displayed any sort of remorse over, let alone an apology yet he says an apology from Imus isn't good enough.

I'm just hoping that as well as Imus being over the line that this time enough people will realize that Sharpton's over the line to bring him down.
I agree the double standard is there and I really hope this will definitely bring about change on both sides. The good thing is that a lot of people, Black women especially, are seriously looking at the way we are being portrayed by rappers, comedians, etc. Unfortunately, Sharpton and Jackson share the line of thinking that whatever wrong Black people do, its all White people's fault. That's why he lashed out at what Bill Cosby had to say about the Black community and he definitely doesn't like Barrack Obama. They never want to take responsibility for the wrong they have done and there's just no reasoning with people like that.

Sharpton has been a joke for a long time. I mean he got mad at the term "nappy-headed" and his perm looks better than mine! I mean come on, LOL.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I agree the double standard is there and I really hope this will definitely bring about change on both sides. The good thing is that a lot of people, Black women especially, are seriously looking at the way we are being portrayed by rappers, comedians, etc. Unfortunately, Sharpton and Jackson share the line of thinking that whatever wrong Black people do, its all White people's fault. That's why he lashed out at what Bill Cosby had to say about the Black community and he definitely doesn't like Barrack Obama. They never want to take responsibility for the wrong they have done and there's just no reasoning with people like that.

Sharpton has been a joke for a long time. I mean he got mad at the term "nappy-headed" and his perm looks better than mine! I mean come on, LOL.

It's just a shame the media gives so much attention to Sharpton, I wish they'd declare a "No Time for Al" policy. He may claim to be interested in civil rights but like it's been said for a long time, actions speak louder than words.

His actions seem to indicate his main interest is stirring up trouble, even where none exists, I'd guess it's his own warped attempt to provide himself job security.

Last edited by burdell; 04-15-2007 at 11:12 AM..

Old 04-15-2007, 11:08 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
I think everybody is giving Al Sharpton and Jesse more 'credit' than they deserve in this matter. Imus pissed somebody off and American media brought him down. For 2 days, Anderson Cooper, Wolf Blitzer, Paula Zahn, Larry King (all of these people are white by the way), among other major news anchors milked this story for ratings. All the morning TV shows and radio show had a field day with this story way before Sharpton and Jackson got their hands on it. I've never heard of Imus before this but I know that majority of his audience is caucasian and that's who blew the whistle and alerted the media about his comments since they had slipped through the cracks unnoticed. According to what I've heard, the man has been doing this for 30 years. Now, all of a sudden he's in trouble for this particular incident? I think caucasian public figures should STOP running to Al Sharpton or Jesse everytime they do/say something stupid that is racially charged. Al and Jesse DONT speak for every black person with a brain. The Rutgers team probably accepted his apology from day one as they agreed to meet with him.

Besides, Imus didn't even get fired for the comments. He originally only got suspended. He got fired for losing advertisers. The only important color that matters is green no matter what the issue.

I also find it interesting that some white people are referring to themselves as "second or third-class" citizens because of this incident. Well, I guess that makes us all brothers and sisters in the struggle now. All I can say is that I hope people will sit down and actually listen to and consider what you feel has been a racial injustice instead of dismissing you and telling you to "just get over it".
Supposedly the line "its the jiggaboos versus the wannabees" was in a Spike Lee comedy movie.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:10 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Supposedly the line "its the jiggaboos versus the wannabees" was in a Spike Lee comedy movie.
That was my understanding as well, though what I heard from a summary of the Today show was that Imus/McGuirk thought it was from Do The Right Thing (not really a comedy), when in fact the movie was School Daze.
Once again, to me this a self-referencing aspect; what Spike Lee the black director creates in cinema is not the same thing as a Imus/McGuirk's stupid comments.
But I realize that for some, it's a blurry line between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies