Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
1 or more of the 3 18 21.95%
NONE of the 3 64 78.05%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:20 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times

Advertisements

I support, People Eating Tasty Animals !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 12:52 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,250,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I'm a vegan and animal rights activist. I don't belong to PETA. Most animal rights folks I know don't belong to PETA. Unfortunately, since most people know next to nothing about animal rights, and since most people get their information about it from the media, and since the media focuses only on PETA (because it's the most sensationalist organization), most people think that PETA is the leading animal rights organization. It's not.

Cool, so who is?

Old 06-21-2009, 01:00 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
I don't agree with PETA, their philosophy or their ways of 'getting things done'. Instead of spending all their money on getting celebrities to take nude photos, they should be out there actually getting things done. I don't mean setting up 'protests' and dumping red paint on fur wearers... I mean building shelters, donating money to animal rights causes, picking up strays and spaying/neutering, shutting down puppy mills (and not just to take video and pictures to post on their website). They spend their time shutting down 'medical labs' even though many of their members use products that are derived from animals (one of the VPs uses insulin for diabetes, but it's okay for her, but not for the public).

They're uninformed, hypocritical and only do things for publicity. Where is the nearest PETA animal shelter to your house??

Old 06-21-2009, 01:18 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Well?

Sometimes I agree with them, and sometimes I don't.

So I like the general concept on some issues (against factory farms for one), but don't support them because of some of their off-the-wall extreme actions.

Last edited by plannine; 06-21-2009 at 01:29 PM..

Old 06-21-2009, 01:32 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times
As stewards of the planet ... um ... I would think that we would do well to respect it's creatures.

I would prefer to see a PETP (people for the ethical treatment of people) though, as we humans have got a thing or two to learn about both ethics and respect.

I suppose PETA would be fine if it weren't so militant about things ... you know ... throwing red paint on a fur coat is a bit of a stretch ... PETA goes more in for pissing people off than it does with the education of those very same people.

Shock and Awe only works on the battlefield ... and once PETA understands this, they'll probably do much better at winning the hearts and minds of the typical American. ..

I didn't vote this poll incidently ... just so's you know.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:55 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,636,534 times
I consider myself an environmentalist and am for animal welfare. I like fishing and while I don't hunt, I don't have any objections over it to those that do. I also have no objections to people using animals for meat or scientific experiments, as long as the animals were treated humanely while they were alive and were killed as quickly and painlessly as possible.

So eating eggs from cage free or free range chickens that live their lives roaming around like chickens should is fine. Eating eggs from chickens who spend their entire lives 8 to a 4' x 4' x 2' cage and have to have their beaks chopped off to keep from pecking one another to death is not. If PETA were the type of organization that focused on actually improving the lives of animals, then their sensationalistic tactics might have an excuse. But they're not. As mentioned earlier in other posts, PETA kills animals surrendered to their care. They don't run any shelters, and don't pay for spay/neuter operations.

A lot of people give money to PETA because they think that PETA actually helps animals, when they don't. IMHO, PETA has one purpose, and that's to get more money for PETA. The animals are just a means to an end for them. The Humane Society of the United States is just as bad.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:02 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
They don't even believe that people should own pets, when their organization actually euthanizes several thousand animals a year ... they are a bunch of whackjobs.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:09 PM

18,390 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
They don't even believe that people should own pets, when their organization actually euthanizes several thousand animals a year ... they are a bunch of whackjobs.
I have a very hard time believing that peta thinks people shouldn't have pets? do you have a link?

Old 06-21-2009, 02:11 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,636,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I have a very hard time believing that peta thinks people shouldn't have pets? do you have a link?
Ask and you shall receive. This is a quote from PETA's own web site:

"We at PETA very much love the animal companions who share our homes, but we believe that it would have been in the animals' best interests if the institution of "pet keeping"—i.e., breeding animals to be kept and regarded as "pets"—never existed."

PETA >> Animal Rights Uncompromised: PETA on 'Pets'

Old 06-21-2009, 02:19 PM

18,390 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Ask and you shall receive. This is a quote from PETA's own web site:

"We at PETA very much love the animal companions who share our homes, but we believe that it would have been in the animals' best interests if the institution of "pet keeping"—i.e., breeding animals to be kept and regarded as "pets"—never existed."

PETA >> Animal Rights Uncompromised: PETA on 'Pets'
from the article...at the end... it says
Contrary to myth, PETA does not want to confiscate animals who are well cared for and "set them free." What we want is for the population of dogs and cats to be reduced through spaying and neutering and for people to adopt animals (preferably two so that they can keep each other company when their human companions aren't home) from pounds or shelters—never from pet shops or breeders—thereby reducing suffering in the world.

the article if you read past the radical way "some" of the statements were expressed says in other words...they are unhappy at what has become an industry for the "pet keeping" population. "The international pastime of domesticating animals has created an overpopulation crisis; as a result, millions of unwanted animals are destroyed every year as "surplus."
which is true every shelter and rescue group is over run with dogs, animals of all breeds. this is the reason we have puppy mills and back yard breeders.

again I think it may be more about their approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies