Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:23 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
All those people I used to see on the news because they passed out jogging in 90 degree weather must have been tourists
Naw, if they passed out jogging they were probably Southern natives. The ones jogging past their prostate bodies were the tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 02:24 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,848,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm666 View Post
People from Mississippi are fat. With an adult obesity rate of 33%, Mississippi has gobbled its way to the "chubbiest state" crown for the fifth year in a row, according to a new joint report by Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Alabama, West Virginia and Tennessee aren't far behind, with obesity rates over 30%. In fact, eight of the 10 fattest states are in the South.Why Are Southerners So Fat? - TIME
Their food is delicious.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:25 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
One problem is that people eat the same portions of food that their grandparents ate, only today most people have office jobs. My grandpa would eat 4 eggs, 3 biscuits, 4 pieces of bacon, etc just for breakfast everyday but he was skinny as a rail because he worked in the tobacco fields 12 hours a day

Old 07-09-2009, 03:01 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
All those people I used to see on the news because they passed out jogging in 90 degree weather must have been tourists
I can jog in 90 degree weather just fine. It's a little more difficult, but if you're in shape and drink plenty of fluids to replenish the liquid lost in sweat then you'll be okay.

If you're not in shape and you overexert yourself and don't drink water, you're going to pass out.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:01 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I live in CO now, but while in the military I was stationed in the South. My experience has been that the people in South are pretty much lazy. They don't walk anywhere, the rarely exercise and frankly they eat like pigs. So it's no wonder that they lead the nation in terms of obese people. I remember coming back from deployments while in the military and thinking to myself that most of the people I saw around town were just disgusting.

Here in CO we enjoy good food, alcohol and a good time too. Then we go running the next morning. I can't imagine why anyone would want to go through life obese. A little overweight okay, maybe you work behind a desk... but obese? That just means you are a lazy pig. Don't try to say that it's because you are relaxed, or your food is better, or your priorities are straight. There's nothing to admire about being obese. You're a pig. Own it.
Spot on.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:06 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
You do...CLAM CHOWDER
EEEW!

Boogers in a shell is all clams are...

Old 07-09-2009, 04:16 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Culture. I think people in the South are obsessed with everything being "BIG".

Guys who are 6'0", weigh 285lbs and drive a big truck, are the thing.
He'll be praised "that's a BIG BOY"

If you are 6'0" 185lbs and ride a bike, you are considered a scrawny nerd.
"You're disappearing!"

BIG Food
BIG Trucks
BIG TV's
BIG House
BIG Chair
BIG Drink
little activity.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:31 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Culture. I think people in the South are obsessed with everything being "BIG".

Guys who are 6'0", weigh 285lbs and drive a big truck, are the thing.
He'll be praised "that's a BIG BOY"

If you are 6'0" 185lbs and ride a bike, you are considered a scrawny nerd.
"You're disappearing!"

BIG Food
BIG Trucks
BIG TV's
BIG House
BIG Chair
BIG Drink
little activity.
You forgot Big wives.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:39 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The Black population is high in the southern states. That's one big reason.
Please explain how this is relevant. Since it hardly explains the existence of fat white people in the South.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:42 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The Black population is high in the southern states. That's one big reason.
How does that explain West Virginia, Oklahoma, and Kentucky being in the top 10? Black people make up less than 8% of the population for those states with WV coming in at a whopping 3.5%. Georgia and Maryland are ranked 3rd and 4th percentage wise for their black populations yet they are 13th and 19th on the obesity list.

Fattest State Weighs Its Options

State Rankings--Statistical Abstract of the United States--Black or African-American Population Alone, Percent (http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/ranks/rank06.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies