Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:55 AM

3,085 posts, read 7,255,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I certainly don't.
Nothing fundamental will change. It would take a revolution. But revolutions aren't exactly fun things. And not going to happen anytime in the near or moderate future. So, I guess we'll stick with the mediocreness we have.
Change, no matter what mainstream politician is promising it, will always be incremental. And noone touting true radical change would be elected. That is the nature of our system for good or bad. Safe and conservative (in the true sense of the word), yet unadaptable.
Also, the president is just one person. Powerful, of course. But not a dictator.

This is a very good post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:12 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,351,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
That isnt going to happen because this country leans right and gallup new poll shows that 40% are republican while only 21% say they are liberal

Liberals were always the smaller number.

"Compared with the 1992-1994 period, the percentage of moderates has declined from 42% to 35%, while the percentages of conservatives and liberals are up slightly -- from 38% to 40% for conservatives and a larger 17% to 21% movement for liberals".

So keep feeding the flames. Your helping the liberal cause.

(source:Gallup May 2009 poll that was referred to by Jadex)

Old 06-16-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I certainly don't.
Nothing fundamental will change. It would take a revolution. But revolutions aren't exactly fun things. And not going to happen anytime in the near or moderate future. So, I guess we'll stick with the mediocreness we have.
Change, no matter what mainstream politician is promising it, will always be incremental. And noone touting true radical change would be elected. That is the nature of our system for good or bad. Safe and conservative (in the true sense of the word), yet unadaptable.
Also, the president is just one person. Powerful, of course. But not a dictator.
So you're telling me a tea party ain't gonna cut it?

And I was all set to bake cookies for July 4th!!!!

(good post by the way, blue)

Old 06-16-2009, 10:06 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,646,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I'd love to be able to vote for an actual liberal. I don't see it happening any time soon. That said, I don't regret my Obama support and vote. He's doing a great job - even if he's too interested in bipartisanship.
"To interested in bipartisanship"? LMAO, yea, who needs dissent aye? Opposing views must be crushed and swept aside. Sounds like the USA I want to live in. Follow blindly and be thus led to your salvation.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:06 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,543,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I think in the last election we tried to step outside the box. Hence, Obama won because Bush was so bad.

I think in the 2012 we have to step all the way outside of the box. Vote for anti-lobby/outside party. We should be in a system where Obama would be considered the conservative and far right. So we can have someone who is truly left debate with him on the issues.

I'm not saying I regret voting for Obama. I just hope that politics change. The same way bad businesses like Circuit City and Sbarro are gone, I want the Republican party gone. It should be Democrats vs. Greenparty/Independent.

If its still that Dem vs. Republican model in the next election i'll probably be apathetic.

Funny, considering the two other alternatives McCain and Palin....I would do it again if they were still the alternative choice.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:08 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,456,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
That isnt going to happen because this country leans right and gallup new poll shows that 40% are republican while only 21% say they are liberal
Either you misquoted or that poll is seriously flawed. Republican doesn't necessarily mean conservative just like Democrat doesn't always mean liberal.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:10 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,543,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I'm glad hes stickin it to all the people who voted for him, and those same people are too conscious of their pride and/or plain dumb to come to that realization. Barry is making a fool out of himself, hes disappointing millions and he is assuring that the Democratic party will be leaving a bad taste in America's mouth after his time in office is up.

Ahhhh its so refreshing to have a liberal that eats his own... especially when they jump right into his mouth.

I voted for him, the only change i've notice it the extreme vocal outcry by the haters who would have preferred alternative of McCain and Palin which is more concerning than anything if they were deciding our fate.

I mean come on McCain is really no different than Obama except he always have flashbacks of his time in Vietnam and then you have Palin... i mean give me a break. There would have been absolutely NO DIFFERENCE. So you people really need to give it a break.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Either you misquoted or that poll is seriously flawed. Republican doesn't necessarily mean conservative just like Democrat doesn't always mean liberal.

He misquoted the poll. (see my post above #22). Question that was asked was, Would you consider yourself a Conservatives, Moderate or Liberal, not anything about the Political Parties.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:23 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,447,197 times
Not for a single moment do I regret my support for President Obama.

I don't live in a fantasy world where I'll be in lockstep with every decision he makes. I know there'll be issues he'll have to compromise on. But guess what -- that's one of the primary reasons I supported him! Unlike the lip-service Bush gave to being "a uniter, not a divider," President Obama's legislative record showed he was the real deal.

I'm very much looking forward to the next 4 years.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:26 AM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times
I don't. I'm enjoying the show.

My only regret is that I couldn't vote for Hillary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies