Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will Ditz's resignation affect the Republican Party?
It will help the party 25 18.66%
It will hurt the party 29 21.64%
It will neither help nor hurt the party 80 59.70%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:23 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Mmmmm well my friend do the laws of physics work differently in Spain, or perhaps the laws of gravity? It has been a while since I have been there but I didn't notice things floating around. The economics of cap and tax work the same in Spain as they would work here.

For anyone who is interested, here is the reality.

Job Losses From Obama Green Stimulus Foreseen in Spanish Study - Bloomberg.com

Old 07-14-2009, 10:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Mmmmm well my friend do the laws of physics work differently in Spain, or perhaps the laws of gravity? It has been a while since I have been there but I didn't notice things floating around. The economics of cap and tax work the same in Spain as they would work here.

For anyone who is interested, here is the reality.

Job Losses From Obama Green Stimulus Foreseen in Spanish Study - Bloomberg.com
Cap and Trade would work exactly the same in Spain as in the US if there was 100% parity between the two nations. Since there isn't, it stands to reason that there will be differences between the effects of the programs in the two separate nations.

The laws of physics and gravity work the same in both countries because on atomic levels, the molecules in Spain and the US do have 100% parity.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:27 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,117,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I totally understand; it's as though somebody's home but the lights aren't on; as though she's playing a role. IMO she's superficial to begin with, and the act only makes her appear to be even more so. There is a book and a series of YouTube videos by a gentleman named David Ickes; there is a segment of the population that believes we've been interbred with a reptilian race, and that most world leaders come from that ancestral line. She does look vaguely like a frilled lizard.

David Icke Website - Home
I'm somewhat familiar with him. I haven't read his books, but I have read excerpts. I have to admit that some of what I read does seem very plausible. I have yet to come across a better explanation of the weird and distorted mindset of some of these posters. Although, there are psychologists that have done studies about this type of behavior and the fact that people are willing to follow sociopaths. Jim Jones, Charles manson, etc. Here's an older, but amusing article...

Why Liberals Are Smarter than Conservatives
Why Liberals Are Smarter than Conservatives | | AlterNet

Old 07-14-2009, 10:28 AM

3,813 posts, read 4,913,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Hey she went to 4 or 5 colleges.
I don't consider that a 'bragging' point. She attended 4 or 5 colleges before she finally got a bachelor's degree. The people I know that went to more than one college actually got their degree from one and went on for advanced degrees at other colleges.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:29 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Cap and Trade would work exactly the same in Spain as in the US if there was 100% parity between the two nations. Since there isn't, it stands to reason that there will be differences between the effects of the programs in the two separate nations.

The laws of physics and gravity work the same in both countries because on atomic levels, the molecules in Spain and the US do have 100% parity.

Well there is parity between the cap and tax programs and there effects would be the same. Because one country takes month long vacations in August and the other doesn't wouldn't affect cap an tax.

I think it is also important to note that our dear leader has included increased unemployment benefits in cap and tax because they recognize there will be job loss.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Partisan bullying is in both parties. To suggest one, or the other, has a patent on it is just ridiculous. In the simplest of terms...You want left "bashing"? Go to Fox. You want right "bashing"? Go to MSNBC.

I've said it many times before, this partisan crap is wasted energy.
I agree. I also think it would be impossible to determine which "side" 'started it'. Criticizing political wives goes back to forever. Mary Todd Lincoln certainly came in for her share of it, probably even Martha Washington. It certainly didn't start with some criticism of Cindy McCain.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:32 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,536 times
My personal favorite line from Palin's post in the Washington Post.

"In addition to immediately increasing unemployment in the energy sector, even more American jobs will be threatened by the rising cost of doing business under the cap-and-tax plan. For example, the cost of farming will certainly increase, driving down farm incomes while driving up grocery prices. The costs of manufacturing, warehousing and transportation will also increase." - Sarah Palin

Now, before i get into why this is grossly mis-leading, while also being correct, I'll ask all can we seriously stop attacking the person personally and stick to attacking their views?? (BTW I'm a libertarian, so i could care less about her personally either way)

Sarah Palin, highlights the increase in cost, but leaves out the many subsidies, the farming industry enjoys due to government price floors, that have significantly raised cost on the average American, for more than 30 years. This is dishonest politics at its best. If her intention was to argue for a reduction in consumer prices, Mrs. Palin, should have touched on the gross misuse of American Farming Subsidies.

I agree with her point on energy caps, because high energy prices will make the price of consumer goods increase as businesses pass on the cost to consumers, but the fact of the matter remains, the cost of these prices were already higher than they should have been due to government intervention. A fact, Mrs.Palin is well aware of, but conveniently choose to leave out of her op-ed.

If you want to reduce price and this would go to the Obama administration as well, please eliminate Farm Subsidies and price floors. We consistently produce an oversupply of most farming goods, which we end up dumping on foreign markets, distorting the price signals for food. This is an issue for another day, so i will not go into detail about it. Conclusion is Sarah is right, but is wrong, and is simply playing politics in this op-ed. This is not helpful or conducive to the genera public and leaves us with nothing more thant he usual poltiical hackery that runs rampant in this country.

Yay

Last edited by dorock99; 07-14-2009 at 10:41 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 10:35 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
My personal favorite line from Palin's post in the Washington Post.

"In addition to immediately increasing unemployment in the energy sector, even more American jobs will be threatened by the rising cost of doing business under the cap-and-tax plan. For example, the cost of farming will certainly increase, driving down farm incomes while driving up grocery prices. The costs of manufacturing, warehousing and transportation will also increase." - Sarah Palin

Now, before i get into way this is grossly mis-leading, while also being correct, I'll ask all can we seriously stop attacking the person personally and stick to attacking their views?? (BTW I'm a libertarian, so i could care less about her personally either way)

Sarah Palin, highlights the increase in cost, but leaves out the many subsidies, the farming industry enjoys due to government price floors, that have significantly raised cost on the average american for more than 30 years. This is dishonest politics at its best. If you really want to reduce prices on consumer goods, Mrs. Palin should have touched on the gross missuse of American Farming Subsidies.

I agree with her, because enegery will make the price of consumer goods increae as businesses pass on the cost to consumers, but the fact of the matter remains, the cost of these prices were already higher than they should be do to government intervention.

If you want to reduce price and this would go to Obama as well eliminate Farm Subsidies and price floors. We consistently produce an oversupply of most farming goods, which we end up dumping on the foreign market, distroting the price signals for food in foreign markets on a regular basis. This is an overall issue for a nother day, so i will not go into detail about it.

Yay
You are right on target on all points. I will quibble with one point and say this piece focused on energy policy so I don't think this was the place to discuss agriculture subsidies.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Sarah Palin, highlights the increase in cost, but leaves out the many subsidies, the farming industry enjoys due to government price floors, that have significantly raised cost on the average american for more than 30 years.

It's more like 60 years, at least. I lived in rural Illinois corn/soybean country for seven years, and I agree. But farmers vote overwhelmingly Republican!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Well there is parity between the cap and tax programs and there effects would be the same. Because one country takes month long vacations in August and the other doesn't wouldn't affect cap an tax.

I think it is also important to note that our dear leader has included increased unemployment benefits in cap and tax because they recognize there will be job loss.
Actually, there are many more differences between the American economy and the Spanish, that go far beyond month-long vacations. As well, the cap-and-trade programs have numerous differences as well.

I'm not advocating cap-and-trade, nor am I saying that we can't benefit from studying the cap-and-trade impact on Spain's economy. But we cannot extrapolate that the effect of cap-and-trade would be identical or even similar in the United States as the effect in Spain, because the disparity between the two countries is too great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies