Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 07:09 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,800,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPOV View Post
Sorry if I offend but slavery was the "thing" during that time. The southerners were looking for as cheap a labor as possible and slavery was their answer to making hugh amounts of money without all the labor cost. The fact to the matter is that yes slavery happened and yes it ended (would not if white people did not help and died for helping).

With the topic at hand, whites will think they have nothing to do with it and should not apologize while some blacks feel that its good our government apologize, others can care less b/c the damage has been done.

To me, what is most important (apologize or not) is the fact that today, year 2009, we ALL know that slavery was wrong and that ALL will not let it happen ever again.

Reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 07:59 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,565,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesj View Post
What's the saying.. "If you can't handle the heat, then get out of the kitchen"?

If you can't handle the hardcore truth about the history of this country, then don't visit those sites. Period.
Kind of depends on whose truth, or even if it is the truth. If you can't grasp that concept, get out of the kitchen.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:42 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,901,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
And no one FORCED any of you personally to apologize, so I don't get why most of you are so upset.
Because even a suggested apology at this point and time is ludicrous. We have evolved as mankind since then, and I would hope we shouldn't have to take responsibility for something we think is absolutely horrible and would never partake in.

I had a great, great uncle who shot and killed another man in Washington D.C. many years ago. I just can't apologize for that because I had nothing to do with it.

If the ancestors of people from hundreds, even thousands of years ago owe apologizing for atrocities that have taken place in history, we would have a future of nothing but apologizing. So yes, I guess in a very insensitive way I am saying move on.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:00 AM

932 posts, read 1,678,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Because even a suggested apology at this point and time is ludicrous. We have evolved as mankind since then, and I would hope we shouldn't have to take responsibility for something we think is absolutely horrible and would never partake in.

I had a great, great uncle who shot and killed another man in Washington D.C. many years ago. I just can't apologize for that because I had nothing to do with it.

If the ancestors of people from hundreds, even thousands of years ago owe apologizing for atrocities that have taken place in history, we would have a future of nothing but apologizing. So yes, I guess in a very insensitive way I am saying move on.
I guess my point is that if it has nothing to do with you and you don't like the apology so be it.

The institution of the government apologized for letting it happen...not all white people in the US...so I still do not see the big deal here about why you are personally so upset. I guess in a insensitive way I am telling you to move on and let the people who care about it revel in the moment....it does not have to be you.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:20 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,962,984 times
Quote:
I guess my point is that if it has nothing to do with you and you don't like the apology so be it.

The institution of the government apologized for letting it happen...not all white people in the US...so I still do not see the big deal here about why you are personally so upset. I guess in a insensitive way I am telling you to move on and let the people who care about it revel in the moment....it does not have to be you.
Exactly! The Government are the ones apologizing, no one is asking anyone else to do the same, too bad some here just REFUSE to see that simple FACT.
Casper

Old 06-24-2009, 10:58 AM

185 posts, read 253,688 times
I have not read this complete thread but I will today.

I think if we are going to apologize to Europe for who knows what and apologize to the Middle East for who knows what, the VERY LEAST our government can do is to make a formal apology to all citizens on the issue of slavery.

Shelley

Old 06-24-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Sorry, I just wish our federal government would spend their time issues that are currently affecting us. (Which there are many) Is that too much for me to ask of them?

Fwiw, I am not mad about the apology. I do find pointless and insulting to blacks and whites alike, but it does not make me angry.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilers4me View Post
I have not read this complete thread but I will today.

I think if we are going to apologize to Europe for who knows what and apologize to the Middle East for who knows what, the VERY LEAST our government can do is to make a formal apology to all citizens on the issue of slavery.

Shelley
That's fine, and then I want a formal apology from our government for their "look the other way" economics that led to this busted economy. And, I would also request reparations to compensate for my generations inability to retire because the older morons destroyed social security.

Any of this sound absurd?

Old 06-24-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Exactly! The Government are the ones apologizing, no one is asking anyone else to do the same, too bad some here just REFUSE to see that simple FACT.
Casper
The only fact is that a bunch of crooked politicians are making a crooked apology on our tax dollar. I don't care how much it costs, it's still bull****.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:45 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,565,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Casper
Ever hear that the "government" is supposed to be:

Of the people, by the people and for the people.

In a fairly famous document, I believe. As one of the "people" I was not consulted, asked an opinion or even given notice until the "government" had already taken action. Can you say Big Brother State?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies