Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:28 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,531,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Just to play devil's advocate one could argue that the reason the 'gay' factor was not mentioned was not because of it being a pet issue but because of the history of the media marginalizing the partners and spouses of gay people.

Don't get me wrong, I can see what you are saying but there is a lot of history that gives points to the other possibility being equally valid. The most recent, and perhaps flagrant, thing that comes to mind is the 9/11 Penn flight where one of the main people to put up a fight was a gay man. Yet almost nowhere in the discussion of him in the news was that mentioned - some news agencies barely mentioned him at all. He wasn't mentioned even when you had other interviews with the surviving spouses of others who had been involved. The media didn't touch it. There were no interviews with his partner. Instead they did interviews with his parents but again made no mention of him being gay or the man that had just lost his spouse. They only discussed them losing their son.

That incident is not an isolated one either. Because it is not, I cannot honestly say which I believe is the answer: They didn't mention it because it is a pet cause or they didn't do so because they have a history of not mentioning such things? I'm not sure anyone can answer which is the truth but I suspect your (general your) opinion about gays will strongly influence which you (again general you) decide is the truth.
I am glad someone brought up that the passenger...that stopped the one plane(going for the White House or Pentagon) on 9/11 WAS GAY.....he should have been awarded the highest honor our country can bestow on a civilian. The Gay Rugby leagues named their winners trophy for him and his mother often speaks at events. It was never mentioned he was GAY...because that would just "ruin our image", for the hate mongers and all the stereotypes. So America thanx the Gays for stopping what could have been an even more horrific day....I wonder if the history books will ever mention this? Or will some people SCREAM...do NOT teach my children about those homosexuals... I could be wrong but I think there were other Rugby players with him, and they also let women...straight men...whoever....play the game with them...just have to like to play the game as a prerequisite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 11:44 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,771,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
That's fine, but bring it up when it is relevant. The only reason anyone wants to bring up his sexuality is because they think it will further their "no children in gay homes" agenda. Bad news involving gay people should be broadcast, but not in such a way as to cause an attack on all gay people. And that is exactly what this sort of story is designed to generate. It isn't about protecting or getting justice for the child, it is about making a big issue over the fact that this gay man has children. The normal procedures should be followed, but the fact that he is gay shouldn't be a big factor. The man is simply a monster, and this would be true wether he was gay or str8. If this was a story about a man hurting or raping another man thought to be his lover, then his sexuality would play a huge role in the validity of the case. But in this circumstance, his sexuality has no bearing on the case. He raped that child because he was a pedophile, not because he was gay.
the medias job is to report the facts, not spin the news how they see fit.

They should just report the facts.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:12 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,091,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I am glad someone brought up that the passenger...that stopped the one plane(going for the White House or Pentagon) on 9/11 WAS GAY.....he should have been awarded the highest honor our country can bestow on a civilian. The Gay Rugby leagues named their winners trophy for him and his mother often speaks at events. It was never mentioned he was GAY...because that would just "ruin our image", for the hate mongers and all the stereotypes. So America thanx the Gays for stopping what could have been an even more horrific day....I wonder if the history books will ever mention this? Or will some people SCREAM...do NOT teach my children about those homosexuals... I could be wrong but I think there were other Rugby players with him, and they also let women...straight men...whoever....play the game with them...just have to like to play the game as a prerequisite.

If they mentioned he was gay would that comply with the "stay out of my bedroom" squeal we always hear from gays?

Old 07-03-2009, 03:34 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,134,029 times
am so tired of a person's sexual orientation being the center of ALL things newswworthy----imho--that is a personal preference so can the "gay"vacation spots,heroes,newscasters,celebrities,clothing,etc be eliminated as topics ?----what's next--best 'gay' food,car performances,music,art--so on---getting to be ridiculous--my best friend has been in a same sex relationship for a long time but it does NOT nor ever has dominated our conversation!

Last edited by returningtonepa???; 07-03-2009 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: finished a thought

Old 07-03-2009, 05:16 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
am so tired of a person's sexual orientation being the center of ALL things newswworthy----imho--that is a personal preference
Sexual orientation plays a big role in our lives. It's not simply a personal preference. It determines who we're allowed to marry, the types of relationships we have, the types of jobs we take, and if we're in the military, it determines whether or not we're allowed to talk about our spouses and significant others.

There's also studies that show differences between the brains of gay men and women and their heterosexual counterparts. This leads to differences in our skills and capabilities.

If you're tired of the gay topics, you can easily skip them. Commenting on them keeps them alive.

Sexual orientation is just one component of who we are as people, but it's an important one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies