Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:30 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
We can solve the deficit problem easily enough by just cutting our military spending in half. We would still be spending more than any other nation on Earth for national defense, but if we cut it in half we can easily afford to rebuild our own country's infrastructure and dig ourselves out of debt at the same time.

As it stands now, we spend nearly the same amount as the rest of the world combined! Maybe it's time we start letting France and Germany pay for their own national defense! I'm getting a little tired of paying high taxes so that we can maintain a standing Army in Europe 60 years after WWII, while at the same time the French spend almost nothing on national defense, but can afford to give all their schoolkids laptops.

World Military Spending — Global Issues
The military budget according to the site you posted is 650 billion.
If we did what you suggested and cut it i half that would be 325 billion.
1) the deficit is 1.8 trillion. Yet you claim 325 billion will solve the deficit issue that number does not solve the deficit issue. So the claim cutting the military budget in half solves the deficit issue is just false
2)You turn around and say we should spend the money on infrastructure. How is spending the money you saved on military reduce the federal deficit at all.

I guess you would have to think left wing thoughts to understand how cutting the military in half while spending it on infrastructure reduces the deficit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 08:41 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
The military budget according to the site you posted is 650 billion.
If we did what you suggested and cut it i half that would be 325 billion.
1) the deficit is 1.8 trillion. Yet you claim 325 billion will solve the deficit issue that number does not solve the deficit issue. So the claim cutting the military budget in half solves the deficit issue is just false
2)You turn around and say we should spend the money on infrastructure. How is spending the money you saved on military reduce the federal deficit at all.

I guess you would have to think left wing thoughts to understand how cutting the military in half while spending it on infrastructure reduces the deficit.
By investing that money into our infrastructure, education system, science and technology, we will spur economic growth that will catapult our economy into the 21st century. We could lead the world technologically and economically. Spending the money on bombs is just throwing it away.

Do you realize that right now the US is about 20 years behind Japan and Europe in terms of infrastrucutre and technology? When we want to train GIS experts, we send them to Japan. When we want to train bioscientists, we send them to Japan or South Korea. When we want to train physicists, we send the to Europe.

If we don't stop spending all of our money on the military and start investing in other areas, we won't be a world power for very much longer...

Old 07-05-2009, 11:39 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
We can solve the deficit problem easily enough by just cutting our military spending in half. We would still be spending more than any other nation on Earth for national defense, but if we cut it in half we can easily afford to rebuild our own country's infrastructure and dig ourselves out of debt at the same time.

As it stands now, we spend nearly the same amount as the rest of the world combined! Maybe it's time we start letting France and Germany pay for their own national defense! I'm getting a little tired of paying high taxes so that we can maintain a standing Army in Europe 60 years after WWII, while at the same time the French spend almost nothing on national defense, but can afford to give all their schoolkids laptops.

World Military Spending — Global Issues

Why stop at half? What not scrap defense all together?

Old 07-05-2009, 11:53 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And here's half a peace sign for you and those like you. "Give peace a chance" didn't work during the 60s and 70s (my war). It didn't work under Carter and the hostage crisis. It won't work with Al Quaida or the Taliban any more than it has worked with Hezbolla, the PLO or any one of hundreds of radical, terrorist groups throughout the world.

It really must be nice to live in a comfortable pink bubble wafting here-and-there but most unfortunately, we live in a dangerous world in dangerous times.
What you don't understand is that your belief in "a dangerous world in dangerous times" CREATES exactly that. Your belief literally creates your world. It's a choice, not a response. Every effort is being made to disempower us from that decision. I know better.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:01 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
What you don't understand is that your belief in "a dangerous world in dangerous times" CREATES exactly that. Your belief literally creates your world. It's a choice, not a response. Every effort is being made to disempower us from that decision. I know better.
I believe beer will make me thin. It's not working.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Would that it was true but to believe that is to have your head in the sand or some other place it doesn't really belong.

I've been a soldier. I am a soldier. I will always be a soldier and as Gen. Douglas McArthur said in a speech at West Point in the 60s, "On the contrary, the soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. ..."

It's not my imagination. It's observation and strategic and tactical experience. I trust those far more than I would some fluffy, feel good lack of awareness and reality.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:07 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
We need to spend more on our military.

Come on, with the world in a position for WWIII you want to cut our military?

I hope you are joking right or are you knowing that Obama has wasted away trillions of dollars and you would seriously want to put America in jeopardy to cover Obamas butt?

End welfare, force every healthy America to get a job and pay their share of taxes and stop Obama from spending money on things that do not work and we will be fine.

43% of you do not pay into our tax base, time to make every single American over 18 years old to PAY their fair share.

Cut Military spending, you are really kidding right?

Do you even know what the heck is going on in the world at all?

Old 07-05-2009, 12:08 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
Which is higher today than fifty years ago as a percent of GDP - defense spending or entitlement program spending? I say we cut the programs that are really costing us the most.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
By investing that money into our infrastructure, education system, science and technology, we will spur economic growth that will catapult our economy into the 21st century. We could lead the world technologically and economically. Spending the money on bombs is just throwing it away.
Just curious - what happens to all the people employed in the defense industry in your proposed scenario? Did you factor them into the equation?

Old 07-05-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
43% of you do not pay into our tax base, time to make every single American over 18 years old to PAY their fair share.
I'd be happy if they paid a dollar. One single dollar. End refundable tax credits now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies