Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 10:02 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You are trolling. There is a difference between taking the life of another and allowing nature to take the life of another. Learn it.
Allowing nature to take the life of someone -- will that apply only to people over 50? Because it may seem futile to provide some surgical procedure to someone over a certain age, but the young also die. What's futile? Keeping some 6 year old alive who is likely going to die? Keeping HIV patients alive when there is no cure?

Letting nature run it's course could also mean no one should get health care. A 30 year old with HIV who comes down with MRSA may have a shorter natural lifespan than a 70 year old who needs a tumor removed and will go on for another 25 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 10:09 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,288,069 times
[quote=Alaskapat528;9492629][quote=cdne;9492400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

What you are forgetting here is: Folks get a terminal illness, take cancer for example and it bankrupts them if they survive. You say you lived frugally and planned. Well, have you noticed how many have lost their jobs; companies folding and moving out of the U.S.? Have you noticed the foreclosed homes and no, not all are due to "not planning" but due to people losing their jobs or having a battle with illness. You come off with a "holier then thou" type attitude. Illness and job loss can strike anyone at anytime so it's not wise to look down your nose at others.

Yes, "planning" is good but in today's world people are having it really rough; when there's no money to pay rent, groceries, medical visits, etc.....how do you expect them to plan?
What you don't realize is that this current economic situation is only the last in a SERIES of recession since the late 1960s, and that in most of those economic times people lost their jobs, lost money in the stock market, and lost their homes. Hard times are not something new to 2009.

Feel free to criticize what you perceive as a "holier than thou" attitude, and while you are at it, feel free to debunk it. Life is not always fair, and people do suffer some bad situations, but if you are honest, most of their problems are of their own making. Government's job is to provide the foundation for the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS, not GUARANTEE HAPPINESS. everyone.

There are programs that address many of the items you list, and this administration is working at breakneck speed to solve EVERY problem that our society suffers,....healthcare, housing, transportation, food, etc., etc..... There is even plans for free cell phones, airtime, and service at taxpayer expense.

What more of a nanny-state could you want?

Old 06-27-2009, 10:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times
[quote=cdne;9492962][quote=Alaskapat528;9492629]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post

What you don't realize is that this current economic situation is only the last in a SERIES of recession since the late 1960s, and that in most of those economic times people lost their jobs, lost money in the stock market, and lost their homes. Hard times are not something new to 2009.

Feel free to criticize what you perceive as a "holier than thou" attitude, and while you are at it, feel free to debunk it. Life is not always fair, and people do suffer some bad situations, but if you are honest, most of their problems are of their own making. Government's job is to provide the foundation for the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS, not GUARANTEE HAPPINESS. everyone.

There are programs that address many of the items you list, and this administration is working at breakneck speed to solve EVERY problem that our society suffers,....healthcare, housing, transportation, food, etc., etc..... There is even plans for free cell phones, airtime, and service at taxpayer expense.

What more of a nanny-state could you want?

Don't forget the $4,500 for new cars.

Obama is going the exact way I figured he would. He's going to provide free health care for the simple health needs that are actually affordable. It will be the expensive catestrophic care that is actually the problem.

Anyone who can afford a baby in the first place should be working and have health insurance or they should delay starting a family -- but Obama will want to reward them for foolish choices like having many kids when they will need the government to even feed their kids. It'll be free health care for routine physician visits, which are actually affordable right now.

Not all of us get sick, we don't all get some rare condition -- those are what most of us fear. If I want to see a doctor and didn't have insurance, that I could do on my own.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:17 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,230,174 times
Alaskapat528
I totally understand that the 'world' is now unlike any time that you may have lived through before as well as our health industry is extremely different...blosted beyond belief.
But most elderly people now lived through such times before.

Newtoli
"My Grandmother and Grandfather planned for retirement, were SUPER fit and healthy (she was a nutritionist), had a nice nest egg, and was driven to utter bankruptcy after my Grandfather had a stroke and had to be put into a nursing home. She then got colon cancer. Watch how fast a nursing home will bankrupt you before you sit in your ivory tower and look down on others. "

When my mom entered a nursing home, the proceeds from her house and any savings had to be used until gone.
She looked at it this way......that's what all that was for ....taking care of herself as long as possible.
No ivory tower here.....since mom 'used up' my inheritence on herself, not even a wood one

Old 06-27-2009, 10:31 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,529,373 times
I have a patient who is Christian fundamentalist. Each time I see him in the office, 60% of the visit is spent by him trying to convert me to his religion. His health has been failing for years (partly because he won't quit smoking), has end stage renal failure, peripheral vascular disease (about to lose a leg), congestive heart failure....and he's 80 years old. Despite he's avowed faith in his religion (he is a strict creationist), he wants everything done to prolong his life. He wants renal dialysis, and is talking about getting a kidney and heart transplant.

Being a nice person, I listen to this man's rants without arguing. But this man is a typical example of a Christian fundamentalist fanatic - a Bible literalist who claims to have absolute faith in God, yet wants science to rescue him from death and allow him to spend more time in this earthly life where he already has spent 80 years of it (exceeding the life expectancy of 90% of human beings) - instead of happily preparing for the next stage, which is to meet his supposed maker.

Last edited by ndfmnlf; 06-27-2009 at 10:41 AM..

Old 06-27-2009, 10:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
[quote=old_cold;9492694][quote=Alaskapat528;9492629]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post

Don't mix apples and oranges.
Katiana has been talking about health care for the elderly.
The elderly are already on Medicare and usually retired so no lose of job to be concerned with.
She does seem to denigrate the value and need ....and preference ( for some of us) of planning to take care of onesself in the older years.
The post you quoted is not mine. Please be more careful, and edit your posts when you screw up.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:48 AM

639 posts, read 1,143,709 times
Obama wants to control EVERYTHING!! Why shouldn't he decide who lives and who dies?? Get ready for National Health Care as this insane administration rams down the boobs in this country's throats Cap and Trade (Tax, Tax, Tax), Sedative Plan, Government Motors, National Health Care, and now even an Immigration Reform Plan (Legalize the Illegals so that "The Annointed One" can get re-elected). This country is DOOMED the only question is when will the majority of the people wake up and figure it out.

4,183 posts, read 6,529,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Then tell us why the enormous waste of money on Teddy Kennedy's health care?

How do you know Kennedy is not paying for it in cash? Besides, at this stage, his cancer can't be considered terminal, hence any treatment he receives can't be considered futile.

1,224 posts, read 1,288,069 times
I don't know what's up with the software, but I posted a reply to Alaskapat and it quoted a Katinai piece.

If I may, I'd like to address Alaskpat's claim regarding my "holier than thous", and "looking down my nose" accusations. It seems that when one posts anything about Americans taking responisibility for their personal decisions, it always ends up in liberal/conservative namecalling slugfest. By no means do I claim to have all the answers to everyones' problems, including the provision for healthcare in the final years of life. I DO however have some historical insight simply because of my age, and consequently see things in a different light than many.

I know that I am in the latter years of my life and what I see disturbs me greatly. I see Americans gravitating more and more toward using our federal government as a "safety net" to solve a myriad of problems that in the past were considered "personal problems". When one has a "safety net", then the decision-making process becomes much easier, less failure oriented, and less important. After all, if one fails to live within ones means, fails to make the sacrifice necessary to have an emergency nest egg, and puts all the eggs in one economic basket,...there's always the government to step in and save the day. To me, that is a problem.

It amazes me that Americans are so willing to let federal government take over such a large portion of our daily lives. It amazes me that Americans so quick and willing to abandon the economic principles that raised this nation so far above all the rest. I cringe as I watch our government take major ownership interests in private businesses and financial institutions. It bothers me to see the "spread the wealth" attitude of our leaders, and their policies that make citizens more dependent, not less dependent, on our government. It is sad that our government is becoming a "hand-out instead of a hand-up" institution.

If this attitude about life is disturbing to the liberals, then IMO they are part of the problem, not a part of the solution. If my opinions are thought-provoking to ONE person, then they have not been for naught. My intent is not to project a "holier than thou" attitude, but simply to highlight the fact that if one constantly looks to the federal government to solve everyday problems, just be ready to sacrifice freedoms to do so.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:51 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,678,074 times
And what happens, cdne, if you end up in a situation like my Grandparents ended up in? They planned as well, lived a healthy lifestyle, did everything right, and were wiped out within a little over a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies