Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The legalization of marijuana
Yes, legalize it completely...with regulations similar to beer and tobacco 118 74.21%
Decriminalize it 17 10.69%
No, leave it 9 5.66%
Make punishments harsher 15 9.43%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:17 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
No one who drives under the influance of any substance is a good driver..it is wreckless. Also, I think that employers should be allowed to do drug tests...but Marijuana should not be on that test...But, if your dumb enough to smoke right before a job interview then you are stupid. Would you Drink before an interview?

That being said...if someone is injured on the job or the manager has reason to beleive that the associate is high while on the clock then the business should be allowed to test for drugs and Alcohol.

Some people who use Marijuana are just plain stupid...they are not that bright when they are sober either. Same goes for alcohol as well...Some people are stupid no matter how much they have to drink or if they are sober.

When I was younger I could not stand the smell of beer...Now, I love it...but not in an alcoholic manner. I have maybe three of four beers(not everyday) and call it quits. I am not saying that I dont drink heavily on occasion. I takes quite a bit of Beer to get me buzzed. I still dont drive...If i have one beer I am staying put for atleast an hour or two after i drink it.

Same goes for my marijuana use...I am not stupid when it comes to that...I know it effects the mind and I am not dumb enough to drive. Anyone who does...deserves to hit a tree.
For habitual smokers, marijuana can be picked up by a drug test for 30-45 days after your last use. For the occasional smoker, it could be 24 hours, to a week or more depending on how 'occasional' you are. I work in the aviation industry. I DO NOT want people working on planes that smoke weed, even just occasionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 11:32 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,354,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
For habitual smokers, marijuana can be picked up by a drug test for 30-45 days after your last use. For the occasional smoker, it could be 24 hours, to a week or more depending on how 'occasional' you are. I work in the aviation industry. I DO NOT want people working on planes that smoke weed, even just occasionally.
In that respect I agree...I think that a pilot should have to not only be in great state of mind but the picture of a healthy person...if your sick in any way...no flying till it passes..I dont want my pilot to even have a runny nose.

same goes for law enforcement and military.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:33 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,704,916 times
They should make the punishment harsher because Marijuana extremly damages your brain. Also, when the people does not have money to buy Marijuana they commence to steal money from other people.... However they will never do that. It's all a conspiracy.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
They should make the punishment harsher because Marijuana extremly damages your brain.
There is no proof to that.

Quote:
Also, when the people does not have money to buy Marijuana they commence to steal money from other people.... However they will never do that. It's all a conspiracy.
People steal when they want to buy tobacco and alcohol..heck people where stealing most recently for gas money...making it legal would allow any moron to grow it and not need to buy it.

I think that if the penalties for Marijuana are to remain or get harsher then so should other substances...such as Tobacco, Alcohol, caffeine, some prescription drugs.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:52 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,328,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
I think it should be decriminalized. If I were a pot smoker, I wouldn't want the government to regulate or commercialize weed. Have them fine you $30 if you are caught with it and send you on your way.

See: organic food vs. heavily processed, chemically infused food.
I could really agree that this would be the best of both worlds. However I feel that government pandering to those making money on it's prohibition will want some of the action. Meaning government intervention and inevitably, taxation in the long run. I could even see some genetic alterations to limit its potency...

I feel a $30 fine for growing and smoking would be fine, so long as the "consumer" can control what's in it.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:49 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,612,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I could even see some genetic alterations to limit its potency...
Exactly...

Decriminalize it but keep its regulation, manufacture and sale out of gov't hands...

Old 06-26-2009, 12:22 PM

857 posts, read 1,423,631 times
Quote:
I DO NOT want people working on planes that smoke weed, even just occasionally.
And I bet you don't want them drinking on the job either, should we outlaw alcohol??

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Progressive" Liberal View Post
Driving high is the big one, it creates another potential driving hazard to pedestrians and drivers.
Driving high makes you a better driver. You are more paranoid and cautious, driving high is nothing like driving drunk... not that I'd know from personal experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
I think it should be decriminalized. If I were a pot smoker, I wouldn't want the government to regulate or commercialize weed. Have them fine you $30 if you are caught with it and send you on your way.

See: organic food vs. heavily processed, chemically infused food.
Legalize it and let the tobacco industry switch to wacky tobacky. And those who want it more pure could grow it themselves or have specialty brands just like tobacco does today.

The big difference I see is that most people fear that its going to become a hippie fest with people smoking everywhere and that will never happen. Weed would be regulated like alcohol, there would be laws against using it in public and fines for public intoxication and all the rest. But if someone wants to go home and smoke with friends then I see no reason to stop them, its no different then going home and drinking.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:26 PM

797 posts, read 3,581,768 times
Hell yes legalize it! There is no difference in going home at the end of the day and having a glass of wine or beer than it is to have a nice bonghit or 2.

I know I can't wait to get off in 2 hours. I have a fat sack of some HEADDIE Blueberry bud that I cannot wait to put in my 2 foot glass Jerome Baker. My wife is already home starting the weekend early, I can't wait to get home and enjoy it too!

Old 06-26-2009, 03:12 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
And I bet you don't want them drinking on the job either, should we outlaw alcohol??

Driving high makes you a better driver. You are more paranoid and cautious, driving high is nothing like driving drunk... not that I'd know from personal experience
If you read my post, I said that I believe it SHOULD be legalized... I just think that if an industry or particular job doesn't want people who do certain things (like smoke weed) they shouldn't have to hire them, and should continue to require drug tests.

And I completely disagree with your last sentence. Smoking weed slows down your reaction time. I've driven with people who were high (I'm not proud of it by any means) and they were fine when sober, TERRIBLE when high. I also have two friends who were in car accidents (and subsequently arrested for possession) due solely to the way they drove when high.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
And I completely disagree with your last sentence. Smoking weed slows down your reaction time. I've driven with people who were high (I'm not proud of it by any means) and they were fine when sober, TERRIBLE when high. I also have two friends who were in car accidents (and subsequently arrested for possession) due solely to the way they drove when high.
I have to agree. Driving under the influence of anything is wrong. whether it be marijuana, alcohol, or even high doses of caffeine. If it possibly impairs your judgment or reaction time...you should not drive.

But I see nothing wrong with chillin at home smoking a few joints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies