Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 03:57 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,648,053 times

Advertisements

I hope Obama signs it. From my understanding the only people who get their panties in a wad about gays in the military are not in the military.

As far as the rep vs dems issue. Well, its no secret that the rep party has been overrun with the christian fundementalists and sadly it just makes sense that reps are not going to want to rock that voting boat by signing on to repeal dodt.

Now I do have to wonder what the dem excuse is? That party is suppesdly not being driven by any type of religous right -- so what gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 03:58 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,576,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
It sounded like a simple matter of fact-stating to me.
I don't think you know the posting history of that poster quite yet or you'd rephrase this.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:02 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,695,683 times
I just emailed my Congresswoman (Mary Bono Mack) to ask why she didn't sign the letter. If I get a response, I'll post it here.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:10 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,117,900 times
I'm starting to wonder just what is the POINT of having the president and the majority of house and senate be democratic if we STILL can't get universal health care, we STILL can not repeal DADT, we STILL can not revise NAFTA to be fair to working Americans....because the republicans won't like it. When the republicans were the majority did you see any of them not pursuing their stated goals because the democrats wouldn't like it? I'm starting to be suspicious that it is placating the lobbyist that is more important to both sides than pleasing the people who sent them there.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:11 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,797,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I just emailed my Congresswoman (Mary Bono Mack) to ask why she didn't sign the letter. If I get a response, I'll post it here.
Why not call her?

I called mine the other day to get them to support a bill that would end the taxation of health care benefits for same-sex couples.

Is it sad that my representatives numbers are programmed into my phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I hope Obama signs it. From my understanding the only people who get their panties in a wad about gays in the military are not in the military.

As far as the rep vs dems issue. Well, its no secret that the rep party has been overrun with the christian fundementalists and sadly it just makes sense that reps are not going to want to rock that voting boat by signing on to repeal dodt.

Now I do have to wonder what the dem excuse is? That party is suppesdly not being driven by any type of religous right -- so what gives?
The dems are pretty spineless and they think the more they appear "religious" that it will gain them Religious Right votes or people who are religious will vote for them. Of course many on the Religious Right can't even get past the abortion issue or the fact that a lot of Democrats believe in treating gays and lesbians equally.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Why not call her?
It was just easier to email her. I think I've only contacted a politician directly one time before this. It was by phone, and all I got was a recording that said, "Press 1 if you support xyz, press 2..."

Old 06-23-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I'm starting to wonder just what is the POINT of having the president and the majority of house and senate be democratic if we STILL can't get universal health care, we STILL can not repeal DADT, we STILL can not revise NAFTA to be fair to working Americans....because the republicans won't like it. When the republicans were the majority did you see any of them not pursuing their stated goals because the democrats wouldn't like it? I'm starting to be suspicious that it is placating the lobbyist that is more important to both sides than pleasing the people who sent them there.
You should already know this.
FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Special Interest Money Means Longer Odds for Public Option

I hope the people wise up this next election cycle and vote out some of these people who are so against a public option that so many Americans want. I certainly won't forget it when I go to the voting booth.

The key is to elect people who will actually do what they say they are going to do.
You also need to put pressure on your representatives. CALL them and make your voice heard. Anyone can write an email. Most of the time you're going to get an automated response and some letter they send out to everyone else.

Chris Dodd sent out a letter to a constituent recently about civil unions in CT. Anyone who isn't living under a rock knows that CT recently passed marriage equality for same-sex couples.

A more grassroots effort in your area to awaken people to how their "representative" isn't listening can definitely help. Your representative will be back in their home state on the Fourth of July recess....use it to your advantage. Stage a protest at their office with other like minded people to pressure them to grow a spine and do the right thing.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
It was just easier to email her. I think I've only contacted a politician directly one time before this. It was by phone, and all I got was a recording that said, "Press 1 if you support xyz, press 2..."

Interesting, to say the least.

Whenever I call I get a staffer that says, "Mark Pyror's/Blanche Lincoln's/Vic Snyder's/ office" and I tell them what I want the Senator to support or oppose. They ask me for either my name, zipcode or my address....and there ya go.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Interesting, to say the least.

Whenever I call I get a staffer that says, "Mark Pyror's/Blanche Lincoln's/Vic Snyder's/ office" and I tell them what I want the Senator to support or oppose. They ask me for either my name, zipcode or my address....and there ya go.
I think things may be very different in Arkansas. Try calling Schwarzenegger and see how up close and personal you can get. And I just read about someone trying to call Dianne Feinstein's office and being unable to even leave a message for her.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I think things may be very different in Arkansas. Try calling Schwarzenegger and see how up close and personal you can get. And I just read about someone trying to call Dianne Feinstein's office and being unable to even leave a message for her.
I was calling my representatives in Congress.
As far as state representatives go, it's MUCH easier to email them than call them.
We are also given their home address so...if you want to write a letter, they will surely get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies