Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:56 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You're right, we weren't. They have freaking open houses though.

They're on the wrong side of this issue and history. Anyways, it'll be decided by the people that should do so...
people can still get fired for being black, or white, or yellow. they live in right to work states. people have to prove discrimination. I think they will have a hard time. it's very hard to prove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You are really reaching. Why are you so hot on defending the pool owners? They don't mean anything to you. They're in the wrong, so it seems.

because I am a capitalist. government doesn't run businesses, business owners do.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:53 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,134,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
I thought the 50's were behind us!
in moving back to pa--i discovered a majority of the residents here NEVER left the mentality of the 50's----how ironic this occurred in the philly area as this is one of the fastest growing areas for the black muslim community

Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Everyone's a little bit racist. ((See Avenue Q)) Everyone's got their biases. Even I'll admit that I have my biases. However, things like this shouldn't happen. Whether it's the business's "right" or not, this situation is a sad example of how some people are.

Having racist/bias thoughts and opinions is one thing. Acting on them is another.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:21 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times
Here's another article on this incident, that seems to have a more balanced tone to it, and does not say that anyone came up to them after arriving at the pool and asked them to leave. Sounds like the membership was rescinded 2 days later and may have been more based on the fact that the pool may not comfortably hold 65 kids from the camp plus other members, as opposed to race. But of course its automatically assumed because the kids were black that it was based on race. If it was a camp with all white kids, this would never have made the news.
Ronnie Polaneczky: A SPLASH OF COLD WATER | Philadelphia Daily News | 07/09/2009 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20090709_Ronnie_Polaneczky__A_SPLASH_OF_COLD_WATER .html - broken link)

Old 07-09-2009, 09:24 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
This is a disgusting story. I feel for the kids in involved. As a private organization, they do have a right to set their rules. If that was going to be enforced, they should have at least had the decency to do it in another way.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:18 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,632,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
people can still get fired for being black, or white, or yellow. they live in right to work states. people have to prove discrimination. I think they will have a hard time. it's very hard to prove.

I really don't understand your problem. In this country you can NOT fire ANYONE for being Black, White, Brown, or Yellow. That is ILLEGAL. PERIOD.

If you are truly a business owner, I would love to know the name of your business.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:27 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Philly couldn't afford to open many city pools so the kids have to swim somewhere. Racism is alive and well in Philly and Akron Ohio. White on black, black on white.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:30 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Philly made headlines for having black panthers( thugs), intimidating voters with clubs the last election. Obama's justice department said that was fine and dropped the charges against them. Until you start cracking down on everybody who displays racism this kind of crap will continue.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:15 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
Duesler, according to Gomez, said that the club "underestimated the impact" the campers would have on the club, that they "fundamentally changed the atmosphere." And he stressed that race "had nothing to do with the decision" to break the club's agreement with Creative Steps.
So maybe they were a bit unruly and loud?

Still looks bad.

Have Jesse and Al shown up yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies