Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 01:55 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,035,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
omle I do know all about what is happening now in other countries. this thread was about slaves in the USA and an apology. IMO I see nothing wrong with a formal apology for slavery which was given. I feel badly for any people treated unjustly no matter where they live. just becuse it is in the past does not mean that they were not "real victims" or "pretend"

Of course the slaves were real victims. Slavery was and is evil.

A black 18 year old in 2009 America is not a victim of slavery.

If they are a victim of anything it is the liberals who treat them like they need special help and are not fit to compete.

I find that disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 02:01 PM

69 posts, read 63,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Why not start with your own when those lighter skin one disciminate against those of darker skin.
This I agree with. It must stop. I received my fair share of abuse growing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
It is best to put your energy there than on hating how whites did so much againt your great-great-grandparents you probably do not even know their names as many do not when I have asked them.
Well, you didn't ask me. However, I do know the names of some of my ancestors.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:08 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,548,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
The only fact is that a bunch of crooked politicians are making a crooked apology on our tax dollar. I don't care how much it costs, it's still bull****.
1. I would be more upset about crooked politicians arguing on the floor for 24 hours about a comment that another politician made (on our tax dollars)
2. I would be more upset about crooked politicians drafting 10 page proposals that does nothing to address numbers or resolutions (on our tax dollars)
3. I would be more upset about crooked politicians fillibustering because they can't get their way (on our tax dollars)
4. I would be more upset about crooked politicians shutting down Congress because they couldn't get their "pork" written into a bill. (on our tax dollars)

You feel this bill is bull, MANY do not...What I'm more upset about, is it has taken this long for it to be done. Well its done, its over, its hear. Move on.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:15 PM

727 posts, read 1,893,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
Of course the slaves were real victims. Slavery was and is evil.

A black 18 year old in 2009 America is not a victim of slavery.

If they are a victim of anything it is the liberals who treat them like they need special help and are not fit to compete.

I find that disgusting.
How do you figure? Schit rolls down hills and that 18 year old is still feeling the after shock of slavery. He goes in a store and he's followed around. He's driving a nice car he got from graduation and police assume guilt cause he's driving in a better car than them. Slavery is alive and well.......it may not be physical slavery anymore but it does exist!

Old 06-24-2009, 02:26 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,903,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
1. I would be more upset about crooked politicians arguing on the floor for 24 hours about a comment that another politician made (on our tax dollars)
2. I would be more upset about crooked politicians drafting 10 page proposals that does nothing to address numbers or resolutions (on our tax dollars)
3. I would be more upset about crooked politicians fillibustering because they can't get their way (on our tax dollars)
4. I would be more upset about crooked politicians shutting down Congress because they couldn't get their "pork" written into a bill. (on our tax dollars)

You feel this bill is bull, MANY do not...What I'm more upset about, is it has taken this long for it to be done. Well its done, its over, its hear. Move on.
We could go on and on pointing out our governments bull****. I was just citing yet another example.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:28 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,903,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
How do you figure? Schit rolls down hills and that 18 year old is still feeling the after shock of slavery. He goes in a store and he's followed around. He's driving a nice car he got from graduation and police assume guilt cause he's driving in a better car than them. Slavery is alive and well.......it may not be physical slavery anymore but it does exist!
That has nothing to do with slavery. That has to do with growing up in a generation of thieves. They follow young white kids around stores just as much. trust me.

Everything else you said isn't worth addressing.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:28 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,294,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
Unless he is geared up in gangsta-wear he isn't being followed or suspected of anything.

If anything that 18 year old is feeling the shock of MTV and not recognizing that clothes make the man.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:49 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,212,781 times
A lot of this complaining about reparations may have been avoided if the OP had included "Jim Crow laws" in the post, since the words being used were:

"acknowledges the fundamental injustice, cruelty, brutality, and inhumanity of slavery and Jim Crow laws"

and thus makes this formal apology not just about slavery, but also about the Jim Crow laws. Those certainly did not happen so long ago that everyone involved is now dead, and these laws were the actions which destroyed the black community, not slavery.

Has everyone conveniently forgotten about Reconstruction? Has everyone forgotten about the amount of blacks in state legislatures and Congress during that period? If the Jim Crow laws were never passed, the black community would no doubt be in a better situation than it is today. Plus, all this complaining about and entertaining the idea of reparations would have faded away.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:16 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,971,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Ever hear that the "government" is supposed to be:

Of the people, by the people and for the people.

In a fairly famous document, I believe. As one of the "people" I was not consulted, asked an opinion or even given notice until the "government" had already taken action. Can you say Big Brother State?
We the People voted them in and they are our Reps in Washingtoon. There is no requirement for them consult us on every issue they are supposed to reflect our (the People) opinions, most Americans have no issue with the government saying they are sorry for our governments past actions. Don't like their actions vote them out.
Casper

Old 06-24-2009, 03:18 PM

10,040 posts, read 9,529,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
I guess my point is that if it has nothing to do with you and you don't like the apology so be it.

The institution of the government apologized for letting it happen...not all white people in the US...so I still do not see the big deal here about why you are personally so upset. I guess in a insensitive way I am telling you to move on and let the people who care about it revel in the moment....it does not have to be you.
The economy sucks, we are at war and this is what MY government is spending their time doing?

When the unemployment is at zero, there is no war and crime is non-existent then we can talk about giving our elected officials things like this to do to keep themselves occupied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies