Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 02:20 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
If the OP would have stated they had given up on both parties, it might fit with a rational concerning the problems we face today, but for one to embrace that of the left with all that is apparent is either more political trickery, or simply that of a blind idiot seeking praise.
Call me names in every one of your posts. It doesn't bother me in the least. You know for all of the debating I did with liberal posters here, I don't think any one of them ever resorted to that. If anything, I did to them what you're doing to me now. Maybe someday you'll also realize that it doesn't accomplish anything, and it doesn't make you or your party look good at all. Or you can keep doing it if it makes you happy... Your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 02:23 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You attack my mistype shows you to be undereducated. Those who are educated realize that quibbling over spelling and bits of grammar when it does no detract from the context of the point is simply using a fallacy to escape having to answer to the discussion.
No, I did it because you called me ignorant and uneducated. Most people would have just reported the posts and they would be gone. That's not my style. But if you're gonna call people ignorant and uneducated, you'd better check your own work, or you will be called out for it.

Quote:
You were never conservative, you were liberal, yet like many stupid conservatives who falsely represent the ideal, you didn't realize it.
OK, so I'm stupid too. We'll add that to the list. No wonder people don't want to be part of what you're doing anymore. Your loss.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:29 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post

How very courteous, Old Son! It was your suggestion that led me to ask admin if I could switch monikers; they were gracious enough to allow that.
Thanks so much for the suggestion; I may still be a major Saluki fan, but
Evenstar feels much more comfortable as a moniker. No doubt some posters
saw the name and mistook me for a 19 year-old guy...that idea was a little
disconcerting, as I'm female and have celebrated my 19th birthday a few
times. Glad to see that you're participating here, and that your wife still hasn't booted you out! Hope you're doing well...have a great 4th! Best, Even
Ok, we can be decent once again but I won't probably be that way long. I took these words from a post by you few minutes ago and wanted to ask if you failed to see the very same thing during the Bush days from the other side. putting out ads comparing President Obama to Hitler Did I just imagine I saw things like that?

Hey you were alive when the Dems nominated McGovern, maybe not political but alive, excuse me for exposing you, so you can explain to some of the people how a less than wildly liberal Dem could change parties when the Dems left him. I just couldn't stay with a man who stood right there on national TV and promised to push for a $5600 annual wage for everybody. It isn't much in these multi-trillion days but it was in 1972 for people who didn't even work to get the money. I couldn't go that man and the Dems have never nominated one I could go since then.

Let me leave you with a laugh. In 1968 I thought that the funniest slogan of the year was "Bump the Hump" because I just couldn't support a loser and he was one of those.

I hope you in southern Illinois have a great July 4th, also. I am going to a Tea Party, how about you?

Old 07-02-2009, 02:48 PM

382 posts, read 1,227,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
You cared enough to respond. You aren't gaining any new members, so you really should worry about your own party. We're halfway through 2009 and you don't even have a decent name to run in 2012. I'll ask you what I asked someone else who admitted they had no answer. Who is the future of the GOP? Anyone?

I wonder how many Democrats had heard of Obama four years ago, or maybe even two or three years ago. Who had heard of Jindal three years ago? Palin?

I remember now why I stay out of this forum - too much partisan bickering. Obama was a nobody two years ago, and now he is President. I found a poll from 2006 with the most likely Democratic candidates for the 2008 election and Obama was not on the list. Hillary, Edwards, the usual suspects.

If you are happy with your decision to switch parties, that should be good enough for you.

As for the earlier comment about the number of Democrats added versus Republicans lost, I would bet most of the lost are due to death, and most of the gained are due to immigrants and illegals. I don't think there is a major switch under way when Time magazine just reported that more Americans now identify themselves as conservative.

I am happy to be independent!! I vote for the best candidate regardleess of party.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:58 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post
I wonder how many Democrats had heard of Obama four years ago, or maybe even two or three years ago. Who had heard of Jindal three years ago? Palin?

I remember now why I stay out of this forum - too much partisan bickering. Obama was a nobody two years ago, and now he is President. I found a poll from 2006 with the most likely Democratic candidates for the 2008 election and Obama was not on the list. Hillary, Edwards, the usual suspects.

If you are happy with your decision to switch parties, that should be good enough for you.

As for the earlier comment about the number of Democrats added versus Republicans lost, I would bet most of the lost are due to death, and most of the gained are due to immigrants and illegals. I don't think there is a major switch under way when Time magazine just reported that more Americans now identify themselves as conservative.

I am happy to be independent!! I vote for the best candidate regardleess of party.

Was "regardleess" a typo, or was that a joke? 'Cause it was funny.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:04 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Ok, we can be decent once again but I won't probably be that way long. I took these words from a post by you few minutes ago and wanted to ask if you failed to see the very same thing during the Bush days from the other side. putting out ads comparing President Obama to Hitler Did I just imagine I saw things like that?

Hey you were alive when the Dems nominated McGovern, maybe not political but alive, excuse me for exposing you, so you can explain to some of the people how a less than wildly liberal Dem could change parties when the Dems left him. I just couldn't stay with a man who stood right there on national TV and promised to push for a $5600 annual wage for everybody. It isn't much in these multi-trillion days but it was in 1972 for people who didn't even work to get the money. I couldn't go that man and the Dems have never nominated one I could go since then.

Let me leave you with a laugh. In 1968 I thought that the funniest slogan of the year was "Bump the Hump" because I just couldn't support a loser and he was one of those.

I hope you in southern Illinois have a great July 4th, also. I am going to a Tea Party, how about you?
Old Son, things would be out of kilter in the universe if you remained "decent" for very long! I honestly don't remember seeing any actual ads on t.v. comparing Dubya to Hitler, but his policies did make many wonder if the government hadn't moved so far to the right that individual
freedoms might be endangered. Can't help much...I voted for Shirley Chisholm in the primaries! My favorite from '72 was "Nixon was the one in '68; he'll be a bigger one in '72." I still have the coffee mug it's on.
Nope, the only tea bags I'll be around on the 4th will be involved in making sweet tea! We have a tradition of setting off fireworks in our back field.
Friends and family come...even some Republicans! It's great to watch the little ones react.
We might get along better if you wouldn't steal our basketball coaches!

Old 07-02-2009, 03:06 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post

I wonder how many Democrats had heard of Obama four years ago, or maybe even two or three years ago.
A lot. He was the keynote speaker at the 2004 Democratic Convention, which was watched by 18 million people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWynt87PaJ0

Old 07-02-2009, 03:07 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Call me names in every one of your posts. It doesn't bother me in the least. You know for all of the debating I did with liberal posters here, I don't think any one of them ever resorted to that. If anything, I did to them what you're doing to me now. Maybe someday you'll also realize that it doesn't accomplish anything, and it doesn't make you or your party look good at all. Or you can keep doing it if it makes you happy... Your choice.
You didn't debate, you merely mimicked their same form of attacks. It is only natural that you move in with that method of thinking. I have read your posts, your position is fake in them or confused of its own meaning.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:08 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,278 times
Quote:
I'll bet there aren't too many people who will start a thread like this one.

Anyway, I decided to stay away from this forum (I did post on some C-D sports forums) over the last couple of months.

I decided to take a long, hard look at the things that I was posting as well as the other things that were being posted on here.

And I was wrong about a lot of things. I tried to cling to something that I thought was right, because it is hard to admit you have been wrong. I posted things in frustration that I now know I shouldn't have, and my time away from here has been quite refreshing for me. My comments on a lot of the issues here were out of line. But change is in the air, and I can change too.

And today, I became a Democrat. It's the best thing I have ever done. I like some of the progress I am seeing right now. It's not going to happen overnight, but good things are happening, and changes did need to be made. The Republican party was too busy treading water to make the changes that needed to be made for our country to be great again. I cannot and will not support that.

I have always said on this forum that in spite of everything I do respect President Obama. I was willing to give him that much when others who didn't vote for him would not. I'm glad I did. I like what he is doing, and I hope he keeps up the good work.

And to those who will respond and tell me that the Republican party doesn't need me, I offer a very firm "Yes they do. But they won't have me again, at least not for now."

I didn't give up on the GOP. The GOP gave up on us. I am happily moving on.
I take this as a ruse.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:09 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
No, I did it because you called me ignorant and uneducated. Most people would have just reported the posts and they would be gone. That's not my style. But if you're gonna call people ignorant and uneducated, you'd better check your own work, or you will be called out for it.

OK, so I'm stupid too. We'll add that to the list. No wonder people don't want to be part of what you're doing anymore. Your loss.
Your posts on the content you have previously posted in speaks for itself. You can be angry and upset, but that would be typical of liberal thinking as it is centered around emotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies