Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 04:10 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Here's another article on this incident, that seems to have a more balanced tone to it, and does not say that anyone came up to them after arriving at the pool and asked them to leave. Sounds like the membership was rescinded 2 days later and may have been more based on the fact that the pool may not comfortably hold 65 kids from the camp plus other members, as opposed to race. But of course its automatically assumed because the kids were black that it was based on race. If it was a camp with all white kids, this would never have made the news.
Ronnie Polaneczky: A SPLASH OF COLD WATER | Philadelphia Daily News | 07/09/2009 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20090709_Ronnie_Polaneczky__A_SPLASH_OF_COLD_WATER .html - broken link)
So since the spin machine has kicked in afterburners, let's look at some of the comments of this more "balanced" article that makes this a non-racial issue.

Trouble began immediately, says Wright, when she heard several white members make disparaging racial remarks about the campers, who are black and Hispanic.

"I heard a white lady say, 'What are all these black kids doing here? They might do something to my child,'

"there was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion" and "the atmosphere."

So maybe I'm jaded but how would you or your children interpret these remarks if they were used against them?

So the spin is that there were too many children in this group, I guess splitting up the group on alternate days or some other solution just couldn't happen.

Sorry but there is only one rational (or irational outlook, depending on your maturity), can can be drawn from this and you know it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 04:18 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,995,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You are really reaching. Why are you so hot on defending the pool owners? They don't mean anything to you. They're in the wrong, so it seems.
Did anybody read the entire article? One of the people who filed the complaint about the day care center's kids said that two other schools had similarly been dismissed, and those schools had no minority children. He said the reason that all the schools were told not to come back was because of extreme overcrowding in the pool, and too many children per lifeguard.

I'm not defending anybody or saying that racism didn't take place; I'm just pointing out what was written in the article and seems to be overlooked by everybody who wants to jump to conclusions and jump on the racism bandwagon

Old 07-09-2009, 04:23 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,078 times
Regardless of what happened, just to clear one thing up:

Any entity that offers it's services to the general public is "public accommodation" under the law and subject to anti-discrimination laws, private entity or otherwise. This doesn't apply if it is made explicitly invite-only, such as a party at your house or something.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:26 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times
This is shameful very shameful.

But as a private pool maybe they don't need to give a reason legally not sure what the contract says they signed.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:27 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Did anybody read the entire article? One of the people who filed the complaint about the day care center's kids said that two other schools had similarly been dismissed, and those schools had no minority children. He said the reason that all the schools were told not to come back was because of extreme overcrowding in the pool, and too many children per lifeguard.

I'm not defending anybody or saying that racism didn't take place; I'm just pointing out what was written in the article and seems to be overlooked by everybody who wants to jump to conclusions and jump on the racism bandwagon
I read it the same way. I think I'd get out too if 60 campers or even 30 all decided to get into the pool at once. It seems the article is pushing the black part of it.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:43 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I read it the same way. I think I'd get out too if 60 campers or even 30 all decided to get into the pool at once. It seems the article is pushing the black part of it.
The article wasn't pushing anything....the kids said they heard what the people were saying about them...and thats ashame.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:50 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times
Quote:

Well they paid 1900. for the right to swim. They sure took their money when they were over booking memberships.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:15 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Did anybody read the entire article?
I did, and given the time to figure out the proper spin, I am not surprised that they came up with a plausible explanation, but spin always raises more questions than they answer.

Are they saying that they didn't know how many children would be using the pool; then how did they come to a price for the use of it?

If the problem is based upon the number of children why not simply stipulate that only a proper number be allowed to use the pool during any given visit?

No pun intended but the spin doesn't hold water.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
By the way, Hunting Valley isn't in Philly, it's in suburban Montgomery County.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:13 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Swim Club Members: "Nothing to Do With Race" | NBC Philadelphia

Apparently, they had turned away a couple of other groups of campers due to over crowding and supervision issues at the pool.

Towards the end, a club member (black) disputes that the club is in any way racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies