Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 12:38 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,652,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Wow, what's w/the close-mindedness? Uh, yeah, we all know this is america where english is the native language. No one's saying it should be spanish, where do you get that from? Why the paranoia? Is it such an awful thing to be bilingual, I really don't understand how ANYONE can be opposed to learning another language. It's like some of you are just completely paranoid, scared, stubborn...I don't know what it is but it's very perplexing.

The big part about that (for me at least) is that the other language ALWAYS has to be Spanish. I know 3 other languages besides English and because I don't speak Spanish I'm not technically considered bi-lingual. I took the time to learn English before I moved to the US, and took other languages while here as well. I never had a need to learn Spanish because I don't plan on traveling extensively or living in Spain or Mexico or any other predominantly Spanish speaking areas. Now, people are telling me I NEED to learn Spanish... in all honesty I just don't want too. I live in the US and learned English. When I move back to Germany next year I will speak German (my native tongue) and I also speak French because we will be living near the French border.

I just don't feel there is a need for me to cater to people that refuse to learn the language of the land they moved to, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 01:08 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,545,486 times
Quote:
Wow, what's w/the close-mindedness? Uh, yeah, we all know this is america where english is the native language. No one's saying it should be spanish, where do you get that from? Why the paranoia? Is it such an awful thing to be bilingual, I really don't understand how ANYONE can be opposed to learning another language. It's like some of you are just completely paranoid, scared, stubborn...I don't know what it is but it's very perplexing.

I'm not against learning another language, but the failure rate in the U.S public school system is too high to add on another requirement before fixing whats already broken.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:10 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,545,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
In Europe, all students are taught two or three languages from the very beginning and it's rare that a European does not speak another language.

Why is it okay for Americans to be so Ethnocentric and ignorant? I am bi-lingual, and have studied about 10 languages (French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Greek, Hebrew, German and a couple others) in my life and the knowledge of other languages also makes understanding my own much easier.

It's a proven fact that the earlier a language is taught to a child, the more their language center of the brain develops. I met 8 year olds in Norway who spoke German, English and Norsk FLUENTLY, and yet here in the US, we have idiots on these boards who can't even tell the difference between "Sordid Past" and "Sorted Pass" and "Your" and "You're".

I coach 14 year old baseball players, and the most successful STUDENT on my team is the one who attended a Spanish-immersion school from K-8. He's a scrawny white boy who is half-Jewish, but he knows more Spanish than the kid on my team born to Mexican parents (he was born in the US, his parents are naturalized citizens) and is a far superior student than anyone else on the team. The fact of the matter is that the more you teach a child while they are young, the more their brain develops. How could it be bad to teach them Spanish? I just think there should be a choice on which language, but all children should learn a foreign language from Kindergarten through HS graduation.

so your take away is that Americans are Ethnocentric and ignorant? Interesting.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:16 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,353,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I know 3 other languages besides English and because I don't speak Spanish I'm not technically considered bi-lingual.
That's one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever seen.

By definition, bilingual means a person who speaks two languages fluently, it says nothing about which language.

I've seen plenty of advertisements for jobs that are looking for a Bilingual person and they did not mean Spanish.

Personal Assistant Bilingual (Russian – English) (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/etc/1226868975.html - broken link)
Quote:
Bilingual (Russian – English) Personal Assistant needed in San Diego.
Responsibilities will include, but not limited to: correspondence (business and personal), paperwork, filing, bill paying,
errands, shopping, helping with kids and around the house, helping with business development, etc.
Online Gamers wanted! Multiple, bilingual positions available! (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/csr/1223316470.html - broken link)
Quote:
Are you an avid online gamer who loves playing MMO games? Eager to get started in the creative world of online entertainment? Then Volt Workforce Solutions has just the opportunity for you!

Volt Workforce Solutions has partnered with a Japanese Online Gaming company, and we are looking to hire multiple bilingual customer service positions.
If you are passionate about online gaming and fluent in either Spanish, French, German, or Japanese – please contact us immediately for consideration!

These positions will provide customer support to gamers via online chat and inbound calls at our customer site in Miramar – San Diego, CA. Call center environment with various shifts. Pay rate is $13.00 an hour and will be on a temporary basis, up to 6 months in duration.

Requirements:
Must be bilingual and fluent in either Spanish, French, German or Japanese (written and verbal).
So what do you have to say about that?

We live in a country that is bordered by a Spanish speaking one, it would only make sense that you learn the second language that is most prevalent in your region/field. Spanish is generally promoted because it is the most common 1st language outside of English here in the US.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:16 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,578,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I'm not against learning another language, but the failure rate in the U.S public school system is too high to add on another requirement before fixing whats already broken.
No, I know. I'm not saying it should be required, I'm talking about some on here who keep saying english should remain as the language of america.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:19 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,742,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
I also think it should be required. Gym is required?? I'll take spanish over gym in the game of life anyday. Knowing a second language is only advantageous. What does it take from you? I'm not saying cut english short but I wish taking a second language was mandatory when I went to school. We're in an ever evolving country and if we don't change and evolve with it, we'll get left behind in it.
You think Gym is unimportant, physical fitness unimportant? For most kids these days, gym is the only time they get any sort of physical movement.

As for Spanish being required, absolutely not. I think it's totally screwed up how our country is now regarding this subject and I'll drag my feet as long as I can hoping things turn back the other way. In our high school, a foreign language is required but you have a choice between French, Spanish and one other that I can't remember. My daughter is taking Spanish because she thinks she will get more use out of it of course, which is unfortunately true.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:20 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,742,009 times
Quote:
No, I know. I'm not saying it should be required, I'm talking about some on here who keep saying english should remain as the language of america.
I guess I'm one of those people you are talking about because I, 100%, feel that English should remain the language of America.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:24 PM

844 posts, read 2,103,784 times
I was required to take a foreign language in high school. I did NOT chose Spanish... I chose something I *wanted* to learn, rather than tailor my life around lazy illegals who wear down our country.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:26 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,353,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
so your take away is that Americans are Ethnocentric and ignorant? Interesting.
Considering that this is the only thing you took out of my multiple paragraphs...yeah, thanks for proving my point.

American Ignorance and Ethnocentrism is internationally recognized! I work hard to combat this, through my posts here to telling my athletes about history and geography.

Our education system sucks because of low expectations and catering to the slowest and least intelligent kids. Why not try to progress and actually cater to the smarter kids? Plus, what do you have to say about the increased brain development?

It's a proven fact. (http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s720173.htm - broken link)
Quote:
late exposure to a second language, coupled with restricted input – such as in a classroom – may never allow a child full mastery in that language.
It has to begin early. It doesn't matter which language it is, but Americans are one of the most ignorant and ethnocentric people in the Western world.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:27 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,652,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
That's one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever seen.

By definition, bilingual means a person who speaks two languages fluently, it says nothing about which language.

I've seen plenty of advertisements for jobs that are looking for a Bilingual person and they did not mean Spanish.

Personal Assistant Bilingual (Russian – English) (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/etc/1226868975.html - broken link)

Online Gamers wanted! Multiple, bilingual positions available! (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/csr/1223316470.html - broken link)

So what do you have to say about that?

We live in a country that is bordered by a Spanish speaking one, it would only make sense that you learn the second language that is most prevalent in your region/field. Spanish is generally promoted because it is the most common 1st language outside of English here in the US.

I've been turned down by multiple jobs that said 'bi-lingual a must' and it turned out they meant Spanish/English only. If they specified it, that wouldn't be a problem... I KNOW the definition of bi-lingual. I could google Russian jobs that require French as a second language too. Pulling a few jobs from companies that specialize or work with people in other countries is hardly comparable to needing to know a language to simply get service at a grocery store.

We also border a country that speaks French, should I also be forced to speak French simply because of geography?

And regarding employment, I'm involved with aviation and the language required is English, regardless of where you reside or work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies