Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:36 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,532,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentfloyd View Post
So the guy said something stupid. They are really being brutal to him. "Reverend" Al Sharpton (who is by the way not a reverend) is a racist himself, and so is Jesse Jackson.

Don Imus might have said something dumb but thats no reason to call for him to lose his job over it.

What has this country come to ? Whatever happened to the First Ammendment?

I don't understand why he is being crucified by the media like this.
I guess we will down Imus for a while, because we have gotten tired of downing Howard K. Stern. Wonder who the next victim will be ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 08:37 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,262,754 times
Just for kicks I looked up the definition of "nappy" it said, small, tight, curls! Our society has used the term in a derogatory way . . . just like kinky. Would you rather be described with kinky curly hair or straight smooth locks! I know which I would prefer!

Old 04-12-2007, 08:40 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,615,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why?

And how would you propose choosing just who would set those standards?

I find it offensive that there was a bigger media flap and government reaction about Janet Jackson's 'wardrobe malfunction' than about the care returning combat wounded are receiving.

THAT's offensive!
...that, and why do we need a special "alert system" for missing children, but everybody in the country seemed to know about OJ's white Bronco tour within an hour or two of it happening

Priorities are completely gone in this country. The media broadcasts what sells. Missing kids and wounded soldiers don't raise ratings.

Janet's old wrinkly boob, well that's good for a few points, lol.

~T

Old 04-12-2007, 08:46 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,335,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
How many white people have been called "kinky-haired."
Bob Ross is the only white person that comes to mind.

This will all be over when the next "celebrity" fouls up.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:48 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,484,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post

Dylan, maybe it's a 'Bob' thing

Old 04-12-2007, 08:51 AM

110 posts, read 474,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why?

And how would you propose choosing just who would set those standards?

I find it offensive that there was a bigger media flap and government reaction about Janet Jackson's 'wardrobe malfunction' than about the care returning combat wounded are receiving.

THAT's offensive!
Why.....so we wouldn't have to deal with this sort of issue everytime someone says something that someone feels has crossed the line.

There are already standards for TV, Radio, Forums etc., and always have been. The lines have blurred and that is why we have these controversies all the time. Standards are set and changed all the time anyway, why not have them in place before something happens as opposed to after?

Nappy headed ho's will no longer be said on radio or tv because of this incident. Well, I take that back, it may be said but there will be huge consequences if done so.

Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction.....that is just society that we live in. That sort of issue along with anything celebrity related (see Anna Nicole Smith) will always take up an inordinate amount of time and space within our society.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:54 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,792 posts, read 4,161,276 times
Default They're just words !!!!

Damn it, they were just words... and not even vicious or threatening words.
Just "nappy haired", which is an accurate description of black hair, and the word "ho", which blacks themselves use constantly.
Good grief, what small, childish people we're dealing with that are so hot and bothered about a few words.
And the media, who can always be counted on to be irresponsible, are playing this for all it's worth, which will only perpetuate and encourage future whiners to raise hell about things that just don't matter.
When you get down to it, this is all about race, and the fact that minorities get a free pass on all sorts of outrageous behavior and statements, but all a prominent white has to do is say something racially "insensitive" and he is finished. This double standard is starting to wear very thin with me.
I wish the media and others would get so upset about things like say, the murders of, on average, 1000-1200 whites every year by nonwhites (DOJ/FBI Uniform Crime Statistics). Oh, but that's no big deal. Let's worry more about a few "hurtful" words uttered by an idiot.
Makes sense to me.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:56 AM

110 posts, read 474,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post

He is a great painter though. He paints those pictures in about 20 minutes...and usually with a squirrel or something like that in his pocket. lol

Old 04-12-2007, 08:59 AM

9,892 posts, read 10,837,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colomonter View Post
He is a great painter though. He paints those pictures in about 20 minutes...and usually with a squirrel or something like that in his pocket. lol
HA HA HA HA HA HA, A squirrel in his pocket?

Old 04-12-2007, 09:00 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,484,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colomonter View Post
Nappy headed ho's will no longer be said on radio or tv because of this incident. Well, I take that back, it may be said but there will be huge consequences if done so.

And just who would you trust to decide WHAT CAN be said without being hung for it? It's a slippery slope.

I've seen paintings I considered tasteless but I'll be dam*ed if I'll trust anyone to decide that I can't see them and make my own judgement. And I don't think their painters should be banned from exhibiting.

Other than protecting those too young to understand and make their own judgements censorship is dangerous territory. I'd rather have food that's occasionally too spicy than something bland every meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies