Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:03 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
My comment is a result of a discussion I heard on "Fox News in the Morning" where it was suggested that the Media's overabundance of coverage on Jackson might be motivated by a desire to maintain political correctness. I thought about it, and I found myself agreeing.

Enough said.
Oh boy that explains it all.
Okay then "Fox News in the Morning" is foolish in that theory imo.

Enough said? I don't know about that one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 07:14 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
PBS doesn't have to worry about ratings the other outlets do. MJ had a world wide following. he was genius in dance, as well as composing, arranging, singing. he gave hundreds of millions to charity and was never found guilty of any crime. there really is no one else that practically everyone on the planet knew. he was famous for decades. he changed the face of music and dance. this is why they are covering him.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:20 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Oh boy that explains it all.
Okay then "Fox News in the Morning" is foolish in that theory imo.

Enough said? I don't know about that one!
"Fox News in the Morning" isn't that bad. Juan Williams (of the Wall Street Journal, and who is Black) is the one who brought up the topic. I thought he made a lot of sense. Still do.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:49 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
My comment is a result of a discussion I heard on "Fox News in the Morning" where it was suggested that the Media's overabundance of coverage on Jackson might be motivated by a desire to maintain political correctness. I thought about it, and I found myself agreeing.

Enough said.
Didnt they also say all the Jackson coverage "might be" a coverup masterminded by Obama to let the Ds push through the energy bill?

Why yes, they did.

And I watched -- and laughed at -- the damn Jackson funeral on the FOX channel -- they had a FOUR-CAMERA SPLIT SCREEN, which was more than the other networks had out there! -- all day long. FOX was out there whoring it up with the rest of the media.

You people are the biggest suckers walking around on hind legs I could ever imagine outside of some bad sci-fi. And you're so predictable. No wonder we have...well, things like the Jackson circus, for a different group of gullible fools. You people are the reason the rest of the world despises us all, just fyi.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Great.. they'll get about $2...
No. They will get the $ 3 million and probably more.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:25 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
On a lighter note...bet Palin's mad...really stole some of her I-want-that-Spotlight-to-Myself thunder!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
On a lighter note...bet Palin's mad...really stole some of her I-want-that-Spotlight-to-Myself thunder!
Yes indeed, I second that

Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
Kudos to "The News Hour" on PBS! They went straight to the important world news tonight. Started with Obama's trip to Russia, broke down the meetings with Medvedev and Putin, then ethnic strife in western China, then the Dow being way down, etc, etc...All this before we had to hear about the overblown, pretentious, and tacky "memorial service" for a drug addicted, mentally ill, once-upon-a-time has-been pop star who hasn't been a musical force for about 15 years!

CBS , ABC, and NBC news, of course, devoted essentially their entire half hour to MJ. They really understand what's important in the world I guess.
ABC, NBC, CBS, etc... are all watered down news "shows" for American's that have about a 2 minute attention span. Love PBS...

Old 07-07-2009, 08:48 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,630 times
Default Not really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
PBS doesn't have to worry about ratings the other outlets do. MJ had a world wide following. he was genius in dance, as well as composing, arranging, singing. he gave hundreds of millions to charity and was never found guilty of any crime. there really is no one else that practically everyone on the planet knew. he was famous for decades. he changed the face of music and dance. this is why they are covering him.
Yeah and that's why the networks news is losing credibility. I kept going back & forth between the three (CBS, NBC, and ABC) earlier tonight, and I never once heard Katie Couric talk about anything else. It was as if the violence in China and the new NATO offensive in Afghanistan and the President's first trip to Russia and the political crisis in Honduras...etc. etc. were happening in another universe. I thought all this hollywood death & funeral stuff was best left to Entertainment Tonight and Inside Edition. I can understand spending the second segment on Jackson and maybe the closing piece, but the whole show? (CBS) or pushing a historic meeting between world leaders to second tier behind the memorial for a has-been??

And BTW: In my opinion Quincy Jones made MJ in the beginning of his solo career and alot of artists had just as much or more talent than him and were just (if not more) influential in the last 30 years than he was. Think of Prince, U2, Run-DMC, Guns & Roses, Bob Marley, the Clash, and Madonna. Off The Wall, Thriller, and Bad were great albums and very influential. Dangerous and the others were good, but by then they were considered "comebacks" and he tried really hard to be hip again. Of course his vids were good and his dancing in the 80's was new and exciting, but it eventually wore thin and became tired exepct in Eastern Europe and Japan maybe. And your estimation of his popularity is based upon what you hear on CNN no doubt. Osama Bin laden is known all over the world also, but that doesn't make him popular!

Last edited by roncorey1; 07-07-2009 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-07-2009, 09:21 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Katie Couric reports light weight stuff anymore, that is why she is lowest in the news ratings.

No doubt lots of people made a ton of money off his death and his relatives will be raking in the money for years. I think they should pay off the memorial debt and not pass it on. People talk about rich people being bailed out by the tax payers----this is a huge bail out.

Also, his children do not have to go around with a scarf over their face anymore I noticed. Maybe they will have kind of a normal like now. Seems the weirder he got the more popular. Americans must love their weird celebs. They all get the most attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies