Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:30 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
I'm all for my taxes being raised if it means that my family can actually afford to get healthcare. The way I see it, the plan Obama is proposing is better than the plan my wife and I are currently on.

There's only so much that aspirin can do.
So why should I pay for you? You have a plan now but want someone else to pay to provide you with a better plan

So I'm suppose to work and provide for myself but also you and your wife?

How is that fair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 01:37 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
I'm all for my taxes being raised if it means that my family can actually afford to get healthcare. The way I see it, the plan Obama is proposing is better than the plan my wife and I are currently on.
So other people should subsidize your healthcare?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:42 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
So why should I pay for you? You have a plan now but want someone else to pay to provide you with a better plan

How is that fair
YOu act as if my wife and I don't work, and we get a free ride off of everything.

We don't. We're a lower middle class family, and we make enough to provide our daughter with insurance, but with my wife and I both having extensive pre-existing conditions, we simply cannot afford healthcare. And we make too much for government assistance on healthcare.

The government providing a cheap alternative only makes sense. We're the only (modern) nation that doesn't provide some sort of "public" healthcare, and healthcare costs are the highest in the US. The government isn't forcing people to take this plan, but for some, like my wife and I, it's the only plan we could possibly afford at this stage in our lives.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:43 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
We should be able to provide for everyone. Not just my wife and I specifically, but I do personally believe that we should pay higher taxes in order to provide a better quality of life for the citizens of the country in general.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:46 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Do those who are critical of Obama's healthcare reform have any ideas? Or do you think that everything is fine the way it is and does not need any change?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:48 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post

How is that fair
How are you providing for others? Everyone would pay for this plan, not just you.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:48 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Be honest. How about a recommendation? What do you think should be done with those who can't afford healthcare? I think I can accurately guess.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
All health care--even yours--would be "subsidized."

Old 06-25-2009, 01:52 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
YOu act as if my wife and I don't work, and we get a free ride off of everything.

We don't. We're a lower middle class family, and we make enough to provide our daughter with insurance, but with my wife and I both having extensive pre-existing conditions, we simply cannot afford healthcare. And we make too much for government assistance on healthcare.

The government providing a cheap alternative only makes sense. We're the only (modern) nation that doesn't provide some sort of "public" healthcare, and healthcare costs are the highest in the US. The government isn't forcing people to take this plan, but for some, like my wife and I, it's the only plan we could possibly afford at this stage in our lives.
Interesting perspective and i'm glad you contributed to this discussion. From what you know thus far, will government insurance for those with pre-existing conditions be the same cost as anyone else? There are thousands, if not millions, of Americans that are in your same position. While unfortunate, it seems that it is this very "human ill" that will overburden the system. Like everyone else, I would love for everyone to have health insurance, but it seems that we as a country have to draw the line somewhere. It has been stated time and again that death is cheaper. Where do we draw the line, or do we continue to subsidize every ailment known to man in the name of providing health care for everyone, at the expense of everyone? There are no easy answers, but it seems this revolving door of entitlements (all of them) will eventually spin this country into bankruptcy.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Be honest. How about a recommendation? What do you think should be done with those who can't afford healthcare? I think I can accurately guess.
Recommendations require ideas. The Republicans don't have any.

The reason that some people can't afford health care--according to these "Christian" folks--is that they're lazy. Or they simply chose the wrong profession in life. For example, if you're a garbage collector or elementary school teacher who can't afford health care for your family, that's your fault for "choosing" to be poor. Never mind that society needs garbage collectors and elementary school teachers. This is the "Reagan mentality"--also known as social darwinism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies