Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:34 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post

They celebrated with fireworks - Iraqi style:

Car bomb kills at least 24 people in Iraqi city - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090630/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iraq - broken link)
GASP! You mean that utopian democracy that Hero Bush set up isn't actually real? Oh Noes!

Hmmm, I wonder how many car bombs went off regularly before we invaded their country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 10:40 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
For all those pointing out that it was President Bush who signed the Reduction in Forces Agreement -- you're absolutely right. For those who are reconstructing history to paint him as some kind of hero of the world for doing so -- how soon you forget (or maybe never acknowledged) the facts. Politics, Politics, Politics.

George W. Bush was steadfastly against any such agreement. But both the political climate (which he and his party needed to try to embrace), as well as the Iraqi government insisted on date-certain withdrawals.

Dick Cheney and his puppet president are the exact opposite of heroes, they're war criminals.

As for "holding President Obama's feet to the fire" to enact a bunch of progressive policies by steamrolling over moderate Democrats and Republicans, sorry, but that's never what most of us expected of him, nor would I say it's the right way to effect the kind of change we want. I donated money (a lot), fundraised even more, campaigned door-to-door, phone banked, rallied and stood on my street corner waving signs over my head, because I firmly believed (and still do) that Barack Obama was the better of the 2 candidates to get Congress to work together. I diligently researched and studied his legislative history, and was struck by how many Republicans loved working with him, and how often he was able to join forces with some of the top Republicans in the Senate to enact sweeping legislation (Dick Lugar (http://lugar.senate.gov/press/record.cfm?id=278019 - broken link), Tom Coburn, Chuck Hagel, etc.). Personally, I'm looking forward to things calming the f down so we can start getting some reasonable cooperation, which I fully expect will require some compromise on the Democrats' part.
This is astonishing. Now it is not enough that a politician does the right thing, his motivation has to acceptable to Jill!

You are kidding right, arms were twisted to the point of breaking to get cap and trade. And he is threatening doing an end run around the filibuster to get health care.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/25/us.../25budget.html

Can you spell steamroll? Take your blinders off, Obama is nothing but a Chicago machine politician.

Yes this sweeping legislation you describe is fiction. He spent the majority of his time in the Senate running for President.

Last edited by shorebaby; 06-30-2009 at 10:49 AM..

Old 06-30-2009, 10:51 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I was specific. Shinseki was the only Army Chief of Staff that Rumsfeld fired. Chief of Staff is a military position and there is only one of them at any given time. You posted a link to an Army Secretary that Rumsfeld also fired. That's a civilian position. There is a big difference between the two. You should learn something about the military chain of command before you accuse others of not being specific.

As for your very general statement that some civilian contractors in Iraq have been successful, I'm still waiting for you to name one. But I think we both know that you can't...
AM General had the contract for Hummers for a long time and is very successful. General Electric has the contract for all of the military's mobile communications... we all know GE is successful.

All of these are "civilian contractors".

Old 06-30-2009, 11:07 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
For all those pointing out that it was President Bush who signed the Reduction in Forces Agreement -- you're absolutely right. For those who are reconstructing history to paint him as some kind of hero of the world for doing so -- how soon you forget (or maybe never acknowledged) the facts. Politics, Politics, Politics.

George W. Bush was steadfastly against any such agreement. But both the political climate (which he and his party needed to try to embrace), as well as the Iraqi government insisted on date-certain withdrawals.

Dick Cheney and his puppet president are the exact opposite of heroes, they're war criminals.

As for "holding President Obama's feet to the fire" to enact a bunch of progressive policies by steamrolling over moderate Democrats and Republicans, sorry, but that's never what most of us expected of him, nor would I say it's the right way to effect the kind of change we want. I donated money (a lot), fundraised even more, campaigned door-to-door, phone banked, rallied and stood on my street corner waving signs over my head, because I firmly believed (and still do) that Barack Obama was the better of the 2 candidates to get Congress to work together. I diligently researched and studied his legislative history, and was struck by how many Republicans loved working with him, and how often he was able to join forces with some of the top Republicans in the Senate to enact sweeping legislation (Dick Lugar (http://lugar.senate.gov/press/record.cfm?id=278019 - broken link), Tom Coburn, Chuck Hagel, etc.). Personally, I'm looking forward to things calming the f down so we can start getting some reasonable cooperation, which I fully expect will require some compromise on the Democrats' part.
Bush opposed set timetables on strategic grounds. Al Malaki insisted on a fixed timetable for U.S. withdrawal for internal political reasons. Time will tell who was right. But I think the celebrations--by the Iraqis and yourself--are premature. Whether the Iraqi security forces can hold the cities remains to be seen.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Bush opposed set timetables on strategic grounds. Al Malaki insisted on a fixed timetable for U.S. withdrawal for internal political reasons. Time will tell who was right. But I think the celebrations--by the Iraqis and yourself--are premature. Whether the Iraqi security forces can hold the cities remains to be seen.
Indeed it does, however, they are their cities and it is their responsibility to defend them - not ours.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:17 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
AM General had the contract for Hummers for a long time and is very successful. General Electric has the contract for all of the military's mobile communications... we all know GE is successful.

All of these are "civilian contractors".
Hummers are general light utility vehicles that were completely unsuitable for the war in Iraq. Because of their lack of armor, hundreds for troops died from road side bombs. Our soldiers refer to them as "mobile coffins." But the fact that they are death traps doesn't stop AM General from selling them more Hummers does it?

GE also sells that same equipment to Iran, which turns around and supplies it to insurgents that kill Americans. In fact, one of the most common types of switches used for detonating road side bombs is a GE RF switch #1602. It's so popular that the military has been testing new technologies to try to be able to defeat it. GE happily sells them to Iran by the thousands. I guess it's anything for a profit right?

Old 06-30-2009, 12:04 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
it is not exactly time to celebrate. we still have 130,000 troops in iraq which means we are pulling out 10,000 according to this march article troop level:Iraq troop withdrawal -- What next for US troops in Iraq?
in the meantime, we are increasing our troop surge by 21,000 into afghanistan.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...liban-pakistan

i don't see that as pulling away from the war machine or protecting our soldiers.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:01 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
No GOP's celebrating because BUSH WAS RIGHT AND FREED ITS PEOPLE!!

This is liberals worst nightmare because it proved all of you were WRONG on the war.

Nice try though. Your spin just got sunk.
Now you are saying that Bush freed Iraq? I see you're trying to have it both ways again. That never works. It just makes you look a little foolish.

GWB was called out for starting this war based on deceit and personal revenge. You said that GWB had nothing to do with sending the troops to invade Iraq? (which was a stupid thing to say) You said it was "liberal congress" that sent the troops.

So I guess Iraqis should be thanking our "liberal congress".

Old 07-01-2009, 06:39 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
this is what i voted for.
For Obama to follow the plan Bush left? Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:01 AM

37,213 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot05 View Post
I am happy about them taking over Baghdad... but come on... praising Obama for promises. He keeps pushing the date back... currently troops will be out by the end of 2011... quite far from his original promise.

Not to mention all the other promises... gay rights, openness, having a smart VP
We'll be out before the 2012 election, but not so long before that everyone will have forgotten about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies