Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 09:27 PM

79 posts, read 211,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentfloyd View Post
So the guy said something stupid. They are really being brutal to him. "Reverend" Al Sharpton (who is by the way not a reverend) is a racist himself, and so is Jesse Jackson.

Don Imus might have said something dumb but thats no reason to call for him to lose his job over it.

What has this country come to ? Whatever happened to the First Ammendment?

I don't understand why he is being crucified by the media like this.
Honestly, to me there are things that are just off limits and calling somebody a nappy headed ***** ought to be one of them. In the right context it is just about as offensive as the N-Bomb. I can guarantee had Imus been on the street he probably would have got a lot worse than losing his job. That's real talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 09:30 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,670 times
What he said was definately racist, maybe some people would try to say that calling a majority of BLACK females hoes wasen't in and of itself racist, however to add insult to injury he called them NAPPY HEADED hoes.

I don't think anyone could say that having hair described by some people as nappy isn't applied to black people, and this just cements his comment as racist.

What's really troubling is that some posters feel it's alright to call someone's child that they don't know a hoe, and that should be protected under the first amendment. What about common decentcy and respect for people?

If we as a society allowed anyone to say anything we would all suffer to live in a much more confrontational and hostile society.

If you called my child a nappy headed hoe, enough said.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:31 PM

79 posts, read 211,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Somebody forgot to tell Imus that Whites are third class citizens these days. If he were Black or Latino and made disparaging remarks about Whites, he wouldn't suffer any consequences. Better luck next time, Don.
You're crazy, if a brother or latino said anything similar like what Imus said to a white person that brother or latino would have been gone last week. Please Believe Me.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:28 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,874 times
If my daughter would have been on that basketball team I would have cried for her, how horrible, how demeaning and you know that other people will call these girls that, even in teasing its got to hurt. We are all guilty of saying inappropriate things about others , in jest or just not thinking but we don't have an audience as large as his, he owes an apology to these young women and a explanation. He does not owe an apology to Jessie Jackson or Sharpton, they love this, just proves a point that the white guys are the bad guys. I don't know how he can make it up to these girls but that's where his focus should be, fired no, free speech is important whether we like it or not.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:38 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
Some time ago I accidentally tuned in to MSNBC and saw Imus working with a performer who was doing a racially degrading imitation of the Mayor of New Orleans. I was stunned that sort of thing could be going on in this day and age.

I should have written letters, but I did stop watching NBC news altogether.

It was just a matter of time till Imus's obnoxious behavior caught up with him.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:10 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
"Looking back on when i
Was a little nappy headed boy

Stevie Wonder
'I Wish'

A horribly insensitive racist statement?

Old 04-12-2007, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
What's really troubling is that some posters feel it's alright to call someone's child that they don't know a hoe, and that should be protected under the first amendment. What about common decentcy and respect for people?

It's not just about Imus. When Al Sharpton vigorously goes after EVERY public personna calling someone's child a hoe as many rappers have he might have some credibility. Until then he can only be considered a rabble-rousing, cheap-shot artist, hypocritical media ho'.

Last edited by burdell; 04-12-2007 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: I forgot to include hypocritical

Old 04-12-2007, 07:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
What about common decency and respect for people?
That's basically the crux of this.
I myself can display a fairly adolescent sense of humor and laugh at some rather dumb stuff.
But Imus' on-the-air words, the aging shock jock's casual attempt to be edgy and hip, were merely stupid, and certainly not entertaining. I know he runs the ranch for sick kids and all that, but I just don't see any excuse for what he said. He blew it.
Freedom of speech is no excuse for poor taste. I am not crazy about censorship; people can say what they want, but that doesn't mean there won't be negative repercussions, especially on federally regulated airwaves.
Apparently he's been spewing this stuff for years, but with so much advertising being pulled, the networks have oh-so-nobly decided to pull Imus' plug. MSNBC Online (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18062462/site/newsweek/ - broken link)

Anyway.
The basketball players will move on.
Ultimately, the hurt caused will affect Imus more than the young women.

Yap, I disagree. This would have been a big deal without the Kramer incident.
At least Imus hasn't gone into therapy or something.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
"Looking back on when i
Was a little nappy headed boy

Stevie Wonder
'I Wish'

A horribly insensitive racist statement?
It was self-referencing!
Burdell, you are smart enough to know that *context* is everything.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
It was self-referencing!
Burdell, you are smart enough to know that *context* is everything.

I'm also smart enough to understand that an off-hand tasteless remark is not the same as burning a cross on someone's lawn, especially considering its source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies