Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:57 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times

Advertisements

When conservatives talk about Reagan the way we christians talk about Jesus, you know something's wrong. It's almost like a cult.

What would Jesus Do
What would Reagan Do?

Weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 04:57 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
When Reagan ran for president I remember laughing with some friends and saying; "Can you imagine that anyone would vote for a movie actor for president?" Sure he had been elected governor in CA but folks in California were always doing something strange. When he was elected....and then re-elected I thought the country had lost their collective minds. I didn't then....and still don't today....understand what in the world anyone saw in the guy.
I kind of thought it was funny when he first ran against Ford in the primary but as a President Reagan was probably one of the most effective. I didn't agree with him on anything he did- very little of it anyway- but he was dealing with a Democratic Congress and Senate and still managed to get what he wanted out of them. Carter was a Democrat and could not get anything out of his own Congress.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:04 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Notice the quotes, it wasn't me that said it but a guy I met on the course yesterday. He's a lifelong R (he said and I believe him) who went into shock during the Republican primaries last year and is only now coming out of it. Claimed that he decided to investigate 3rd party candidates the day that McCain picke Palin for VP but ended up holding his nose and voting for McCain. But didn't donate a dollar or help at the local R offices.

Like me he's old enough to remember when Reagan came in and hates what the "Reagan legacy project" has been up to since its inception. I actually thought that all Rs were fans and supporters of it, but he claims he isn't. For those of you who don't know what it is it's basically a project dreamt up by (can't recall the guy's name) the d'bag that is always running around saying he wants to shrink government and then drown it in a bathtub, with help from the usual suspects; Frank Luntz, Daneesh D'sousa etc.

Their (supposed) goal is to get something, anything renamed to honor Reagan in every county and city in the country. Their real goal is to rewrite history and turn everyone's opinion to "Reagan was the greatest P who ever lived", by distorting his record. This one seems to be working much better because there's only a couple of thousand building, bridges, sewage plants and other stuff with Reagan's name, but there are millions of loyalists who listen every time Hannity and others spout the crap that "Reagan won the cold war, he created more jobs with his tax cuts, he shrank government, blah, blah blah.

It was great listening to a thinking Republican instead of reading the same old, same old coming from the righties on here. Great guy, bit of a sandbagger though, he won $5 off of me.

golfgod
But it is ok for the Obama worship to continue though?! Yeah, gotta love the liberals. Freedom of speech is ok if you say what they want to hear and the same goes for this thread. Hate Reagan but worship Obama.

I think that Reagan made many mistakes but I don't hate him like the liberals do. I can see that Obama is making mistake after mistake but I certainly don't worship him like you and your liberal buddies do.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
When conservatives talk about Reagan the way we christians talk about Jesus, you know something's wrong. It's almost like a cult.

What would Jesus Do
What would Reagan Do?

Weird.
Put the word Obama in place of Reagan and you will see what the liberals do. Hypocritical much? LOLOLOLOL Liberals can't even think on their own, have to use old standby hate rhetoric.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:08 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally posted by anonymous political junkie
Put the word Obama in place of Reagan and you will see what the liberals do. Hypocritical much? LOLOLOLOL Liberals can't even think on their own, have to use old standby hate rhetoric.
Why are you asking me about hypocrisy? I actually didn't think Reagan was a bad guy, but it's not like he's Jesus.

Question for the older folks here: Did the Democrats worship FDR in the same way? Like in the 70s when they weren't doing well, were they always hearking back to FDR, about the "good old days?"

Old 06-24-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Why are you asking me about hypocrisy? I actually didn't think Reagan was a bad guy, but it's not like he's Jesus.

Question for the older folks here: Did the Democrats worship FDR in the same way? Like in the 70s when they weren't doing well, were they always hearking back to FDR, about the "good old days?"
Obama is not the messiah either but liberals sure do act like it.

To answer your question about FDR...YES. All one has to do is to listen to them now and you get that answer. They have been bringing FDR up all of the time in regards to Obama. Try again litle one.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Back to post #5 - The evil people "brittanyfox" talks about were mostly Jews but she doesn’t have the courage to make her complaints clear.

Regan simply arranged a system where he and his wealthy colleagues would lend their money to the government instead of paying their fair share in taxes. His goal was to destroy a progressive income tax system and it was accomplished. With out a steeply progressive tax the lower middle class winds up paying the rich to use their money to wage foreign wars for the benefit of the military and oil oligopolies.

IMHO the Regan legacy is institutionalizing the GREAT RIPOFF of the American people.

Last edited by GregW; 06-24-2009 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-24-2009, 05:36 AM

909 posts, read 1,063,262 times
Quote:
Notice the quotes, it wasn't me that said it but a guy I met on the course yesterday. He's a lifelong R (he said and I believe him) who went into shock during the Republican primaries last year and is only now coming out of it. Claimed that he decided to investigate 3rd party candidates the day that McCain picke Palin for VP but ended up holding his nose and voting for McCain. But didn't donate a dollar or help at the local R offices.

Like me he's old enough to remember when Reagan came in and hates what the "Reagan legacy project" has been up to since its inception. I actually thought that all Rs were fans and supporters of it, but he claims he isn't. For those of you who don't know what it is it's basically a project dreamt up by (can't recall the guy's name) the d'bag that is always running around saying he wants to shrink government and then drown it in a bathtub, with help from the usual suspects; Frank Luntz, Daneesh D'sousa etc.

Their (supposed) goal is to get something, anything renamed to honor Reagan in every county and city in the country. Their real goal is to rewrite history and turn everyone's opinion to "Reagan was the greatest P who ever lived", by distorting his record. This one seems to be working much better because there's only a couple of thousand building, bridges, sewage plants and other stuff with Reagan's name, but there are millions of loyalists who listen every time Hannity and others spout the crap that "Reagan won the cold war, he created more jobs with his tax cuts, he shrank government, blah, blah blah.

It was great listening to a thinking Republican instead of reading the same old, same old coming from the righties on here. Great guy, bit of a sandbagger though, he won $5 off of me.

golfgod

reagan was one of the WORST presidents ever. His eight years of vetoing a min. wage increase when it was a a paltry 3.35/hr, his veto of the clean water act, his support of apatheid in So. Africa - even called Nelson Mandela a terrorist...reagan was almost as bad as nixon and bush-2.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:37 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:

golfgod
We have, we now worship the God of Hope and Change.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:21 AM

551 posts, read 855,964 times
I'm not a big believer in polls, but if you do consider them, Reagan was listed very high in polls when asked "Who Was the Greatest President?"

#5 of 14 by ABC, #9 of 20 by Rasmussen, #2 of 16 by Washington College Poll, #2 of 16 by Gallup.

When asked "Who Was the Worst President", Reagan was rated #8 of 12. George W was rated the worst BTW, no surprise there.

This was from a wikipedia article, but references the above institutions:
Historical rankings of United States Presidents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I should also mention the polls are a bit dated, ABC was from 2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies