Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 05:17 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,616,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm a conservative. I monitor Obama's approval ratings from the Rasmussen polls daily as I believe you should stick with one pollmaker and compare up and down fluctuations and not just jump from pollmaker to pollmaker looking for the numbers you hope for.

Rasmussen subtracts strongly disapprove from strongly approve to come up with its daily score. The President has fluctuated between a plus 1 and a plus 11 since he's been in office. That means people like him, personally. He is not "falling apart" in the polls. One day he's a plus 1, the next day he's a plus 5 and the next day he might be a plus 8 or a plus 2. The point is, he's always a plus/falls within a range of plus numbers.

His programs, plans and/or policies have't fared as well. Those numbers go down. So, while I believe he has good personal approval numbers, his plans, policies, programs aren't faring as well...which is why I think 1) he's doing that ABC infomercial for his healthcare plan and 2) he tries real hard to get on TV a lot/get his picture in the newspaper. I know some people call it narcissism but if people like you better than what's coming out of your administration that impacts them, I just think you go with your strength. In his case, it appears to be personal appeal so his handlers make sure his face is out there even if it's something mundane or it seems like we see him too much.
You have to admit he inherited one gargantuan, once-in-a-century, mess from the Bush administration...

You have to admit that NO ONE could turn that mess around in 5 months - it will take several years to fix...

Most Americans are reasonable (unlike many of the rabid posters on this forum) and are willing to give his policies time to work... I am sure the country will give him his first term in office to fix the financial system and turn the economy around and create jobs. I believe they will give him at least that long to deal with the health-care situation that every Republican administration to date has ignored...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i agree 100% with that, but he has to do something about it! this is an unsustainable ratio! as job losses increase, there will be more demands on the government sector, (in terms of unemployment benefits, welfare, health care, etc.) and the government sector does not generate wealth so obviously this money is going to come from a greater debt load, which hurts both government workers and non-government workers in the pocketbook. we haven't even started paying for the debt we have now! wait until all the taxes kick in......
First of all, I'm not sure what he is supposed to "do" about it. Secondly, he's been in office five months. I'm not sure how he is supposed to have already done "something" about an issue that is probably 50 years in the making.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:33 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I know what obama has done and I have spelled it out many times, as have other people who like the obamab admin.
Actually you havent, but thanks for pretending that you have, it beats reading Sunday morning cartoons..
Quote:
I am pleased the combat troops will be pulled out of Iraq. I think it was 2010.
Originally he said 2009, now its 2010, and yet no one holds Obama to his pledges..
Quote:
I am hugely greatful for his diplomatic efforts.
Yeah, he's done wonders with countries like Iran and North Korea..
Quote:
I am vey happy his stance on stem cell research.
Yippee, something that took 2 minutes to change
Quote:
I am happy too, he is gettting health care on the books.
Then obviously you havent read the plan
Quote:
I can add to that list if I check the WH web site.
Exactly what I thought, you have to go read from Obama his list of accomplishments before you can actually list any. The fact that you cant list any without needing to go to Obamas websites for a list proves my point. Thanks and enjoy your Sunday morning cartoons..

Old 06-21-2009, 07:34 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Does fixing it include nationalizing everything, much like the Soviet Union did?
No, because if you paid attention you would know that that's not at all what they are doing. The government is helping companies get through this collapse so they can emerge stronger and independent on the other side.

The Obama administration has been extremely clear on this fact.

HUGE difference from the propaganda you are regurgitating.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
You have to admit he inherited one gargantuan, once-in-a-century, mess from the Bush administration
I always love reading statements like this because it shows those who dont have a darn clue about what caused the "mess" we're in..

Does anyone understand that the "mess" was caused in Switzerland, when a bank had to write down $2 Billion in bad real estate loans, causing banks in the USA (and world wide) who counted on overnight borrowing to fund day to day operations could not borrow money? VERY solvent banks couldnt fund their operating budgets and its a WORLD WIDE problem, not just here...

Old 06-21-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
No, because if you paid attention you would know that that's not at all what they are doing. The government is helping companies get through this collapse so they can emerge stronger and independent on the other side.

The Obama administration has been extremely clear on this fact.

HUGE difference from the propaganda you are regurgitating.
The Obama administration has been lying about a LOT of things.

If what Obama is saying was true, there would be NO stocks owned by the taxpayers, NO companies being controlled.. NONE, ZERO, ZIP.

These companies needed money to borrow from in order to operate because of a world wide economic borrowing problem. PERIOD.

Do you always buy the lies that Obama spits out? Really? Thats just sad..

Old 06-21-2009, 08:39 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Data Anywhere

Geez, look at that.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:56 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
First of all, I'm not sure what he is supposed to "do" about it. Secondly, he's been in office five months. I'm not sure how he is supposed to have already done "something" about an issue that is probably 50 years in the making.
he could have started by not voting for the bank bailout or the auto bailout. after all, he has been a senator since january 2005. he could try to influence the senate to audit the federal reserve. he could fire tim geithner and sever his wall street corporate ties. he could do something about the H1B visas. he could address the illegal immigration issue, other than supporting their citizenship and creating an even greater tax burden on working americans. he could certainly not be trying to pass a health care plan that would benefit these illegal immigrants at the expense of working american taxpayers until the illegal immigration issue is handled appropriately.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:57 AM

639 posts, read 1,142,364 times
Obama inherited an economy that was most definitely on the way down. Most Conservatives would agree with that. That downtrending economy can be attributed to GW Bush, a Democratic led Congress, and a Senate Banking Committee (led by Barney Frank and Christopher Dodd) that loosened regulation (that had already demanded that banks lend to persons who would not qualify for a piece of bubblegum at the threat of fines, penalties, and continued Government oversight). All of that being said, most Conservatives, yours truly included, now see the road that Barry is taking us and we fear it. We fear it because it has failed before. We fear it because EVERYTHING the government touches turns to shyte!! They screw it all up....look at Social Security....almost bankrupt. Look at Medicare and Medicaid, billion dollar monsters. Now we should trust Obama on the "Sedative" Plan, his tremendous budget, bursting the deficit, and "National Health Care". We should "TRUST" Barry on this when he has NO IDEA on how we will pay the BILLIONS it will cost to fund these insane programs!!! This plan has worked so well for California who has taxed the hell out of their tax base and caused them to flee to tax friendly states. They have given, given, and given more social programs and continued spending when they have no idea on how they were going to fund the programs...they are now on the verge of bankruptcy and disaster!!! I'm sure Obama is a "nice" guy but the reality is that he is WAY out of his league.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Geez, look at that.
The problem is that americans that voted for him had unrealistic expectations because they were lied to. I bet not 1% of the population has a fricken clue what even caused our recession, and many of them think its isolated to just "america". How many "blame Bush" postings have we seen here and when asked what Bush did to cause the recession, they cant name one darn thing. If you cant name what caused the recession, you cant possibly know how to get us out of it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies