Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
It's not whether it's true that makes it ludicrous.
Um, yeah, whatever it takes to back peddle on your previous posting..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 09:02 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Um, yeah, whatever it takes to back peddle on your previous posting..
Im not backpedaling. Of course if people have "jobs" they're "working." Try to see what makes the quote not only insane but inane, if you can.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Im not backpedaling. Of course if people have "jobs" they're "working." Try to see what makes the quote not only insane but inane, if you can.
Shall we look at the quote again?
Quote:
"Literally, if we took away the minimum wage—if conceivably it was gone—we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level."

Draft Michele Bachmann: Michele for Governor of Minnesota!
The quote does not say if people had jobs there would be no unemployment, it says if we took away the minimum wage..

Keep trying to spin your posting to pretend the quote says something it doesnt so you dont come off looking like a fool, its histerical.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:39 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
That's what I mean....I live on the opposite end, Washington county...all our concerns/issues/demographics/socio-economics just can't be the same. I feel that if the counties in that district shifted north (Chisago) and lost Stearns and Wright we could never have had the horrible experience of Bachmann. I could be wrong but I haven't met one person in my area who likes Bachmann....we can't figure out how she got elected .
County of Stearns, Minnesota - November 4th General Election Results (http://www.co.stearns.mn.us/ElectionReporting/2008General/racecandidates.asp?id=1&contestid=0106 - broken link)
I was wrong. I thought fur sure the Catholic vote of Stearns County sent that woman to Washington. Can't blame us I guess....

Stearns County Results Only
U.S. Representative DISTRICT 6

BOB ANDERSON IND 6567 9%
EL TINKLENBERG DFL 33467 48%
MICHELE BACHMANN R 30048 43%
WRITE-IN 134 0%
View Results By Precinct

Old 07-03-2009, 09:51 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Do let's.

Quote:
The quote does not say if people had jobs there would be no unemployment, it says if we took away the minimum wage..
"Wipe out unemployment" means "there would be no unemployment". In order for there to be no unemployment people have to fill the available jobs. Therefore the quote does indeed "say" "if people had jobs there would be no unemployment."

"If we took away the minimum wage" means minimum wage-level workers would work three and four below-min-wage jobs to make ends meet, thus filling all the open min wage-level jobs.

You defend this, why?

Quote:
Keep trying to spin your posting to pretend the quote says something it doesnt so you dont come off looking like a fool, its histerical.
I cant believe you dont see what's so obviously crazy about that quote. Let me help you out. It's like Cinderella's sister cutting off her toes to fit her big fat foot into the glass slipper. It's approaching the problem from the diametrically wrong direction. The goal for Frau B is to end statistical unemployment, not to be sure workers are on a positive path toward success in life.

Last edited by delusianne; 07-03-2009 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: just had to add that apostrophe...

Old 07-03-2009, 09:57 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
County of Stearns, Minnesota - November 4th General Election Results (http://www.co.stearns.mn.us/ElectionReporting/2008General/racecandidates.asp?id=1&contestid=0106 - broken link)
I was wrong. I thought fur sure the Catholic vote of Stearns County sent that woman to Washington. Can't blame us I guess....

Stearns County Results Only
U.S. Representative DISTRICT 6

BOB ANDERSON IND 6567 9%
EL TINKLENBERG DFL 33467 48%
MICHELE BACHMANN R 30048 43%
WRITE-IN 134 0%
View Results By Precinct
You can stay...all is forgiven

Old 07-03-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
"Wipe out unemployment" means "there would be no unemployment". In order for there to be no unemployment people have to fill the available jobs.
Wrong, in order for there to be no unemployment, jobs would need to be created, which takes place when wages are lower
Quote:
"If we took away the minimum wage" means minimum wage-level workers would work three and four below-min-wage jobs to make ends meet, thus filling all the open min wage-level jobs.
Not at all what it means, but you not understanding math isnt surprising. If you took away the minimum wage, I would hire people to do meanial tasks, thereby decreasing unemployment and increasing demand for employment. It also would lower the cost of living to allow people to "make ends meet".. You pretend that people arent working 3-4 jobs now AT minimum wage to make ends meet
Quote:
You defend this.
Yes, I defend increasing employment, thereby decreasing the need for taxes and "welfare" etc..Your defense of unemployed individuals and welfare programs for those in society who arent worth "minimumn wage" isnt suprising but it is sad..
Quote:
I cant believe you dont see what's so obviously crazy about that quote. Let me help you out. It's like Cinderella's sister cutting off her toes to fit her big foot into the glass slipper.
Bachmann did not say that was positive, she claimed a fact, you remove minimum wage, you decrease unemployment FACT. Decrease minimum wage, decrease the cost of living FACT. Decrease minimum wage and the povery level is lowered, thereby decreasing overall costs and the need to work MORE for less.. FACT, but hey, you keep working your minimum wage job and be happy that standards exist and those who arent worth minimum wage has welfare to rely upon..

Old 07-03-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Ya know, Bachmann didn't say exactly, "let's resurrect Joe McCarthy and go on another life destroying witch hunt for those we suspect/might/could possibly be anti-American which we will decide on."

but she did.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Ya know, Bachmann didn't say exactly, "let's resurrect Joe McCarthy and go on another life destroying witch hunt for those we suspect/might/could possibly be anti-American which we will decide on."

but she did.
BS posting of the day...

Old 07-03-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
BS posting of the day...
Appearing on MSNBC’s Hardball today, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) attacked the patriotism of Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL), based on his alleged relationship to former Weather Underground member William Ayers and the values of Obama’s former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright. “I’m very concerned that he may have anti-American views,” said Bachmann. “That’s what the American people are concerned about.”
She then went further, suggesting that all liberal views — held by people such as Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, professors, and all Americans who identify themselves as “liberals” — are “anti-American.” When host Chris Matthews, stunned by her remarks, asked Bachmann how many people in Congress hold anti-American views, she responded, “You’ll have to ask them.”
Bachmann called on the media to conduct investigations into the anti-American activities of members of Congress, similar to
Sen. Joseph McCarthy’s discredited House Un-American Activities Committee hearings in the 1950s. “I think people would love to see an exposé like that,” she claimed. """""""""
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies