Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:21 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,910,798 times

Advertisements

i have nappy hair and i love it, comb it and wash it and it is still nappy. IMUS has some nappy hair too, but hey the first amendment is against the law now so watch what you call me

ha ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 10:03 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,862 times
Is this not enough evidence to prove that blacks now have the "power" they've been longing for all these years. Of course, Sharpton and Jackson will deny it since this would no longer allow them to make racist remarks. Remember the defense that people without the "power" cannont be racist?

Old 04-12-2007, 10:05 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colomonter View Post

Paintings are a different story, they don't come over the airwaves. You have to make an effort to seek them out. That being said, paintings can't be displayed anywhere and everywhere that someone might want to display them either.

Some people go to a museum expecting landscapes, turn a corner and see a nude that offends them, really no different than someone tuning in an unfamiliar radio show,

Don't like the painting? Walk away. Doesn't mean others shouldn't be allowed to see it.

Don't like a radio show? Turn it off. Doesn't mean others shouldn't be allowed to hear it.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
It's context. It's intent.
I just don't think it's that funny or responsible for Imus to call a bunch of basketball players "the jigaboos vs the wannabes."
Carlin is usually quite funny, partly because he knows when and how to use edgy language--and I've never heard him resort to the level Imus has.
I grew up with "nappy" not being a bad word at all. My little brother used to have hair just like dear Bob Ross' (I loved that guy!) except it was blonde.
But the way Imus used nappy, along with the other stuff he said, was stupid and unfunny.
The most outrageous thing about all this is the way we are distracted from the war and from various misdeeds (done dirt cheap!) by people in the White House.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:17 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
It's context. .
But the way Imus used nappy, along with the other stuff he said, was stupid and unfunny.
The most outrageous thing about all this is the way we are distracted from the war and from various misdeeds (done dirt cheap!) by people in the White House.

I don't think anyone's arguing that Imus was smart and funny. It's the MASSIVE OVERREACTION that's causing all the flap. There wasn't as big a reaction when Bush referred to the coming war on terror as a crusade even though that is about the same as HAMAS calling for a holocaust.

And I agree, Dubya is probably sitting back saying "Thank You Don Imus"

Old 04-13-2007, 12:31 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Babs Streisand had it going on for awhile!
She was rockin' the Jew-Fro, just like myself & my entire family! Most of us have "nappy" hair, and I've been told that by more than one Black person... my brother, who has a slightly darker complexion than I do, has actually been mistaken for bi-racial many times. So Bob Ross isn't the only one with that hair - just visit my Temple some time, LOL!

P.S. I fully agree that this is an issue of respect, and context... Stevie Wonder calling himself a "nappy headed boy" is QUITE different from what Imus said. It was rude & uncalled for, and when you're representing a private company, you should watch your mouth. Period.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:32 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
IMUS has some nappy hair too, but hey the first amendment is against the law now so watch what you call me

ha ha
As I said earlier, the first amendment doesn't apply when you're at work... you sign away that right when you accept the job, and must abide by their rules from that point on. They may not be able to have you arrested, but they can fire you for breaking those rules. Can you waltz into your job and call people names? I certainly can't, and I work for the government!

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-13-2007 at 12:43 AM..

Old 04-13-2007, 01:12 AM

46 posts, read 92,798 times
Default Let's be fair, America

I wish there were HALF as much criticism and action regarding the rap music with profanity and insulting, degrading and pathetic lyrics as there is about Imus. Evidently, heartfelt apologies are no longer accepted by some.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:56 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. I fully agree that this is an issue of respect, and context... Stevie Wonder calling himself a "nappy headed boy" is QUITE different from what Imus said. It was rude & uncalled for, and when you're representing a private company, you should watch your mouth. Period.
I think that's what kicked off all this- he took a potshot at a group of kids who a) clearly didn't deserve being insulted that way and b) don't have a similar forum to defend themselves as Imus did to make the insult in the first place. It would be like a world champion boxer beating up some 98-pound weakling on an elementary school playground.

While I agree with you, cil, about how there are other, bigger things to worry about, I am hopeful that this might be what begins to take down the Mighty Wurlitzer. You can't underestimate how much the right relies on talk radio to get its disgusting message out. It's clear that media, and talk radio in particular, has gotten extremely coarse over the years, and I'm encouraged that this is a clear indication that people are sick of this kind of garbage filling their airwaves. Gratuitous insults are not wit, and they are not indicative of a superior intellect, but yet people who do this are given the biggest platforms. Before our national discourse is raised again, this has to stop. I hope this is the first step.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:10 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
I think that's what kicked off all this- he took a potshot at a group of kids who a) clearly didn't deserve being insulted that way and b) don't have a similar forum to defend themselves as Imus did to make the insult in the first place. It would be like a world champion boxer beating up some 98-pound weakling on an elementary school playground.

While I agree with you, cil, about how there are other, bigger things to worry about, I am hopeful that this might be what begins to take down the Mighty Wurlitzer. You can't underestimate how much the right relies on talk radio to get its disgusting message out. It's clear that media, and talk radio in particular, has gotten extremely coarse over the years, and I'm encouraged that this is a clear indication that people are sick of this kind of garbage filling their airwaves. Gratuitous insults are not wit, and they are not indicative of a superior intellect, but yet people who do this are given the biggest platforms. Before our national discourse is raised again, this has to stop. I hope this is the first step.
I agree with everything you said, mb1919, especially about gratuitous insults being mistaken for wit.
I wonder if Imus was yanked more because CBS was losing advertising, but the result is the same...and if the advertisors no longer want to be associated with this kind of stuff, maybe some sort of corner has been turned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies